Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

Thread: Whats Up With the Brewz! Official Homebrewing Thread

Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Sourceworx has a long running thread on the subject.

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...light=homebrew

I'll leave your thread up to get the discussion going again, then merge it later.

Veteran
    Hah, I should have known that this would be well covered in the Hampur !

Bewildered Beast
    The answer isn't homebrews, it's over-tipping! I've got a big stack of $5's, and as soon as some restaurant opens, I AM GOLDEN.

And fire schotty!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    Given the Rexappointment of the Jets football season coming up to Thanksgiving, I looked to take stock of what, if anything, I am grateful for. What consolation in life do I have to counterbalance the Jets and the sucky economy ?

Clearly the answer is Homebrew.

Forgive me if you Hampurites have covered this subject before but in the event of an oversight, here is an overview.

I am guessing there are many JetsInsiders Brewers however for those that have not yet brewed and need a distraction from lifes woes, I suggest a trip to your local home brew store. Home brew stores are everywhere. If you live in an isolated cabin in Montana working on your next Opus, I suggest NorthernBrewer.com or Amazon.

In New York for home brew supplies we have Whole Foods on Second ave, BrooklynHomeBrew.com and BrooklynBrewShop.com

For a modest initial investment ($150 approx) of a basic equipment kit you can be brewing for less than $1 a beer.

Every conceivable beer type is available to brew; ales, lagers, stouts, IPA's, Belgians, English, Scottish, Irish. No, it is not difficult you don't need to have a technical apptitude just some patience and an appreciation for beer.

From start to finish of the brew/fermentation/bottling process you can be drinking your beer in as little as three weeks.

So in case this Jets season gets any worse and to help you survive the upcoming holiday season, I suggest you make that trip/place that order today.

Starting out I suggest the Brewers Best beer recipes/kits, they are easy to make and of a high quality.
    My personal favorite is an all-grain Northern Brewer beer recipe, a strong Belgian Dark Ale, called "Number 8". This beer is an eight week cycle from start to finish but worth the wait, astonishing stuff.

Happy Brewing Folks.
    Nice post.

I'll leave your thread up to get the discussion going again, then merge it later.
    Nicer response.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    I have a dilemma.

My beer's been fermenting for 2 weeks now. The gravity is stabilized and normally I'd bottle it right now. Problem is I'm leaving today on vacation and don't think I'll have the time to bottle it.

What will happen if I leave it in the fermenter another 2 weeks? Will it go bad or will it just help clearing it out?
    I missed this post. Other than with wheat beers, you really can never go wrong with letting it condition longer. You'll be fine.

Jets Insider VIP
    Extra internet points for using 'Rexappointment'...excellent.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by sourceworx View Post
    Nice post.

Nicer response.
    Sorry I missed your earlier posts, I really think we need a concerted effort to get the Hampurites brewing as we get deeper into this season of discontent.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    Extra internet points for using 'Rexappointment'...excellent.
    Thank you, that was a Saturday morning Epiphany . . .

Veteran

Merge away 32G and thak you for the headsup.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    Sorry I missed your earlier posts, I really think we need a concerted effort to get the Hampurites brewing as we get deeper into this season of discontent.
    While I find homebrewing relaxing and therapeutic, it's the drinking part that makes that freaking team's antics tolerable. Except for Thursday of course. Thursday was my breaking point. 32 years of abuse seemed to be manageable until then. I can't deal with them anymore.

I always liked the Bears. Time to get the Sunday Ticket and watch another team that isn't so maddening.

All Pro
    While I find homebrewing relaxing and therapeutic, it's the drinking part that makes that freaking team's antics tolerable. Except for Thursday of course. Thursday was my breaking point. 32 years of abuse seemed to be manageable until then. I can't deal with them anymore.

I always liked the Bears. Time to get the Sunday Ticket and watch another team that isn't so maddening.
    hahahaha you think the Bears will treat you any differently?

A good coach who players love.

Great defense that seems to have a knack for collapse late in games.

A QB who makes terrible, head scratching mistakes.

A line that can't block.

Stuck in a division they have no shot at winning for the foreseeable future.

An offensive coordinator who seems to over think and over complicate everything and doesn't recognize the strength of his personnel.

They're the NFC version of the Jets.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post

A line that can't block.

An offensive coordinator who seems to over think and over complicate everything and doesn't recognize the strength of his personnel.

Two SB appearances since the LBJ Administration. One victory with arguably the best defense that ever existed.

And that OC you talk about. He has a SB ring as an OC, and has HC experience. Can the f*cktard running the Jets offense measure up?

Didn't think so.

Next....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post

A line that can't block.

Oh and don't hijack my beer thread with your homer bullsh!t. There's plenty of dullards to circle jerk with on the Pfail Strip.

Two SB appearances since the LBJ Administration. One victory with arguably the best defense that ever existed.

And that OC you talk about. He has a SB ring as an OC, and has HC experience. Can the f*cktard running the Jets offense measure up?

Didn't think so.

Next....
    LOL! That's a killer, as well as astute, reference. Perfectly stated.

Veteran

By the beginning of the fourth quarter I've usually downed about three or four home brew trappist ales - The important thing is to sedated sufficiently to chase all post-game suicidal thoughts away.

I missed this post. Other than with wheat beers, you really can never go wrong with letting it condition longer. You'll be fine.
    I'd even say it is better to go longer. 2 weeks sounds pretty early to bottle.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeJet View Post
    Thanks for the advice, 3 months later

FTR, the beer is a dud. Practically no bubbles. Too bad cuz I can tell it would taste great. I'm still letting it sit even though it's been over 2 1/2 months since bottling..

I'll get another batch going soon. Until then I'm drinking my Belgians beers, which is a good way to wait. My neighbor is Belgian and goes there every once in a while. He's going next week and brining me back some good stuff.

A dude from work regularly goes to Germany so he's bringing me back some Heffe's as well.

I'm definitely better at drinking this stuff than making it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeJet View Post
    Right. I forgot that he's bottling, and therefore requires more time for carbonation. It's been a long time since I bottled anything. I keg and force carbonate everything now.

Veteran

FTR, the beer is a dud. Practically no bubbles. Too bad cuz I can tell it would taste great. I'm still letting it sit even though it's been over 2 1/2 months since bottling..

I'll get another batch going soon. Until then I'm drinking my Belgians beers, which is a good way to wait. My neighbor is Belgian and goes there every once in a while. He's going next week and brining me back some good stuff.

A dude from work regularly goes to Germany so he's bringing me back some Heffe's as well.

Give the home brewing another shot, even the Jets turn up a dud once in a while.

Banned

You may need to stir up the yeast in the bottles. Swirl the bottles a little bit, then let them sit upside down for a day or two. Then swirl them again and put them right side up. Repeat that for a week, then let the bottles sit normally for another couple of weeks. It may help get the yeast active again.

The downside to doing this is your beer will be cloudy when you pour it. But it won't affect the flavor. And besides brewing yeast is very healthy to consume. It's rich in vitamins that reduce the effects of hangovers.