Thread: Deep class of DE's - Draft Insider breakdown

Deep class of DE's - Draft Insider breakdown

From ESPN Insider:

[B][U]Four DEs could be first-round selections[/U][/B]
    Posted by Todd McShay

My colleague Kevin Weidl wrote on Monday about the strength of the defensive tackle class, saying it is perhaps the top position in the 2010 draft. As the deadline for underclassmen to enter the draft approaches, however, the defensive ends are closing the gap.

In recent weeks we've seen four underclass defensive ends declare who could be first-round picks in April, including big names with complete games and others with a lot of talent but room to improve.

Georgia Tech's Derrick Morgan is the most complete prospect of the group, a player with speed off the edge and the size and strength to hold the edge against the run who could be a top-10 pick. Florida's Carlos Dunlap comes with some red flags because of a recent DUI arrest and questions about his work ethic and maturity, but he is a physical specimen at 6-foot-5 and 293 pounds.

Jason Pierre-Paul of South Florida is next on the list, and while he is still a bit raw after playing only one year at the FBS level he was very productive this season and flashes impressive pass rushing skills. Finally there's Everson Griffen of USC, who needs to polish his technique and recognition skills but is a stout 6-3, 272-pounder who can rush the passer and hold his ground at the point of attack against the run.

There is also an interesting pair of underclass ends in the class who project as outside linebackers in 3-4 schemes. Virginia Tech's Jason Worilds and Ohio State's Thaddeus Gibson are effective pass rushers but lack the size to play as traditional 4-3 ends, so look for them to become rush linebackers at the next level.

Keep in mind that the underclassmen above supplement a senior class that includes players like Texas' Sergio Kindle, Clemson's Ricky Sapp, Mississippi's Greg Hardy and Michigan's Brandon Graham, all of whom should be off the board by the end of the second round.

That makes 10 ends/outside linebackers who could be first or second-rounders in addition to eight defensive tackles with first or second-round grades, meaning we could see more than a quarter of the picks in the first two rounds come from the defensive line group. That's impressive.
    Last edited by Kleckomania; 01-21-2010 at 10:06 PM.

My wish is that Carlos Dunlap somehow drops past the Top 25 and the Jets trade up to get him. He's 6'6" and 295 and is so athletic that he plays like an athletic OLB that is 6"2' and 245. The guy has character questions, but so did Warren Sapp coming out of college.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE]Georgia Tech's Derrick Morgan is the most complete prospect of the group, a player with speed off the edge and the size and strength to hold the edge against the run who could be a top-10 pick.[/QUOTE]

wow- that's a doozy....Morgan gets annihilated at the point of attack against the run...Pierre Paul is a much better run defender up front compared to Morgan...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Kleckomania;3471426]My wish is that Carlos Dunlap somehow drops past the Top 25 and the Jets trade up to get him. He's 6'6" and 295 and is so athletic that he plays like an athletic OLB that is 6"2' and 245. The guy has character questions, but so did Warren Sapp coming out of college.[/QUOTE]

the difference is Sapp played like a monster on the field and never had motivation questions...Dunlap is fractionally consistent and has always had motivational issues- dangerous intangible....

[QUOTE=Kleckomania;3471426]My wish is that Carlos Dunlap somehow drops past the Top 25 and the Jets trade up to get him. He's 6'6" and 295 and is so athletic that he plays like an athletic OLB that is 6"2' and 245. The guy has character questions, but so did Warren Sapp coming out of college.[/QUOTE]

Ive only seen him and Florida a handful of times. I didnt realize how big Dunlap is. I know he is really athletic, but does he have the strength and agressiveness to play the 3-4 end? If so he would become an intriguing prospect for the Jets if he does fall to the bottom of round one.

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3471510]the difference is Sapp played like a monster on the field and never had motivation questions...Dunlap is fractionally consistent and has always had motivational issues- dangerous intangible....[/QUOTE]

The advantage for any DL or even LB that we draft under Rex is that:

1. We don't need them to start right away. I never thought about it before, but Bit might have been right that Gholston was the same way. Project players are fine if you don't them right away, and that can be said about someone like Dunlap and someone like Gholston before him.

2. Rex and his staff have an excellent reputation/resume with defensive player development...It's a tremendously underrated aspect of his coaching.

3. Rex and his staff are the most complete defensive staff we've had in years, and imo that makes them the most likely to stay and last here. Herm switched coordinators like that's what we paid him to do, and Mangini just never found himself a DC. Rex is his own DC, but Pettine, Thurman, and whoever else are a very strong group of guys. Always surround yourself with talent...I read that Rob Ryan thinks Rex is the best coach in the league period...obviously he's biased but there's something to be said about an experienced coach who surrounds himself with talented staff he fully believes in. This will allow for a certain attitude to be built into the team and D, and hopefully it's draftees.

Just some things to play with...I hate Dunlap as a prospect but if we picked him then there must be a reason. No homer.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 01-22-2010 at 03:03 PM.