Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Kellen Clemens?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Kellen Clemens?

Any chance he's back next year or do we get a veteran QB to back up Sanchez?

Jets Insider VIP
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Minkaveli;3477883]Any chance he's back next year or do we get a veteran QB to back up Sanchez?[/QUOTE]

I'd like to see a veteran brought in. I'd take a Kerry Collins or even Jeff Garcia type.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;3477886]I'd like to see a veteran brought in. I'd take a Kerry Collins or even Jeff Garcia type.[/QUOTE]

+1

Kellen blows. I have 0 confidence in him if Sanchez went down with a major inury next year. Ainge is nothing too. Just another unknown 2nd or 3rd string QB on the Jets who gets overrated by the fans because he made a fluke play in the preseason.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Garcia ftw

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, I am no longer concerned about a "veteran" presence behind Sanchez.

Sanchez is now the MAN.

He proved tonite that he has the goods to be an elite QB.

I want an Ainge behind him in case he gets hurt, but I no longer want a veteran QB to "mentor" him.

He is now a cagey vet.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    First, Clemens is gone.

That said, I don't think bringing in a Vet other than a Jason Campbell type would be a better option than giving the back up role to Ainge.

Sanchez is not a rookie anymore. He is a playoff tested QB. If he somehow goes down, than Ainge should be able to run the Ground and Pound. Hell even Clemens managed a blowout against Tampa.

Ainge > Clemens.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Like the above posters said, i dont think we need a veteran QB, but Kellen has to go. He flat out sucks ace

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Time to bring back Chad

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pcola;3477919]First, Clemens is gone.

That said, I don't think bringing in a Vet other than a Jason Campbell type would be a better option than giving the back up role to Ainge.

Sanchez is not a rookie anymore. He is a playoff tested QB. If he somehow goes down, than Ainge should be able to run the Ground and Pound. Hell even Clemens managed a blowout against Tampa.

Ainge > Clemens.[/QUOTE]

Ainge may be better than Clemens but that's like saying Vernon Gholston is better than Andre Wadsworth. Both of them blow. Clemens managed our offense in a win against the worst defense in the entire league with an inept rookie qb who couldn't buy a 1st down against our defense. Brad Smith could have started at QB and we would have won that game.

I had my heart broken in '99 with Vinny going down with a season ending injury and POS Rick Mirer quarterbacking a Super Bowl-worthy roster. Heart broke again in '03 with Chad going down in preseason. I want a decent backup QB not some piece of garbage like Clemens or Ainge.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I say we do need a vet, not because Sanchez is not the bonifide starter but because if he gets hurt we want someone that can at least play a conservative roll. Collins would be good in my mind. I'm not sure about Ainge, he looked good in preseason last year but then again Ratliff and Clowney are perrenial preseason stars.

I think that for some reason the Jets are fine with Clemens as the backup.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have to wonder who's out there for us though. Clemens is pretty f*cking awful all things said, a pretty uncharacteristic miss for Tanny but he gets a mulligan or two after delivering on a franchise QB. I don't know about Garcia, he used to be good but now he's a bit long in the tooth, same goes for Kerry Collins. One has a noodle arm, the other is an INT machine, and both are closing in on 40.

Imo I would go with either Jason Campbell, Tarvaris Jackson, or Brodie Croyle as our backup QB if any of them reach UFA status. Croyle sounds laughable now but the Chiefs threw him out against the Ravens in Week 1 and he threw for 2 TDs and no picks.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=VincenzoTestaverde;3477933]Ainge may be better than Clemens but that's like saying Vernon Gholston is better than Andre Wadsworth. Both of them blow.

I had my heart broken in '99 with Vinny going down with a season ending injury and POS Rick Mirer quarterbacking a Super Bowl-worthy roster. Heart broke again in '03 with Chad going down in preseason. I want a decent backup QB not some piece of garbage like Clemens or Ainge.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you 100%. Getting a backup like a David Carr or Billy Volek is not about mentoring Sanchez, but being able to hold down a playoff run if Sanchez gets hurt for more than 3 games.

Sanchez is for real. future All Pro.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't mind bringing Chad back in if he's willing to. I doubt he's going to settle for a backup role. He'll start for the Browns next year or something.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;3477954]I wouldn't mind bringing Chad back in if he's willing to. I doubt he's going to settle for a backup role.[B] He'll start for the Browns next year or something[/B].[/QUOTE]

lol... prepare yourself to see Mike Holmgren back on the sidelines by week 8 if that happens. Mangini is such a pompous idiot he would actually talk Holmgren into making that move.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=VincenzoTestaverde;3477989]lol... prepare yourself to see Mike Holmgren back on the sidelines by week 8 if that happens. Mangini is such a pompous idiot he would actually talk Holmgren into making that move.[/QUOTE]

...Really? Really really? Mangini's the pompous idiot here?

Clemens will be banished into the abyss. Good guy and I wish him the best, but his time here was a fail.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;3477954]I wouldn't mind bringing Chad back in if he's willing to. I doubt he's going to settle for a backup role. He'll start for the Browns next year or something.[/QUOTE]

Chad would be an excellent backup QB as he is very smart and can come in and keep a team together incase Sanchez goes down for a game or 2 but IDK if he would be willing to except a straight up back up position without atleast a shot at the starting position

As for Clemens he just doesnt serve much of a purpose for us, hes still young but doesnt seem to have what it takes to be productive enough in an emergency scenario so might as well look for a vet that can give your team a chance if your starter goes down.....the Chiefs Thigpen made some good plays last year before they got Cassell, he could be a possible option along with the others already mentioned

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have no problem with looking to upgrade over Kellen....but Kerry Collins is not an upgrade, he sucks, always has, always will. His 73.5 Career QB rating speaks volumes.

Garcia used to be good, but does anybody really think we're going to be getting some more magic out of a 40 year old Jeff Garcia who never had a strong arm to begin with and much of his game was based on mobility? That's not the route we should be going down.

As for Chad, lol, he'd be lucky to physically even be able to throw the ball anymore, nevermind play QB at a high level. I think that route has run it's course. Nevermind, I'm sure Chad would rather backup for about 30 other teams before he'd come back here to backup.

I'd be interested in someone like Jason Campbell, but it sounds like the Redskins are planning on keeping him. That sucks.

Like I said in the other thread, the "veteran mentor" stuff is generally overrated. The purpose of the coaching staff is to develop the players, its not the job of the veterans on the team. And our "veteran mentor" for Sanchez is a 14 year NFL veteran, also known as our QB coach Matt Cavanaugh.

If you can find a backup QB candidate who can actually play a little and isn't ancient, like a Jason Campbell, I'm all ears. Until then, might as well stick with what we have. If nothing else, it's cheaper then the rest of the crap we'd have to overpay for.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    73.5 career rating > 59.7

Anything is an upgrade over Clemens

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=IM3;3478026]73.5 career rating > 59.7

Anything is an upgrade over Clemens[/QUOTE]

Not to make excuses for him, but 85% of that playing time was accumulated behind the worst O-Line ever assembled. If Kellen had the chance to start multiple games and actually get into a groove offensively on this team, I'm assuming he'd perform up to Kerry Collins's baseline. Which isn't good mind you, it's just illustrating how much Kerry Collins sucks at football. And that's before we start talking about potential decline of a 37 year old QB.

At least Clemens would be making ~1 million to suck, it'd probably cost ~2.5 per for Collins, and he's not an upgrade at all in my eyes.