Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats Up With the Brewz! Official Homebrewing Thread

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeJet View Post
    Yup. Dry hopping sounds like a good idea.

Raoul, one more question...did you use any steeping grains? They won't affect the OG, but I'm curious about that color on that amount of light DME...
    No steeping grains. I was expecting something lighter also. It's practically the same color as the Ale I did which had steeping grains.

What's dry hopping (laymans terms please)?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do you use brewing software? If so, you can probably adjust the thermal mass in your calculations for strike temp. I have an Igloo 5 gallon cooler and average about .5 to 1 gallon of headspace. I keep my adjustment at .5 everytime, and hit temps almost like clockwork, and that Igloo holds temps like a champ.
    I just use hopville's brewing calculator, which as far as I know doesn't include anything concerning temperatures.

Should I try Beer Tools?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    No steeping grains. I was expecting something lighter also. It's practically the same color as the Ale I did which had steeping grains.

What's dry hopping (laymans terms please)?
    Did the pot have anything burned on the bottom once you moved the wort to the fermenter? It sounds like maybe the boil was too vigorous and some of the extract carmelized.

Dry-hopping is adding hops to the beer when you move it to the secondary fermenter (If you ferment in the primary only, add them after a few days.) Dry-hopping mainly enhances the aroma of the brew, but it also adds some extra flavor.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sourceworx View Post
    I just use hopville's brewing calculator, which as far as I know doesn't include anything concerning temperatures.

Should I try Beer Tools?
    I've never used Beer Tools. I have tried the free trials of BeerSmith and ProMash. I ended up buying ProMash...it was awhile ago, so I can't remember what I liked better about ProMash now. People swear by BeerSmith, though. I'm sure they both do an adequate job. I think both are around $20...use the free trials and see what you like better. Not sure if BeerTools has one.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've never used Beer Tools. I have tried the free trials of BeerSmith and ProMash. I ended up buying ProMash...it was awhile ago, so I can't remember what I liked better about ProMash now. People swear by BeerSmith, though. I'm sure they both do an adequate job. I think both are around $20...use the free trials and see what you like better. Not sure if BeerTools has one.
    BeerSmith is actually what I meant. Sorry.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    BeerSmith is actually what I meant. Sorry.
    I do remember liking BeerSmith...I know I liked parts of the interface much better than ProMash, but there was one reason that stuck out for why I went with ProMash. I just can't remember what it was

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did the pot have anything burned on the bottom once you moved the wort to the fermenter? It sounds like maybe the boil was too vigorous and some of the extract carmelized.

Dry-hopping is adding hops to the beer when you move it to the secondary fermenter (If you ferment in the primary only, add them after a few days.) Dry-hopping mainly enhances the aroma of the brew, but it also adds some extra flavor.
    No burning. If anything I was gentle with the heat since I have barely enough room in my pot.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    No burning. If anything I was gentle with the heat since I have barely enough room in my pot.
    Well then maybe they gave you amber DME instead of light DME.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that. I saw a recipe that said you add one type of hops at day 18 and one at day 30, and I had no idea what they were talking about.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I dry hop, should I just take the same hops I used during the boil, or are there hops that work better for dry-hopping?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    Thanks for that. I saw a recipe that said you add one type of hops at day 18 and one at day 30, and I had no idea what they were talking about.
    Yeah for aroma you really need fermentation to be complete. If the beer is still releasing carbon dioxide the aroma of the hops is being let out as well. Your room will smell nice, but it won't do much for the beer.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I dry hop, should I just take the same hops I used during the boil, or are there hops that work better for dry-hopping?
    It depends. Certain types of hops are better for their aroma than others. In an IPA my guess would be to use Amarillo or Cascades. You really can't beat the flavor of Cascades as well.

What were the hops that you used?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    It depends. Certain types of hops are better for their aroma than others. In an IPA my guess would be to use Amarillo or Cascades. You really can't beat the flavor of Cascades as well.

What were the hops that you used?
    Amarillo.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Amarillo.
    Well there you go! Throw some Amarillo hops in!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well there you go! Throw some Amarillo hops in!
    OK, OK, OK...I'll have to buy some. I used it all up.

Just to understand, the idea in doing this is to add taste since I'll most likely end up with a beer with a high ABV.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK, OK, OK...I'll have to buy some. I used it all up.

Just to understand, the idea in doing this is to add taste since I'll most likely end up with a beer with a high ABV.
    Your beer is high gravity, which means it's most likely pretty malty. The extra hops will hopefully balance it out.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your beer is high gravity, which means it's most likely pretty malty. The extra hops will hopefully balance it out.
    Thanks.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cracked open Five Magics

Here's the home brewery

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My beer's been in the fermenter for 5 days now. Anything I should be aware of before I dry hop ??

I just throw in a handful of hops in there and let it infuse for what 2-3 days?

Also concerning my high OG, would you suggest I NOT add sugar when re-racking?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Brewmasters.....

Im looking into starting my own brew(bottles), and admittedly am a rookie at it. I was hoping some of you could steer me the right direction as far as a good kit to buy.

Thanks in advance.

SDJS

Here is some products on amazon....any good?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ew+kit&x=0&y=0