Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats Up With the Brewz! Official Homebrewing Thread

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeJet View Post
    ...and just when it hits its peak....pffffffft...the sound of air from your tap

Glad to hear it's mellowing.
    Thanks. I don't think it's going to last long. A few friends are coming over tomorrow. I picked up a keg of Toasted Lager from Blue Point down the road, so hopefully they go for the Blue Point!

I got my chalkboard going. Nothing fancy.

Here's the taps with two fresh-poured brews from each one. Mine on the left, Blue Point on the right. Notice the tap handle that pours mine.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sourceworx View Post

Here's the taps with two fresh-poured brews from each one. Mine on the left, Blue Point on the right. Notice the tap handle that pours mine.
    Dang source, Lookin' at your brew makes me fuggin' thirsty! ...love the tap!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I got my chalkboard going. Nothing fancy.

Notice the tap handle that pours mine.
    Nice. Love the Jet handle...I'll have to get me one of them...

Still have the trim work to do, but I put the chalk boards up...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice. Love the Jet handle...I'll have to get me one of them...

Still have the trim work to do, but I put the chalk boards up...

Awesome! Are those taps mounted into a wall in your house? If so that's hardcore my friend!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome! Are those taps mounted into a wall in your house? If so that's hardcore my friend!
    Yup, that's the most important wall in the man cave

I have a temp controlled freezer on the other side in the laundry room. Eventually, I will be adding a 3rd tap. I figure have the Pale Ale at all times on one, rotate a seasonal on another, and rotate a lighter beer for the wife and BMC drinking friends of mine

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yup, that's the most important wall in the man cave

I have a temp controlled freezer on the other side in the laundry room. Eventually, I will be adding a 3rd tap. I figure have the Pale Ale at all times on one, rotate a seasonal on another, and rotate a lighter beer for the wife and BMC drinking friends of mine
    That is awesome. I love it!

Yeah with my two taps I'm just going to keep it simple. One light, easy drinking brew while the second will be either a dark or just stronger.

I brewed a hefeweizen yesterday at my wife's request. I wanted to make a dunkelweisse, but she wanted the lighter version. It's all good, weissbiers in general are my favorite style. I'm picking up another keg this upcoming weekend, so I'm trying to figure out the next beer.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Geez guys, is this all you do???

BTW, I'm waiting for my ingredients to be delivered. I'll keep you posted as the fiasco progresses.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post

Yeah kind of.

BTW, I'm waiting for my ingredients to be delivered. I'll keep you posted as the fiasco progresses.
    What did you end up ordering?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I do do other things...but drinking is usually involved in those events as well...so this is the most IMPORTANT thing I do

What will you be brewing...and I doubt it will be a fiasco...remember, there are no mistakes in brewing...only limited editition releases

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah kind of.

What did you end up ordering?
    Well, I do do other things...but drinking is usually involved in those events as well...so this is the most IMPORTANT thing I do

What will you be brewing...and I doubt it will be a fiasco...remember, there are no mistakes in brewing...only limited editition releases
    I bought an ale (Summer Ale):

50grm East Kent Goldings Hops
    25grm Progress Hops
    2 x 1kg Light dried malt extract
    350g Crushed Crystal Malt
    Safale S-04 Yeast

Here's the recipe from the site. What do you guys think of it?

Instructions

Sanitise all equipment and rise before using.

Bring 6 litres of water to between 65-70 C and steep 350g of the crystal malt for 30 mins. Monitor the temp and add heat if it drops below 65 C. Remove the grains with a strainer and bring the liquid to the boil.

Dissolve the malt extract and 15g of the Progress hops and 20g of Goldings. Boil for 30 mins. Add a further 10g of Progress hops and 15g of the Goldings and boil for a further 30 minutes. Add a further 15g of the Goldings for another 2 mins.

Add 8 litres of water to a the fermenting bin then strain the boiled liquid into the water. Top up the fermenting bin to 21 litre mark. Ideally pouring the remaining water through the strainer to extract maximum flavour from the hops. Add the yeast when the liquid has cooled, if in doubt use a thermometer to check the temperature. Take a hydrometer reading and record starting gravity. Place a clean tea towel over the top of the fermenting bin then place the lid loosley on top. Move to a suitable area in the house and leave until fermentation is complete. Bottle or Barrel and wait approx 1 - 2 weeks to clear.

OG: 1.035-1.038

FG: 1.008-1.012

This will give you an ABV of around 3.5%.

See our Need to know - Barrel or Bottle section for more information.

As with all extract recipes, you can add or change the ingredients to personalise the brews. The options are endless but here are a few suggestions to get you started:

* Add 2 teaspoons of crushed coriander seed to the boil.

