Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Bull Arena

Red Bull Arena

Almost done, it's in a class of it's own when it comes to American soccer facilities. It's very European looking, compared to other MLS stadiums that have sprung up the last 5 years. The capacity will be just over 25,000. I wonder if the Red Bulls can fill the place up.

http://www.wfan.com/Red-Bull-Arena-U...8-2010/6165063

1/18/2010

Last edited by Tyler Durden; 01-21-2010 at 10:55 PM.

Banned
    Red Bulls might be able to get decent attendance like 15-16,000 thanks to the nice new stadium and a large contingent of Latin Americans in NJ but that's optimistic.

Cue the obligatory Come Back to My Butt follow-on post to contradict me saying how succesful Major League Soccer is.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Not bad for an inflatable.

Game averages, per Wikipedia

1996 - 23,898
    1997 - 16,899
    1998 - 16,520
    1999 - 14,706
    2000 - 17,621
    2001 - 20,806
    2002 - 18,148
    2003 - 15,822
    2004 - 17,194
    2005 - 15,077
    2006 - 14,570
    2007 - 16,530
    2008 - 16,967
    2009 - 12,229

Worst record in the MLS in 2009, probably explains the drop in attendance.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Game averages, per Wikipedia

1996 - 23,898
    1997 - 16,899
    1998 - 16,520
    1999 - 14,706
    2000 - 17,621
    2001 - 20,806
    2002 - 18,148
    2003 - 15,822
    2004 - 17,194
    2005 - 15,077
    2006 - 14,570
    2007 - 16,530
    2008 - 16,967
    2009 - 12,229

Worst record in the MLS in 2009, probably explains the drop in attendance.
    Yea, the terrible product on the field last season is definitely the main contributor to the drop in attendance. I think they will fill the place up early on, but the attendance will drop a bit after that. I would imagine the average attendance will jump up to 16,000-18,000. I've been to about 5 games the last few seasons and they have a solid, die-hard fan base (Empire Supporters Club) that have been going to every game since the Metrostars days. And that stadium looks pretty awesome. I believe they modeled it after their "big brother" team in Austria, Red Bull Salzburg. Except of course much less seating. I could be mistaken about that. I'm just a casual soccer fan, not a die-hard by any means. I'll have to make it out there for a game or two this season just to check the place out.

BTW, that '07 attendance figure is inflated a bit. That first Beckham game back in August of that year was an MLS record for attendance and was like 4 or 5 games worth of attendance crammed into one. I believe they drew around 65,000 that day.
    Last edited by DevsJetsYanks88; 01-21-2010 at 11:19 PM.

Win and people will come. I wish they'd built that stadium in Queens instead. I'd have gone to a few games. I hate going to Jersey and only do it for the Jets.

I wish they'd put down a real grass pitch. Soccer on FieldTurf is terrible to watch.

There's going to be a new MLS team in PA next year, the Philadelphia Union, and they are building a brand new stadium in Chester, PA. The artistic rendering looks pretty nice and they are at least doing it right by using real grass.

Quote Originally Posted by VivaSanchez View Post
    Win and people will come. I wish they'd built that stadium in Queens instead. I'd have gone to a few games. I hate going to Jersey and only do it for the Jets.
    Yea, I never would have went to any games if it wasn't for my proximity to the stadium. It's a pretty good time. You can get tickets very cheap, probably around $10-15 in the parking lot and virtually sit in any section you want. We would always have some beers in the parking lot at the ESC tailgate, and then go stand behind the goal with them the entire game.

Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    I wish they'd put down a real grass pitch. Soccer on FieldTurf is terrible to watch.

There's going to be a new MLS team in PA next year, the Philadelphia Union, and they are building a brand new stadium in Chester, PA. The artistic rendering looks pretty nice and they are at least doing it right by using real grass.

Red Bull Arena is far superior looking than that stadium being built PA

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty Red Bull Arena will have real grass, notice how it's not very green, well that's because it's January.

EDIT:

Here is a good picture, looks like real grass.

Last edited by Tyler Durden; 01-21-2010 at 11:26 PM.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it is real grass, notice how it's not very green, well that's because it's January.

EDIT:

Would it make sense to plant sod in January, with more than two months before the season begins? I'm not so sure. I hope it's grass, though.

http://redbulls.theoffside.com/playe...ive-video.html

“Kentucky Blue Grass” will be the grass of choice for this bad boy.
    Yup, same grass they have at Yankee Stadium.

It is a grass field.

From the NY Times (10/15/09) On Wednesday, only hours before the Red Bulls lost their 27th straight road game in Major League Soccer, the first pieces of the grass playing surface, Kentucky bluegrass, were rolled out at the team’s new $200 million stadium — Red Bull Arena — in Harrison, N.J.

Would it make sense to plant sod in January, with more than two months before the season begins? I'm not so sure. I hope it's grass, though.
    Looks like it is indeed grass.

http://wvhooligan.com/2009/10/15/the...in-new-jersey/

The Grass In New Jersey
    MLS, NEW YORK RED BULLS, STADIUM TALK

A lot of folks have been talking today and yesterday about some green stuff that is getting rolled out in New Jersey. Yes I am talking about the grass that is being installed at the new Red Bull Arena.

Yesterday the first pieces of the grass playing surface were rolled out at the team's new $200 million stadium in Harrison, N.J.

The grass is only one component of what the club is calling a cutting-edge underground field drainage and turf-heating system that uses the SubAir System.

After losing their 27th straight road game last night at least the future looks a little bit better with this new grass surface that they will get to play on next year. You’d have to think they will be at least a little bit better because of it next year.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty Red Bull Arena will have real grass, notice how it's not very green, well that's because it's January.

EDIT:

Right you are, Tyler...

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/.../goal_post.png

Yankees and Mets put down the sod for their stadiums during the winter.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 01-21-2010 at 11:34 PM.

2nd guy is a spiting image Boris Yeltsin, former president of Russia.

Last edited by Tyler Durden; 01-21-2010 at 11:39 PM.

Oh, ok. Good stuff then.

The first game at the place will be a friendly between Red Bull and Brazilian team Santos FC. I'm going to go out on a limb and predict Pele will be there.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 01-21-2010 at 11:44 PM.

The first game at the place will be a friendly between Red Bull and Brazilian team Santos FC. I'm going to go out on a limb and predict Pele will be there.
    You know which team? The only info I can find on the first game says they are playing Chicago on March 27. Can't find anything about the friendly match you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    You know which team? The only info I can find on the first game says they are playing Chicago on March 27. Can't find anything about the friendly match you mentioned.
    Santos FC, on March 20th.

http://goal.com/en-us/news/1110/majo...in-new-stadium