View Poll Results: Would you be in favor of Chad Pennington returning as a backup?

Voters
332. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

234 70.48%
  • No

98 29.52%
Page 1 of 74 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Chad is willing to return as a backup

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Chad is willing to return as a backup

And here .... we ... go

Chad Pennington willing to return to New York Jets to backup Mark Sanchez

BY Rich Cimini
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

FORT LAUDERDALE - Chad Pennington, he of the thrice-repaired throwing shoulder, isn't ready to call it a career. The popular former Jets quarterback intends to play in 2010, even as a backup, and he's willing to consider any offer.

Even from the Jets.

While acknowledging it "would be tough" to return to the team that fired him only 19 months ago, Pennington - an unrestricted free agent in four weeks - told the Daily News Thursday he would definitely listen if GM Mike Tannenbaum called.

"I'd be crazy not to be interested," the current Dolphin said at a youth-football clinic, one of many NFL-sponsored events during Super Bowl week. "Once you think you're too big where you can't entertain every opportunity, you'd better be careful because you'll be looking from the outside in."

Pennington, who was dumped in August 2008 to make room for Brett Favre, sounded like he prefers to stay in Miami as Chad Henne's backup. But the Dolphins have remained noncommittal, so Pennington is preparing to play the free-agent game.

But the Jets? Pennington, who admitted he still gets "a little upset" on occasion when he reflects on his breakup in New York, conceded that a return would require some pride-swallowing.

"Would it be tough? Sure it would be tough, emotionally, but it's always a possibility," he said. "I never rule anything out. Absolutely."

The Jets are committed to Mark Sanchez, but Tannenbaum, in his end-of-the-season news conference, didn't dismiss the possibility of acquiring an experienced backup.

Even though Kellen Clemens won his only start in 2009, filling in when Sanchez was injured, he was underwhelming and didn't win the confidence of the organization. He also has fallen behind Sanchez in terms of experience (nine career starts to Sanchez's 18), and the team would like a seasoned backup who can be a mentor to their still-maturing franchise quarterback.

Clemens will be a restricted free agent under the current CBA, and the Jets intend to tender him at the second-round level (his draft round). But that doesn't guarantee a roster spot.

Because Pennington still is under contract to the Dolphins, the Jets aren't allowed to comment on potential interest. But Tannenbaum always has held Pennington in the highest regard. When he traded for Favre, he did Pennington a favor by releasing him instead of making a trade, giving him a chance to pick his next team - a move that backfired on the Jets. Pennington led the Dolphins to the AFC East title in 2008.

The big question, as always, is Pennington's health. He suffered a season-ending shoulder injury in Week 3, requiring arthroscopic surgery for the second time. It also was scoped in 2005, which followed major surgery on his rotator cuff in 2004. He never had the strongest arm, and the cumulative effect of three operations raises serious questions.

This time there was no rotator cuff damage and Pennington, who admitted he considered retiring after the injury, is encouraged by his chances of a full recovery.

"I'm not totally where I want to be, but I can see the progress," said Pennington, who turns 34 in June.

Pennington has been throwing for about five weeks, and he's up to three days a week. His goal is to be 100% by the start of free agency, so he can audition for interested teams. One intriguing possibility is the Cardinals, who lost Kurt Warner to retirement and don't seem convinced that Matt Leinart can do the job.

No team is going to hand Pennington a starting spot, and he's okay with that.

"There's always flexibility and I think there's always a need for good quarterback play in this league," he said. "There's always a need for leadership and you don't necessarily have to lead from a starter's role."

But, again, the Jets? Pennington admitted he couldn't bring himself to root for the Jets in the AFC Championship Game.

"When you're a Dolphin," he said, "Dolphins and Jets don't go together."

ON THE LINE: The Jets have received permission to speak with Ravens assistant Mark Carrier for a position on the defensive staff, believed to be coaching the defensive line. Carrier, a former NFL safety, coaches the Baltimore secondary and worked alongside Rex Ryan with the Ravens. Jeff Weeks is the Jets' current defensive line coach after replacing Kerry Locklin, who was fired at midseason.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    And here .... we ... go

Chad Pennington willing to return to New York Jets to backup Mark Sanchez

BY Rich Cimini
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

FORT LAUDERDALE - Chad Pennington, he of the thrice-repaired throwing shoulder, isn't ready to call it a career. The popular former Jets quarterback intends to play in 2010, even as a backup, and he's willing to consider any offer.

