Thread: Nets to play at Prudential Center next two seasons

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Nets to play at Prudential Center next two seasons

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...ng_newark.html

New Jersey Nets nearing move to Newark, will play in Prudential Center until move to Brooklyn

BY JULIAN GARCIA AND MITCH LAWRENCE
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITERS

Tuesday, February 2nd 2010, 4:00 AM

The Nets will have the cash and the assets to rebuild their team. Now all they need is a new place to play, and it appears they are close to getting it.

While they are still on schedule to move to Brooklyn at some point in 2012, the Nets likely will be playing in Newark the next two seasons after reaching a preliminary lease agreement with the Devils to play their home games at the Prudential Center, according to a source familiar with the team's situation.

According to the source, the Nets and Devils reached a new agreement last week and are expected to sign it this week. It should reach Gov. Chris Christie's desk soon after and it is expected to be approved.

"It's going to happen," said a source familiar with the negotiations.

The Nets and Devils, former co-tenants in the Meadowlands until the Devils moved to Newark in 2007-08, had already reached a lease agreement that was approved but not signed by former governor Jon Corzine. But when Corzine was unseated by Christie in November, that deal fell through, leaving the teams to start from scratch.

Under terms of that previously agreed-upon deal, the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority would have waived a reported $7.5 million penalty that the Nets would have had to pay in order to break their lease at the Meadowlands. That penalty, which could be substantially lowered, according to one source, has apparently been a sticking point in the most recent negotiations.

A call to Christie's office was not returned Monday.

The Nets have been playing at the Meadowlands since it opened in 1981, but recently finalized plans to move to Brooklyn. Playing at the ultra-modern Rock may help the Nets sign free agents over the summer, when they will have upwards of $26 million to spend on contracts.

"Ultimately, we're going to be moving to Brooklyn, so that would just be a temporary thing to play in Newark," Nets guard Keyon Dooling said after practice yesterday. "But the building in Newark is very nice and it's more NBA-suitable (than the Meadowlands). This is more about the building itself. The facility is nicer in Newark."

The Nets are averaging 13,302 fans through 22 home games, and that number appears to be inflated. A pair of preseason games in Newark in October drew an average of 14,255.

"I think the arena in Newark will be good for us," said center Brook Lopez. "I can't say if it will mean we'll get better crowds. But it's a good-looking arena and it worked very well for an NBA game when we were down there in preseason. The atmosphere was very good."

Going into tonight's home game against the Pistons, the Nets (4-42) are not only on pace to break the all-time league record for fewest wins - nine, held by the 1972-73 Sixers - but they're also closing in on the franchise record for fewest home wins. The Nets were 10-31 at Nassau Coliseum in 1976-77 and 13-28 at the Meadowlands during the 1989-90 season. They are 3-19 at home this season.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's interesting.

I've been to the Rock a couple of times and it is obviously much nicer than Izod.

As far as attendance goes, it really can't get much worse than it is. Plus, there are a lot of chances for the Nets to get some good publicity by giving some tickets away to underprivileged kids in Newark.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good move for the Nets.

I think playing in that state of the art building will attract free agents that they'll certainly be in the market for in the off-season, which will in turn increase attendance. Should be a good couple years for the Nets while they transition into Brooklyn.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by msujetfan 89 View Post
    That's interesting.

I've been to the Rock a couple of times and it is obviously much nicer than Izod.

As far as attendance goes, it really can't get much worse than it is. Plus, there are a lot of chances for the Nets to get some good publicity by giving some tickets away to underprivileged kids in Newark.
    I've seen 4 Devils games since the Rock opened and have to say it is so much better than that depressing dump in the swamp that is next to impossible to get to without a car. Beautiful arena, great location and you're just a short path ride away from downtown Manhattan. Great move by the Nets finally getting out of the Izod Center even if it's not Brooklyn yet.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    I've seen 4 Devils games since the Rock opened and have to say it is so much better than that depressing dump in the swamp that is next to impossible to get to without a car. Beautiful arena, great location and you're just a short path ride away from downtown Manhattan. Great move by the Nets finally getting out of the Izod Center even if it's not Brooklyn yet.
    While the arena is much nicer, I actually prefer the drive to and from the Meadowlands, even though I live a town over from Newark.

While they are trying hard to clean up the area, I'm still a little hesitant to go there. But as long as the tickets remain affordable I'll check out a few games next season.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    they cant draw any worse than they are at IZOD..as a nets fan this was the best scenario for them until they get to brooklyn..

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The IZOD Center... now home to Sesame Street Live, and the Ringling Brother's Circus

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have no problem with them moving, but why let them off the hook for the money owed? They are trying to leave the state anyway so f-them. What will be left of the "swamp" is an awesome new football stadium, an unfinished mall, a useless ski slope, a race track that loses money, and now an arena that caters to kid’s events that no sport team will play in and most likely any concert for adults will either?????

All the while we the tax payers who were not suposto be on the "hook" for any money have to pay for rail, roads, etc for essentially 1 event (yes 2 teams) complex. I bet you we will be on the hook to redevelop the whole area!

Sooo dumb IMHO. Nets signed a contract, break it, and pay up!!!!! You’re leaving anyway leave some money at the door. Pay Newark some extra they sure could use it and will hopefully put it to good use.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    About f'n time. Meadowlands is terrible for hockey and basketball because the games are so often which makes the costs for the consumers ridiculous and the commuting there is a pain... it works with the Jets and Giants because its once a week and its football.