Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats Up With the Brewz! Official Homebrewing Thread

Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    I don't know if it's the beer or Moroccan food I was eating on vacation last week, but sumthin's fishy with the bowel movements..
    Probably the beer. It took my body a little bit to get used to homebrew...now I just get the homebrew farts.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by sourceworx View Post
    JStokes, I just joined Hopville myself. Great site and I love the beer calculator.
    That is a great site--love the calculator.

Pics from bottling our Dooshnozzle Bock last week. We didn't rack it twice so it was VERY murky, but as came through the tube it looked pretty clear so we hope when it's in the bottle it will be fine. Tasted great and the gravity was spot on. Next time we will definitely re-rack.

Bottled the Arriva deci Ale this weekend--it's a bitter--and that tasted pretty good as well but the gravity was a tad low.

^ Very cool. Nice job, Stokes. Like the countertops, too.

Jets Insider VIP
    What does re-rack mean?

Cool pics Stokes.

I take it this the correct way to fill the bottle..

Veteran
    North Shore of Long Island. East Setauket
    its really great fun but you have to be really into it because it does take a lot of time and effort but it really is worth it my next is an ipa my first was a blonde ale which came out great

Veteran
    North Shore of Long Island. East Setauket
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    That is a great site--love the calculator.

Pics from bottling our Dooshnozzle Bock last week. We didn't rack it twice so it was VERY murky, but as came through the tube it looked pretty clear so we hope when it's in the bottle it will be fine. Tasted great and the gravity was spot on. Next time we will definitely re-rack.

Bottled the Arriva deci Ale this weekend--it's a bitter--and that tasted pretty good as well but the gravity was a tad low.

what i have ben reading is that you shouldnt brew the beer in larger than 22 oz containers..thats just what i have read but if it comes out good let me know

Hall Of Fame
    What does re-rack mean?

Cool pics Stokes.

I take it this the correct way to fill the bottle..
    [/IMG]
    Re-rack means changing it from one holding container to another holding container to leave some of the sludge at the bottom. Say 2-3 weeks after you brew--but before you bottle, you transfer it from one car-boy (or bucket) to another car-boy and leave all the sludge at the bottom, then the beer in the new car-boy has a chance to settle some more before you bottle and you get a clearer beer.

Yes, that is one of the "spring-loaded" bottle fillers--you really should pick one up--they are pretty cheap.

Ingenious--you stick the filler into the bottle and when the spring tip hits the bottom of the bottle, the beer flows. Pull the filler out a bit so that the tip is no longer in contact with the bottom of the bottle and the beer stops, but the siphon is still intact so you just pull it out of the bottle and put it in the next bottle. Pretty cool, really.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJet85 View Post
    what i have ben reading is that you shouldnt brew the beer in larger than 22 oz containers..thats just what i have read but if it comes out good let me know
    Those bigger containers are called Growlers. 1/2 gallon. They are made specifically for brewing, storing and transporting beer. They come out perfect and are great if you feel like drinking--well, a half gallon of beer

http://beeradvocate.com/articles/384

Jets Insider VIP
    Re-rack means changing it from one holding container to another holding container to leave some of the sludge at the bottom. Say 2-3 weeks after you brew--but before you bottle, you transfer it from one car-boy (or bucket) to another car-boy and leave all the sludge at the bottom, then the beer in the new car-boy has a chance to settle some more before you bottle and you get a clearer beer.

Yes, that is one of the "spring-loaded" bottle fillers--you really should pick one up--they are pretty cheap.

Ingenious--you stick the filler into the bottle and when the spring tip hits the bottom of the bottle, the beer flows. Pull the filler out a bit so that the tip is no longer in contact with the bottom of the bottle and the beer stops, but the siphon is still intact so you just pull it out of the bottle and put it in the next bottle. Pretty cool, really.
    Got it. That's what I do before the whole tipping-bucket transfer process

Jets Insider VIP
    My beer actually turned out great.

Everyone's had a go at it and loved it. Only downside is the low ABV. The IPA I'm gonna do next should end up over 5% and be more fun to drink.

My beer actually turned out great.

Everyone's had a go at it and loved it. Only downside is the low ABV. The IPA I'm gonna do next should end up over 5% and be more fun to drink.
    Excellent!

I brewed yesterday, and had the opposite problem...I was looking for a lower ABV, and I'm going to end up with much higher than I wanted. I was looking for a OG of 1.046, and ended at 1.054. Second batch in a row where I overshot the OG. One more and I'm going to have to adjust my brewhouse effiiency when getting recipes together.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeJet View Post
    Excellent!

I brewed yesterday, and had the opposite problem...I was looking for a lower ABV, and I'm going to end up with much higher than I wanted. I was looking for a OG of 1.046, and ended at 1.054. Second batch in a row where I overshot the OG. One more and I'm going to have to adjust my brewhouse effiiency when getting recipes together.
    Thanks for the help man (Source and JStokes too). Everyone was very surprised, had a pint, said they loved it.... then switched to beer with alcohol in it.

I'll show them.

Stokes, I couldn't hep but notice that transfer into the bottle bucket going down the side of the pail...were you just checking something, or did the whole brew get transferred that way?

Jets Insider VIP
    Stokes, I couldn't hep but notice that transfer into the bottle bucket going down the side of the pail...were you just checking something, or did the whole brew get transferred that way?
    I actually noticed that too (after being reprimanded for airating the beer too much). I have the tube coil down at the bottom and let it swirl with the priming solution.

Hall Of Fame
    No, pulled that out for the picture.

No, pulled that out for the picture.

Jets Insider VIP
    Bottling should be a breeze now with this bad boy.

Planning on brewing my IPA this weekend (4 days )

Hall Of Fame
    Bottling should be a breeze now with this bad boy.

Planning on brewing my IPA this weekend (4 days )
    THAT'S thie ticket! Very nice.

We're going to brew a Red Chimay next.

Jets Insider VIP
    THAT'S thie ticket! Very nice.

We're going to brew a Red Chimay next.
    Sounds good

Banned
    I'm transferring Five Magics to the secondary fermenter this weekend. I normally just go with the primary only, but I really want this brew to be as clear as possible.

I'm also brewing my APA recipe this weekend. My first partial-mash! Can't wait.