Thread: Prospect Watch: Kareem Jackson (CB, Alabama)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Prospect Watch: Kareem Jackson (CB, Alabama)

Now we haven't heard much about him in recent weeks as it is the case with most juniors declaring for the draft. But when we look at Jackson, I think he absolutely fits our need for a second cornerback and he should do very well in our scheme. Javier Arenas got most of the publicity for the Bama secondary but Jackson has been the better player all year long and he is a much better pro prospect too in my eyes.

Jackson has experience under a pro coach and in a 3-4, played a lot of man to man and bump and run in college and he is extremely physical. He is propably one of the most physical corners in the draft and very strong in run support. Now I wasn't impressed early in his career with his coverage skills but he has really developed over the course of his career. This year he truly shut down his opponents and blanketed receivers all over the field. At times he can get a little too aggressive and he might have problems early on avoiding penalties. He isn't much of a ballhawk but has shown the ability to read the QB well in zone coverage and break on the ball quickly.

Now there are a bunch of other things that you really have to love about him as a prospect. As already mentioned, he has shown constant development over his career which tells us he not only has tremendous upside but also that he is very coachable. He has been a starter for the Crimson Tide through his entire three year career and faced as good a competition as you can face in college football. Under Saban, Jackson has been part of a professional, winning atmosphere which should clearly help him going forward.

Now where is Jackson going in the draft? Late first might be a stretch but is definitely possible if he breaks out at the Combine. Does anybody think he could be there for us at the end of the second round?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    he's a very interesting prospect... first off I believe arenas is a better zone corner, more aware, smarter, better nickel corner and a great ball hawk. Arenas could make his money on returns and nickel and be fine.

Jackson on the other hand is taller, faster, stronger and better in bump and run situations. And he hits like a truck... like Justin Miller used to hit before he got all banged up.

on the con side he's very raw, prone to penalties (also like Miller) and has trouble finding the ball when it's in the air sometimes. He's a bit of a project, needs to learn how to cover... some guys never learn that...

Arenas is the safer bet, Jackson is the boom bust guy... the 40 time could def get him in the late first range and it probably wouldn't be a reach.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    IMO there are approximately 10 quality CB's and Jackson is in that group. Haden is the only lock for the first round.
    An Excellent strategy for the Jets is to trade down from 29 into the second round and take TWO Cornerbacks in the second round. Lito, and Stricklands inability to stay on the field create two immediate openings. I think you create a very healthy competition between Jackson and possible Ghee, Cox, Wilson or Franks.
    Last edited by JetOrange; 02-02-2010 at 07:40 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    he's a very interesting prospect... first off I believe arenas is a better zone corner, more aware, smarter, better nickel corner and a great ball hawk. Arenas could make his money on returns and nickel and be fine.

Jackson on the other hand is taller, faster, stronger and better in bump and run situations. And he hits like a truck... like Justin Miller used to hit before he got all banged up.

on the con side he's very raw, prone to penalties (also like Miller) and has trouble finding the ball when it's in the air sometimes. He's a bit of a project, needs to learn how to cover... some guys never learn that...

Arenas is the safer bet, Jackson is the boom bust guy... the 40 time could def get him in the late first range and it probably wouldn't be a reach.
    Very good assessment and basically how I feel about him. I never liked him in his first two years but he really developed last season. It shows that he clearly has some serious upside and while being raw is definitely a good cover corner. Rex would love his physicality. We'll see...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jackson's perfect for that team...great press corner. He got beat occasionally when he whiffed on the jam but overall, he's very physical and a good player with his back to the ball.

We would be lucky to get him at the end of 2.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    was just told something that's interesting as all hell....

guess who's coaching Jackson on DB specific drills for the combine.....Donnie Henderson....

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    from the over 20 different sites I've seen Jackson ranked he averages around the 40th to 50th pick range. Maybe the Jets can trade down 15 to 20 spots for him and pick up a 3rd rounder with it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetOrange View Post
    IMO there are approximately 10 quality CB's and Jackson is in that group. Haden is the only lock for the first round.
    An Excellent strategy for the Jets is to trade down from 29 into the second round and take TWO Cornerbacks in the second round. Lito, and Stricklands inability to stay on the field create two immediate openings. I think you create a very healthy competition between Jackson and possible Ghee, Cox, Wilson or Franks.
    I believe there's a 50/50 chance the jets trade back into the 2nd round. I think they take a DE in round 1 if they think the value is there, but since all these cbs seem to be similar in value, i can see the jets using this draft to build up depth.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    was just told something that's interesting as all hell....

guess who's coaching Jackson on DB specific drills for the combine.....Donnie Henderson....
    How so? Donnie was a pretty good DB coach, no?

Where is Donnie now?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetOrange View Post
    Honestly this is it. perfection. Maybe 1cb in the 2nd(+other player DE/OLB) 1 cb in the 3rd or 4th depending on who falls and terms of the trade but 2cbs in the 2nd would be $$$!!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    So Jackson appears to be gaining momentum with a few weeks left before the draft. Mike Mayock recently has elevated him past McCourty on his positional rankings putting him as his 3rd best CB in this draft. Also views Linval Joseph as a 3-4 DE and won't get out of the 2nd round. Any takers on either of these guys at these slots?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    With McCourty's special teams skill set, I dont see how Jackson could be our choice, especially since we let Wallace Wright leave and have somewhat of a ? at KR/PR with leon.

I think after Pouncey, McCourty is the guy id love to see us get....immediate nickel CB, provides depth in case starting CBs get injured, and can return punts, kicks and be a great gunner on KO/Punt team....