Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gun Aficionados

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3488782]Yeah. Besides, that's what THIS is for:

[IMG]http://www.woosk.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/shark-knife.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]
    That there contraption reminds of the movie "seven"

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Equilibrium;3488774]Carrying it overseas and at home, I recommend the old .45.

Although new, lighter, composite material weapons are popular new in the "tacti-cool"- "you can never have too many flashlights/ targetsights/ rangefinders" attachment age, the .45 carries enough weight to give the user confidence and the reliability of almost a century of battlefield experience.

I stick with the classics. Thankfully, I have never had to use it in anger, but the feeling of stability, reliability and double safety features always gives me confidence when I have to carry it and is easy to clean, unlike the M9 Beretta that replaced it.

I have also fired the HK SOCOM .45 sidearm, but I think that weapon demands considerable skill from the shooter and is fabricated to such exact quality that the slightest wear affects its reliability. Not to mention it is a very expensive firearm on the civilian market.[/QUOTE]

I agree with everything you say here except the bit about the Beretta. I carry one, and I find it to be well-balanced with a good heft. It's also pretty easy to break down and clean. Believe me, I intend to get a .45 at some point (likely a Kimber model), but I wouldn't give up my Beretta, not a chance.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is hysterical! :zzz:

[QUOTE=acepepe;3489409]I'm reporting you to Fearless leader for advocating weapons in the hand of the masses.[/QUOTE]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;3489507]That is hysterical! :zzz:[/QUOTE]

Thought you would get a kick out of it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glock is a reliable and simple gun, for a novice it is a great gun and won't kill your wallet.

[QUOTE=Jetworks;3489503]I agree with everything you say here except the bit about the Beretta. I carry one, and I find it to be well-balanced with a good heft. It's also pretty easy to break down and clean. Believe me, I intend to get a .45 at some point (likely a Kimber model), but I wouldn't give up my Beretta, not a chance.[/QUOTE]

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;3489530]Glock is a reliable and simple gun, for a novice it is a great gun and won't kill your wallet.[/QUOTE]

I carry a glock 27 off duty. Definitely will not kill your wallet. Not my first choice for a backup though. Only reason I got it is because it's so cheap, had it for 5 years so far, uncomfortable at times but I deal with it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Me too, can't complain about it, the sub-compact .45 is pretty nice too.

[QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;3489629]I carry a glock 27 off duty. Definitely will not kill your wallet. Not my first choice for a backup though. Only reason I got it is because it's so cheap, had it for 5 years so far, uncomfortable at times but I deal with it.[/QUOTE]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetworks;3489503]I agree with everything you say here except the bit about the Beretta. I carry one, and I find it to be well-balanced with a good heft. It's also pretty easy to break down and clean. Believe me, I intend to get a .45 at some point (likely a Kimber model), but I wouldn't give up my Beretta, not a chance.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps I was a bit harsh on the Beretta. It a good weapon for its purpose as a the standard general purpose sidearm and carries more rounds and penetrates more effectively than the .45.

I just tend to favor stopping power over firepower. With a .45, even if the target is wearing body armor, there is a good chance he or she will at least be knocked down.

I also had an experience with a recoil malfunction where the slide misaligned from the frame and was subsequently told that it was a not too infrequent occurrence.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;3489629]I carry a glock 27 off duty. Definitely will not kill your wallet. Not my first choice for a backup though. Only reason I got it is because it's so cheap, had it for 5 years so far, uncomfortable at times but I deal with it.[/QUOTE]

I'm not a huge fan of the Glock, it kicks too much because it is so light.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can't have a limp wrist. Sorry had to say it. :D

It is a very accurate pistol.

[QUOTE=Illinois Jets Fan;3490604]I'm not a huge fan of the Glock, it kicks too much because it is so light.[/QUOTE]

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Illinois Jets Fan;3490604]I'm not a huge fan of the Glock, it kicks too much because it is so light.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. That's why I said it wasn't my first choice, but it was cheap. You pay for what you get.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;3490619]Can't have a limp wrist. Sorry had to say it. :D

It is a very accurate pistol.[/QUOTE]

You bastard :D I generally do better with heavy barreled revolvers. Not that I can't hit with the Glock, but I can drive tacks with my .22.

[QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;3490906]Absolutely. That's why I said it wasn't my first choice, but it was cheap. You pay for what you get.[/QUOTE]

What, in your opinion, is the best handgun that can be bought new for under $700?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [IMG]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_NqlFep8HnRU/SoH1RyRypCI/AAAAAAAABUA/TTEqYje64rc/s320/Forty%20Five%20Poster.jpg[/IMG]

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I suggest 9mm Beretta. Alot of people hate on it and it's the only handgun I've ever fired (M-16 and SAW are "weapons", M-60 and I assume 240B are guns but not handguns) but it's accurate, easy to use easy to maintain and looks cool.

[img]http://www.johnforsey.co.uk/Images/Air_rifle_world/beretta_92fs.gif[/img]

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Illinois Jets Fan;3491038]What, in your opinion, is the best handgun that can be bought new for under $700?[/QUOTE]

You can definitely get a 1911 for under $700. I love it. Once you start customizing it more and more you'll treat it like a Rolex.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;3491486]You can definitely get a 1911 for under $700. I love it. Once you start customizing it more and more you'll treat it like a Rolex.[/QUOTE]

Springfield?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Illinois Jets Fan;3492265]Springfield?[/QUOTE]

Hey, I'm new here but I'd like to add to this.

I have a Springfield 1911 .45 and it is great. It was about $900 with the night sights but hand down my favorite .45 cal.
    Springfield also makes the XD M and the reviews are great. I fired a few different versions and the 9mm is probably my favorite because of the capacity (20 rnds with one in the tube).

Mike

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Greaser;3492270]Hey, I'm new here but I'd like to add to this.

I have a Springfield 1911 .45 and it is great. It was about $900 with the night sights but hand down my favorite .45 cal.
    Springfield also makes the XD M and the reviews are great. I fired a few different versions and the 9mm is probably my favorite because of the capacity (20 rnds with one in the tube).

Mike[/QUOTE]

That's great, thanks for sharing. It'll probably be awhile before I can spend $900 on a gun, but this info is useful for when I'm raking in the $$$.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 10 inch cock.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2;3493144]I have a 10 inch cock.[/QUOTE]

When was the last time you saw it?