Thread: Paulie, been watching any Milan lately?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Paulie, been watching any Milan lately?

Ronaldinho is ON FIRE. He'd become a lazy bum, not trying anything. Since Leonoardo has given him the keys he's taken command. WOW. I've seen a few highlights of the past games, and he's not the same player.

Back to his old self, Barca mode.
    Last edited by RaoulDuke; 01-27-2010 at 07:15 AM.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I have been. Ronaldhino has been very good, very surprising, actually. When Kaka left I thought they would have trouble finding a guy taking the reins on the pitch and controlling a game, and for a while they did -- but now Ronaldhino seems to be stepping into that role.

The Milan derby was a few days ago with Milan only 6 points back behind Inter. Unfortunately, Inter won and pulled 9 points clear in Serie A. They are truly the best team in the whole league.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    The game where he scored 3 or 4 (right before the Inter game), was incredible. He could've scored 6 if he'd put them all in.

WTF is Dida still doing on that team? He's a disaster waiting to happen

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    The game where he scored 3 or 4 (right before the Inter game), was incredible. He could've scored 6 if he'd put them all in.

WTF is Dida still doing on that team? He's a disaster waiting to happen
    Ugh, Dida sucks. He is horrible. I'd prefer the admitted fascist Abbiati to him.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    Ugh, Dida sucks. He is horrible. I'd prefer the admitted fascist Abbiati to him.
    Speaking of fascism, I read an ugly article this weekend on the black Italian striker who plays for Inter (forgot his name), who’s getting insulted on every field. Some of the sh*t he gets is outrageously insulting (“n------r, you’ll never be an Italian”).

During some away game, he got jeered as he left the field before the end of the game. He sarcastically gave a thumbs up sign to the crowd. The next day the clubs website was hacked with racist slogans. The club, instead of condemning it, said he brought it on himself by antagonizing the crowd.

Poor kid, I don’t know how he holds up.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Speaking of fascism, I read an ugly article this weekend on the black Italian striker who plays for Inter (forgot his name), whoís getting insulted on every field. Some of the sh*t he gets is outrageously insulting (ďn------r, youíll never be an ItalianĒ).

During some away game, he got jeered as he left the field before the end of the game. He sarcastically gave a thumbs up sign to the crowd. The next day the clubs website was hacked with racist slogans. The club, instead of condemning it, said he brought it on himself by antagonizing the crowd.

Poor kid, I donít know how he holds up.
    It's amazing that racism is so prevalent and even almost accepted in a country like Italy. I guess some part of Europe still hasn't gotten over it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's amazing that racism is so prevalent and even almost accepted in a country like Italy. I guess some part of Europe still hasn't gotten over it.
    Italy, Spain, France…it’s really quite amazing.

In the 80’s here there was a pretty good black goalkeeper Joseph Antoine Bell. He played for Bordeaux then switched to Marseille (or the other way around), the ultimate no-no. I remember one game, playing in front of what was once his home crowd and getting pelted with bananas.

Here, it's not as bad as it used to be IMO. 95% of the national team is black, and I guess winning a few titles helped people cope with it Only the far right says anything about it. Still, every now and then a player will get targeted and have an awful time with a crowd (sometimes even get insulted by his own fans).

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Italy, Spain, FranceÖitís really quite amazing.

In the 80ís here there was a pretty good black goalkeeper Joseph Antoine Bell. He played for Bordeaux then switched to Marseille (or the other way around), the ultimate no-no. I remember one game, playing in front of what was once his home crowd and getting pelted with bananas.

Here, it's not as bad as it used to be IMO. 95% of the national team is black, and I guess winning a few titles helped people cope with it Only the far right says anything about it. Still, every now and then a player will get targeted and have an awful time with a crowd (sometimes even get insulted by his own fans).
    That's interesting, because one of the most recognizable French stars in the world (Henry) is black.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's interesting, because one of the most recognizable French stars in the world (Henry) is black.
    As long as you're good...

There's a French "joke" which says a lot. Whenever Yannick Noah won a title or match he was French. Whenever he lost he was from Cameroun.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

There's a French "joke" which says a lot. Whenever Yannick Noah won a title or match he was French. Whenever he lost he was from Cameroun.
    Check your PM

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

What do French people think about this guy?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL

We think he's a good basketball player and a pothead like his father.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well they need to get over it. Balotelli is young and he is good. It is not his fault that he was born in Italy of Guyanese decent. Cut the kid some slack. Him being young and brash may cause some of the conflict. There was talk of him going to Spain.

Look at the kid from New Jersey, Giuseppe Rossi, they cut him some slack. Yeah, he is Italian but he is really an American. My understanding was that the Italians do not really like Italian-Americans all that much and that kid is playing for the National Team. Italy needs to get into the 21st century already.

Most of the players on Inter are not even Italian, some maybe Italian in name, but born in other countries.

I really do not like Inter, I root for any team playing Inter. That team is just so good. If I had to take a side I like AC Milan and Roma.

I recently got into soccer (football), It will tie me over until the start of the American football season. Due to the World Cup this year. Baseball just does not do it for me anymore.

The game is a lot better in Europe then it is played here. The Barclays Premier League is very rough and I like the way the refs let them play on, unless somebody is really blasted.

I think the best team in Europe is Barcelona, they are a joy to watch.

Well hope to be part of future conversations with you guys.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

how does the general population of france view henry and benzema who i believe is muslim? and how is rossi allowed to play for the italian national team?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jagr68 View Post
    how does the general population of france view henry and benzema who i believe is muslim? and how is rossi allowed to play for the italian national team?
    Henry and Benzema aren’t the ones who would get hassled. They are stars. Life is different for a random dude playing for a bottom tier club. I don’t want to make this sound like it happens everyday, because it doesn’t. But still..

EDIT : Let’s be clear, the problem isn’t the ‘general public’. I don’t think we’re more or less racist than any other society (just take a look at some threads here when a black athlete gets killed, or gets arrested). The thing is football stadiums attract people who are lost. Guys with dead ends jobs, nothing to lose, find a brotherhood in an Ultras fan groups, and end up hooligans. JMO
    Last edited by RaoulDuke; 01-29-2010 at 05:06 AM.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    The thing is football stadiums attract people who are lost. Guys with dead ends jobs, nothing to lose, find a brotherhood in an Ultras fan groups, and end up hooligans. JMO
    That's a pretty interesting point. European soccer hooligans are like street gangs.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Henry and Benzema arenít the ones who would get hassled. They are stars. Life is different for a random dude playing for a bottom tier club. I donít want to make this sound like it happens everyday, because it doesnít. But still..

EDIT : Letís be clear, the problem isnít the Ďgeneral publicí. I donít think weíre more or less racist than any other society (just take a look at some threads here when a black athlete gets killed, or gets arrested). The thing is football stadiums attract people who are lost. Guys with dead ends jobs, nothing to lose, find a brotherhood in an Ultras fan groups, and end up hooligans. JMO
    So how far off is that movie Green Street hooligans. Is that what goes on there on a regular basis. Pretty crazy stuff if so.