Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: Jimmy Graham (MIA) TE; 6'8, 260 lbs

  1. #1
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    the 80s
    Posts
    7,787
    Post Thanks / Like

    Jimmy Graham (MIA) TE; 6'8, 260 lbs

    Well it's about that time of the year again, time for me to get into it with half the board about why a TE is the answer for this team

    Anyone watch this guy play this past year? I didn't get a chance to see the U play at all. A little A. Gates in this guy here, very intrigued to hear other ppl's views who actually watched his play and speed in game, not just from a measurables perspective.


    Official Bio

    Strengths:
    Fantastic athlete --- Outstanding size with a large, rangy frame --- A terrific leaper --- Fast, quick and agile --- Soft hands --- Great ball skills and body control --- Able to do some damage after the catch --- Very aggressive --- Excellent effort as a blocker --- Still has a ton of upside.

    Weaknesses:
    Extremely raw --- Inconsistent and dropped some balls --- Needs to get stronger --- Long ways to go when it comes to technique --- Unrefined as a route runner --- Isn't a dominating blocker --- Average production.

    Notes:
    Just one season of college football experience --- Was a member of the Hurricanes basketball team from 2005 - 2008, averaging 4.2 points, 4.2 rebounds and 0.9 blocks --- Turned down an opportunity to play professionally overseas after his hardwood eligibility was exhausted to give football a try --- Ranked second on the team in touchdown catches in 2009 despite not playing the game since his freshman year of high school --- Has all of the physical tools you look for --- Rare talent who will be drafted based almost solely on potential but has the ability to be a superb all-around tight end at the next level --- Probably won't be "The Next Antonio Gates" but may be the closest thing we've seen yet.
    some more

    Draft Scout Jimmy Graham News
    01/28/10 - SENIOR BOWL RISER: TE Jimmy Graham, Miami: The Hurricanes' established history of churning out tight ends is in good hands with Graham, the ex-basketball player who only returned to the gridiron for his senior season. Graham won't wow you with his pop as a blocker, but he's remarkably smooth running routes and adjusting to poorly thrown passes for a man of his size (6-6, 260) and experience (one year with the Hurricanes). - Rob Rang, The Sports Xchange, NFLDraftScout.com

    01/27/10 - Senior Bowl, Tuesday: Miami tight end Jimmy Graham had a phenomenal practice Tuesday, looking extremely fluid as a runner and catching everything in sight. The former Hurricane basketball player left safeties and linebackers without a clue on where or when his cut would come; the out routes and square-ins were equally crisp and strong. That sort of route-running ability for a one-year contributor, and at 6-7, 258 pounds, is rare. Watch for his name to climb up boards all the way to the draft. - Rob Rang and Chad Reuter, The Sports Xchange, NFLDraftScout.com

    He's officially on my radar.. 6'8, former basketball player turned TE... i can name a couple other beasts with this kind of profile

  2. #2
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,280
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's like Leonard Pope.

  3. #3
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    the 80s
    Posts
    7,787
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    He's like Leonard Pope.
    really, can you actually make that assessment about this guy based on 1 season of play? thats difficult to accept

  4. #4
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,280
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    really, can you actually make that assessment about this guy based on 1 season of play? thats difficult to accept
    No, just a guess. It's not like Pope's story as a player is written yet. Similar size, similar frames, similar skillsets as prospects...Graham is probably the better athlete, I guess.

    He's got a nice amount of upside, and is one of the Kevin Boss candidates in this draft. There's quite a few of those candidates...

  5. #5
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    the 80s
    Posts
    7,787
    Post Thanks / Like
    mmhmm. I agree there's a lot of parity between a number of the prospects. Similar profiles, and potential, but this Graham kid seems to quite more intriguing. I mean c'mon, 6'8?? two 260 with good mobility. Considering he just picked up football last season, he's progressed along impressively.

    His pedigree is very interesting to say the least.

  6. #6
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    7,078
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Graham has a lot to learn, especially when it comes to blocking, but he has the potential to be one of the best TEs in the game.

    His athletic ability is off the charts -- Tony Gonzalez potential. In terms of measurables, it's easy to like this guy (6'7" 260 with gigantic hands and 4.6 speed). I have no idea if he'll ever become as great as he could be, but he's certainly worth the risk of a 5th round pick IMO.

    He isn't full grown at 260 either, he's got plenty of room for growth and will absolutely add strength and bulk once in an NFL training program. I see his playing weight around 270-275 with about the same speed.
    Last edited by TheMikeIsHot; 02-05-2010 at 10:24 PM.

  7. #7
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    the 80s
    Posts
    7,787
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^^ tell me about it, when you have that much raw athletic potential, i c'mon..

    ps, whatever happened to that physical freak a couple years ago that Fisher took a chance on. I think he was white, 7'0 tall or something. they wanted to conver him to a guard., can't remember

  8. #8
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    38,782
    Post Thanks / Like
    FYI he was 6'6" at senior bowl weigh ins... not 6'8" - but in incredible shape... he reminded of a skinnier Antonio Gates... incredibly raw but a real talent... the JEts won't draft him cause he can't really block and will be gone by end of round 2. the type of player Ozzie newsome drafts and turns into an all-pro. premium athlete. if the JEts get a tight end it will be a cheap blocker not a 2nd round pick... JMO.