Even from the Jets.

While acknowledging it "would be tough" to return to the team that fired him only 19 months ago, Pennington - an unrestricted free agent in four weeks - told the Daily News Thursday he would definitely listen if GM Mike Tannenbaum called.

"I'd be crazy not to be interested," the current Dolphin said at a youth-football clinic, one of many NFL-sponsored events during Super Bowl week. "Once you think you're too big where you can't entertain every opportunity, you'd better be careful because you'll be looking from the outside in."

Pennington, who was dumped in August 2008 to make room for Brett Favre, sounded like he prefers to stay in Miami as Chad Henne's backup. But the Dolphins have remained noncommittal, so Pennington is preparing to play the free-agent game.

But the Jets? Pennington, who admitted he still gets "a little upset" on occasion when he reflects on his breakup in New York, conceded that a return would require some pride-swallowing.

"Would it be tough? Sure it would be tough, emotionally, but it's always a possibility," he said. "I never rule anything out. Absolutely."

The Jets are committed to Mark Sanchez, but Tannenbaum, in his end-of-the-season news conference, didn't dismiss the possibility of acquiring an experienced backup.

Even though Kellen Clemens won his only start in 2009, filling in when Sanchez was injured, he was underwhelming and didn't win the confidence of the organization. He also has fallen behind Sanchez in terms of experience (nine career starts to Sanchez's 18), and the team would like a seasoned backup who can be a mentor to their still-maturing franchise quarterback.

Clemens will be a restricted free agent under the current CBA, and the Jets intend to tender him at the second-round level (his draft round). But that doesn't guarantee a roster spot.

Because Pennington still is under contract to the Dolphins, the Jets aren't allowed to comment on potential interest. But Tannenbaum always has held Pennington in the highest regard. When he traded for Favre, he did Pennington a favor by releasing him instead of making a trade, giving him a chance to pick his next team - a move that backfired on the Jets. Pennington led the Dolphins to the AFC East title in 2008.

The big question, as always, is Pennington's health. He suffered a season-ending shoulder injury in Week 3, requiring arthroscopic surgery for the second time. It also was scoped in 2005, which followed major surgery on his rotator cuff in 2004. He never had the strongest arm, and the cumulative effect of three operations raises serious questions.

This time there was no rotator cuff damage and Pennington, who admitted he considered retiring after the injury, is encouraged by his chances of a full recovery.

"I'm not totally where I want to be, but I can see the progress," said Pennington, who turns 34 in June.

Pennington has been throwing for about five weeks, and he's up to three days a week. His goal is to be 100% by the start of free agency, so he can audition for interested teams. One intriguing possibility is the Cardinals, who lost Kurt Warner to retirement and don't seem convinced that Matt Leinart can do the job.

No team is going to hand Pennington a starting spot, and he's okay with that.

"There's always flexibility and I think there's always a need for good quarterback play in this league," he said. "There's always a need for leadership and you don't necessarily have to lead from a starter's role."

But, again, the Jets? Pennington admitted he couldn't bring himself to root for the Jets in the AFC Championship Game.

ON THE LINE: The Jets have received permission to speak with Ravens assistant Mark Carrier for a position on the defensive staff, believed to be coaching the defensive line. Carrier, a former NFL safety, coaches the Baltimore secondary and worked alongside Rex Ryan with the Ravens. Jeff Weeks is the Jets' current defensive line coach after replacing Kerry Locklin, who was fired at midseason.
    enough said i say lets move on w/out noodle arm!!

Veteran
    North Shore of Long Island. East Setauket
    Post Thanks / Like
    hed be a great guy to coach up sanchez during the offseason and during the regular season...penny is one of the smartest qbs and people on the field in general i think it would be smart considering what veteran qbs are available...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

I was waivering until I got to the above...

Then I started thinking, what exactly does Chad have to be mad at the Jets about? They made him a rich man, and Tanny made it easy for him to go get his best deal when he was done here.

