Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Jackson kicking the flag

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Jackson kicking the flag

Not that it matters now but, he kicked it after the play was over. It was 1st and 10 then he got a 15 yard penalty but they called it 1st and 10 after marking off the 15 yards. I was screaming about this and the dogs went to hide in the bed room. Just watched it again and dont understand the call. Anyone have an answer?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    maybe cause it wasn't part of the play.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's a dead ball foul, after the play, so the first down was already had, then you mark off 15 yards from there with a new series of downs

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=IM3;3471253]It's a dead ball foul, after the play, so the first down was already had, then you mark off 15 yards from there with a new series of downs[/QUOTE]

Thanks,

So if it was 2nd down and he came up short the 15 yards would be tacked on and be 3rd down but because it was a 1st down they get a free pass? Not really a question just typing to make myself understand.

Thanks again

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NEWNYJETS;3471270]Thanks,

So if it was 2nd down and he came up short the 15 yards would be tacked on and be 3rd down but because it was a 1st down they get a free pass? Not really a question just typing to make myself understand.

Thanks again[/QUOTE]

Yes that would be the case.

Had the play been overturned and been incomplete it would have been 2nd and 25

It doesn't make sense, but it is what it is. The same way in the Saints-Cards game one team had two penalties on a play and the other had one and they both offset eachother.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    What a stupid move by Jackson. The second I saw that happened I was screaming in the stands for a flag. All of the Chargers fans said no way there's going to be a flag. Sure enough, I was right. That worked out nicely as even though the challenge didn't go our way, they still lost 15.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    What about the play earlier in the game where the Charges passed it to Jackson and he ran for a first down but it was called back for a block in the back.

The play was 1st and 12 after the penalty, WTF was up with that?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Chupa;3471307]What about the play earlier in the game where the Charges passed it to Jackson and he ran for a first down but it was called back for a block in the back.

The play was 1st and 12 after the penalty, WTF was up with that?[/QUOTE]

Spot foul that happened way past the line of scrimmage. While we are on the subject someone please explain the hands to the face penalty Wright drew on the punt. He was hit right at the line of scrimmage so their was no way it was during the kick. Why is it not enforced like an off sides penalty where the kicking team can take the 5 yards from the line of scrimmage?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    holding is accessed from the spot of the foul if it occurs forward of the line of scrimmage. Since this one happened 8 yards downfield the 10 yard penalty made it first and 12

as for hands to the face call, the ref said it occured "during the kick" not "prior to the kick" so the rules on a change of possession are the ones that get applied

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;3471342]holding is accessed from the spot of the foul if it occurs forward of the line of scrimmage. Since this one happened 8 yards downfield the 10 yard penalty made it first and 12

as for hands to the face call, the ref said it occured "during the kick" not "prior to the kick" so the rules on a change of possession are the ones that get applied[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the reply. That's the thing though. The instant the ball was snapped, Wright tried to release and drew the hands to the face. The ball couldn't have been kicked yet. I'm probably misintereting the rule.