  9. #9
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,028
    Post Thanks / Like
    he improved as the season went on.He is an instant red zone target fron day one,obviously needs a lot of work but a ton of potential is there

  10. #10
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    the 80s
    Posts
    7,787
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    FYI he was 6'6" at senior bowl weigh ins... not 6'8" - but in incredible shape... he reminded of a skinnier Antonio Gates... incredibly raw but a real talent... the JEts won't draft him cause he can't really block and will be gone by end of round 2. the type of player Ozzie newsome drafts and turns into an all-pro. premium athlete. if the JEts get a tight end it will be a cheap blocker not a 2nd round pick... JMO.
    You really think end of round 2? I'm having a hard time even seeing Gresham going in the first. I mean he probably has the talent to go that early, but so many teams want players that are safer that early, his injury drops him to early second rnd at KC in my books.

    Then you got Gronkowski, Hernandez and the other Graham who had a good senior bowl, all of whom will and should go before Jimmy. I just can't see him going before late in the 3rd, but more likely in the 4th as Shawn Nelson did last year.

    After the top 2 or 3 TEs go off the board, they usually sit till 4-5th rounds as teams scramble to scoup up the last of WRs, and D & O line players that project to have a reasonable chance of developing.

    Now as for the Jets taking him? Well you're right, a blocking TE is more likely, but Harstock and company and our use of an eligible lineman worked out quite well. At 260 and still lots of room to grow (i imagine he can get up to 270 training in the NFL) i don't see a reason not to take a chance on him as Keller gets split at slot a number of times. could make a for a lethal redzone target.
    Last edited by Paradis; 02-06-2010 at 03:08 PM.

  11. #11
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    38,782
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    You really think end of round 2? I'm having a hard time even seeing Gresham going in the first. I mean he probably has the talent to go that early, but so many teams want players that are safer that early, his injury drops him to early second rnd at KC in my books.

    Then you got Gronkowski, Hernandez and the other Graham who had a good senior bowl, all of whom will and should go before Jimmy. I just can't see him going before late in the 3rd, but more likely in the 4th as Shawn Nelson did last year.

    After the top 2 or 3 TEs go off the board, they usually sit till 4-5th rounds as teams scramble to scoup up the last of WRs, and D & O line players that project to have a reasonable chance of developing.

    Now as for the Jets taking him? Well you're right, a blocking TE is more likely, but Harstock and company and our use of an eligible lineman worked out quite well. At 260 and still lots of room to grow (i imagine he can get up to 270 training in the NFL) i don't see a reason not to take a chance on him as Keller gets split at slot a number of times. could make a for a lethal redzone target.
    if we look at the rankings as they are then yes he goes later than round 2... im saying the draft is about upside and Graham has more upside than any other at that position... so he might very easily go before half those names. no matter what Jimmy Graham weighs in at, his strength will not be as a blocker.

  12. #12
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    the 80s
    Posts
    7,787
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^ true, too raw to jump ahead of gresham, but ya i see the case you're making for 2nd rnd j. cook type pick

  13. #13
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    the 80s
    Posts
    7,787
    Post Thanks / Like
    bump.

    Loved what i saw from him today. 6'6 and half or so, but clearly looked like someone who's got a lot to bring to the game down the road.

    Jimmy Graham helping himself (Rotoworld)
    Former NFL scout Daniel Jeremiah believes that Miami (FL) TE Jimmy Graham has helped himself more than any player at the Combine so far. Analysis: Jeremiah says Graham is "creating a lot of buzz" after running an official 4.56 forty at 6'6/260. Graham, a converted basketball player, also has monstrous hands at 10 5/8," and 35-inch arms. He's shaping up as a mid-round pick.
    Also liked what i saw from Tony Moeaki, TE out of Iowa. Looked really polished and smooth

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    9,157
    Post Thanks / Like
    Would make a great red zone target. He could be lethal on the fade routes with that height and athleticism. I still would be suprised if the Jets drafted him. We already have a pass catching TE who can't block.

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    5,584
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's obvious that we need a blocking TE. Bringing in an extra O-Lineman caused way too many false start issues and completely tipped our hand as to where the ball was going.

  16. #16
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    the 80s
    Posts
    7,787
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ya, as much as i like Jimmy Graham, I don't see us taking him. He'll be 3rd-4th rnd guy (which obviously we have no picks in) and after we address defense, it'll depth guys at WR and RB that i think we take late.

  17. #17
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    64
    Post Thanks / Like
    I went to UM and saw Graham play basketball and football first-hand. He is a good athlete, but he is way too raw to make a roster (Kareem Brown ring a bell??) He's a great athlete, but his football knowledge isn't there and I saw him drop A LOT of balls. He is not used to catching the ball AND getting hit. I'd pass on him as we already have an athletic tight end who lacks top-end blocking ability.

  18. #18
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,280
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Ya, as much as i like Jimmy Graham, I don't see us taking him. He'll be 3rd-4th rnd guy (which obviously we have no picks in) and after we address defense, it'll depth guys at WR and RB that i think we take late.
    We can grab a decent TE late anyway...and there's the chance that Graham as a TE falls...Colin Peek has become the biggest TE sleeper though.

  19. #19
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    the 80s
    Posts
    7,787
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    We can grab a decent TE late anyway...and there's the chance that Graham as a TE falls...Colin Peek has become the biggest TE sleeper though.
    Did you see tony Maeoki? he looked legit

  20. #20
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,280
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Did you see tony Maeoki? he looked legit
    Him too, but I'm a Peek fan.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us