Thanks, but no thanks.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan10 View Post
    enough said i say lets move on w/out noodle arm!!
    would you have rooted for him if they made it and not us?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Always thought he would be good coach and mentor.....

If the opportunity presents itself, I say take it

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post

Then I started thinking, what exactly does Chad have to be mad at the Jets about? They made him a rich man, and Tanny made it easy for him to go get his best deal when he was done here.

Thanks, but no thanks.
    Personally when i read that he is not where he wants to be with his recovery that had me starting to think agiants it. I don't think he is mad, his colors right now are Dolphin colors - he has every right to root against the Jets, the same way a lot of fans would root against the Dolphins if it was reversed. I like Chad, if he was healthy 100% or close i would say bring him in for a tryout, but we need someone who can teach by example as well as in the classroom. If Chad can't do it on the practice field then he is no good to us or Sanchez.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    For the luvva God, NO!!!!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing against Chad, as he did tough it out playing through a lot of pain an injuries, but I think he should have to show that he has at least something left in his arm (and he didn't have much before the injury). Let's say Sanchez does get hurt and they put Chad in, maybe for a few games. Our offense all of a sudden becomes extremely limited (i.e. no remote possibility of going down the field). He did look good with the phins last year before he went down but post injury, who knows.

B.t.w.: Where's Jeff Garcia these days?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chad will be back in 2010. It is his destiny.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who do you trust more for a 3 game stretch if Sanchez were to miss a few games, Chad Pennington or Kellen Clemens?

That, right there, is why signing him would be an upgrade at backup QB. Not to mention his ability to mentor our franchise quarterback while he matures.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Chad will be back in 2010. It is his destiny.
    So our young QB, who played some of his best football at the most important part of the season (ie the playoffs), will be mentored by a guy who always played his worst football at the most important part of the season (ie the playoffs, again).

Great

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    NEVER
    YOU
    LIMP
    ARMED
    F*CK!

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post

Thanks, but no thanks.
    "Waivering"? Tell me, what can Noodles possibly do to help the 2010 Jets?

Be a good backup? Nope.

Be a good mentor? Nope.

Teach Sanchez how to choke in big games? Yup.

Influence players that Ryan should be playing not-to-lose? Yup.

No thanks.

SAR I

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    NEVER
    YOU
    LIMP
    ARMED
    F*CK!

SAR I
    + 100000000000000000000000000000

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    NEVER
    YOU
    LIMP
    ARMED
    F*CK!

SAR I
    Winner!!!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd love to see it.

You'd have the 31st ranked passing attack, led by one of the worst statistical QB's in the NFL, backed up by a guy who can't throw more than 3 yards.

I'm sure that offense will keep DC's up all night.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    "Waivering"? Tell me, what can Noodles possibly do to help the 2010 Jets?

Be a good backup? Nope.

Be a good mentor? Nope.

Teach Sanchez how to choke in big games? Yup.

Influence players that Ryan should be playing not-to-lose? Yup.

No thanks.

SAR I
    I think Chad is a very good and honorable man, but you know what Sanchez always says and does the right thing already so he doesn't need help in that regard. ACtually I would hate to see Chad teach Sanchez to become overly conservative, as I always felt Chad was led down that road by Hacker, the worst OC in the history of the NYJ...so I vote no

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJet85 View Post
    hed be a great guy to coach up sanchez during the offseason and during the regular season...penny is one of the smartest qbs and people on the field in general i think it would be smart considering what veteran qbs are available...
    What exactly could Chad "coach up" Sanchez about?

Sanchez is a veteran now. He's won as many playoff games in 1 season as Chad won in 8 seasons as a starter. He also played in the AFC title game, something Chad never did.

Sanchez can make every throw. Chad can't.

Sanchez is mobile and can throw on the run. Chad can't.

Sanchez has gone through long losing streaks and long winning streaks. He's played through injuries. He's played in do-or-die regular season games. He played on the road in the playoffs and played well in all. Heck, short of the SB, Sanchez experienced everything you'd want him to experience.

What could Chad coach him up on? The checkdown???

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Please shoot me.