Thread: ESPN: Marty Schottenheimer wanted to be Bills' head coach

ESPN: Marty Schottenheimer wanted to be Bills' head coach

[url]http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/01/espn-marty-schottenheimer-wanted-to-be-bills-head-coach/1[/url]

Apparently Ralph Wilson didn't consider him a candidate because he wasn't "comfortable" with Marty as a candidate. In other words Marty would have wanted control of all personnel decisions, so they went with an HC who would let Wilson retain some control.

This explains why Shotty Jr. wasn't interested, but on another level I think this is great news for us. We already have two well coached divisional opponents, and even with Marty's losing playoff record he still has a track record of turning bad franchises around and making them regular season winners.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=XingDaorong;3471792][url]http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/01/espn-marty-schottenheimer-wanted-to-be-bills-head-coach/1[/url]

Apparently Ralph Wilson didn't consider him a candidate because he wasn't "comfortable" with Marty as a candidate. In other words Marty would have wanted control of all personnel decisions, so they went with an HC who would let Wilson retain some control.

This explains why Shotty Jr. wasn't interested, but on another level I think this is great news for us. We already have two well coached divisional opponents, and even with Marty's losing playoff record he still has a track record of turning bad franchises around and making them regular season winners.[/QUOTE]

Agreed that this is good for us. Marty would have been perfect foir them. Maybe their GM didn't think he had enough of a hillbilly accent? I heard the press conference when he announced his choice and he makes Jethro from the Beverly Hillbillies sound like William F. Buckley.

[QUOTE=RIJetFan;3471823]Agreed that this is good for us. Marty would have been perfect foir them. [/QUOTE]

Absolutely. Can't imagine a more perfect fit. Marty has built winners everywhere he's been. The key is to fire him right when they become a playoff team though. :-)

Foolish decision by Buffalo IMO.

Veteran
    Wow, what a disaster. If there is one thing you can't knock about Marty, its his ability to build a winner and build respect. Which is pretty much exactly what Buffalo needs. What a debacle up there. :shakehead

Any bad team that turns down Marty Schottenheimer deserves to suck. Marty could've made the Bills 8-8 easily in his first year.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=SDJETS;3472178]Wow, what a disaster. If there is one thing you can't knock about Marty, its his ability to build a winner and build respect. Which is pretty much exactly what Buffalo needs. What a debacle up there. :shakehead[/QUOTE]

He really is amazing at turning around a team. Making them tough, hardnosed teams that play defense. Something I don't want in Buffalo.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=SDJETS;3472178]Wow, what a disaster. If there is one thing you can't knock about Marty, its his ability to build a winner and build respect. Which is pretty much exactly what Buffalo needs. What a debacle up there. :shakehead[/QUOTE]

I agree 100% !!!!!!!!

The Bills WERE the model franchise that I saw up close and personal when I lived in Buffalo, from 1991-1994 while I was going to graduate school. I have never seen a team more connected to its fan base, EVER!! and the players when I was there were FANTASTIC!!!! That team taught me about the game and made me a true fan of NFL football in a way I hadn't up until then despite me having been a Jets fan since I was 6, back in 1969.

As a Jets fan I was often sad because we seemed insane and inept, Kotite, Mud Bowls, [B]Clean Bathrooms[/B] etc (remember that one), when it came to how the team was run and it was actually then that I kept saying GOOD GREIF with regards to my home team the NYJ.

But now the roles are clearly reversed, the Jets are now a model franchise with Rex, Tanny and Woody at the head you have a real winner and I for one am proud that I am Jets fan; and as far as the Bills go, it all so sad and I truly feel badly for all of the wonderful people in Western NY who have to suffer at the hands of this now poorly run organization. And unfortunately I have to say for their team, the Bills, [B]Good Grief[/B] and it actually pains me to do so:O

Veteran
    [QUOTE=chirorob;3472221]He really is amazing at turning around a team. Making them tough, hardnosed teams that play defense. Something I don't want in Buffalo.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, as a Jets fan, I couldn't be happier. As an NFL fan though, its sad. Marty desperately wants to be coaching again, and the Bills desperately need a guy like Marty, and yet their owner is such a twerp that he vetoed it? Isn't that where Goodell should just kind of step in quietly and whisper in Wilson's ear that perhaps its in his best interest to, um, step back? ;)