* Add Kaffir Lime leaves at the end of the boil for a refreshing zing.

* Try adding fresh grated ginger for the last 15 mins of the boil

* Exclude the crystal malt for a golden coloured ale.

* Try using different yeasts as they all add individual character to your beer.

* Try using different hops. You will need to alter the qty's to allow for different alpha contents.

* You can add more malt extract to increase the ABV. 500g will increase by around 0.5%. Add to the pan after boiling is complete otherwise you will alter the bitterness.

Bottling:

Boil 175ml of sugar or 300ml of plain dried malt extract in 1 pint of water. This is your priming solution.

Sterilise and rinse a suitable container (ideally another fermenting bin) and add the boiled sugar priming solution.

Place you beer on a table or kitchen work surface and the clean fermenting bin on the floor.

Fill a plastic syphon tube completely with water (no bubbles) and cover both end with your thumbs. (Wash your hands prior to this to ensure good hygiene).

Quickly place one end of the syphon tube into the beer and then slowly lower the other end into the bottom of clean fermenting bin. Remove your thumb and let the liquid transfer. Ensure that the ends of the syphon remain under the surface of the liquid at all times but be careful not to disturb the yeast sediment when you get near the bottom. If you carefully tip the beer at the end it enables you to get more of the liquid out without transferring the sediment. Don't worry if a bit goes in, your beer will be fine. Take a final hydrometer reading.

Place your beer on a high surface and syphon (without splashing) into your clean, sterilised bottles or use a fermenter + tap and little bottler. Leave about 2.5cm of air space at the top to allow enough C02 to form.

If you using glass bottles and crown caps, Boil your lids for 5 minutes to sterilise, allow to cool and then use a capper to seal your bottles.

Keep the beer somewhere warm for a week to allow the priming sugar to ferment then store for another week or so to allow to clear. Chill as required before serving. There will be a small amount of sediment at the bottom of the bottle so be careful when pouring and leave the last bit in the bottle so you do not disturb the sediment resulting in cloudy beer. Don't worry of you do though, it will taste fine and will do you no harm!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just a suggestion...since you're going for a light colored beer, you may want to hold back about half of the extract until about 15 minutes left in the boil. Also, make sure your temp is below 70 degrees (preferably closer to 65 - sorry, I'm too lazy to look up the conversion temp for you ) before you pitch the yeast.

I love S-04, that yeast is usually fast...if you're looking for a cleaner finish with the Summer Ale, I'd suggest 05...but again, I love 04.
    Last edited by OrangeJet; 03-01-2010 at 03:49 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just a suggestion...since you're going for a light colored beer, you may want to hold back about half of the extract until about 15 minutes left in the boil. Also, make sure your temp is below 70 degrees (preferably closer to 65 - sorry, I'm too lazy to look up the conversion temp for you ) before you pitch the yeast.

I love S-04, that yeast is usually fast...if you're looking for a cleaner finish with the Summer Ale, I'd suggest 05...but again, I love 04.
    You love yeast...

...only in a homebrew thread can you say that with a serious face

I received the ingredients yesterday. I'll get cracking on this shortly.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    You love yeast...

...only in a homebrew thread can you say that with a serious face

I received the ingredients yesterday. I'll get cracking on this shortly.
    He's right though. When you steep the grains, it is extremely important that you do not allow the temperature of the wort to rise above 70 degress fahrenheit (21 degrees celcius). It will ruin your beer. Make sure you have a thermometer.

Good luck and have fun!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's right though. When you steep the grains, it is extremely important that you do not allow the temperature of the wort to rise above 70 degress fahrenheit (21 degrees celcius). It will ruin your beer. Make sure you have a thermometer.

Good luck and have fun!
    Sorry, I don’t understand. Unless I misread, Orange said to be careful not to pitch in the yeast until wort cools below 70F.

You’re saying I should be under 70 when I pitch in the malt? Spefically the first part of the recipe I posted ??

Bring 6 litres of water to between 65-70 C and steep 350g of the crystal malt for 30 mins. Monitor the temp and add heat if it drops below 65 C. Remove the grains with a strainer and bring the liquid to the boil.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, I don’t understand. Unless I misread, Orange said to be careful not to pitch in the yeast until wort cools below 70F.

You’re saying I should be under 70 when I pitch in the malt? Spefically the first part of the recipe I posted ??

Yeah, I was speaking yeast pitching temps. You should be able to steep at mash temps...148-158. I think most just try to keep it around 155. Again, too lazy to look up your crazy numbers (yes, I do know you have the better system )

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I'm the dunce. Not you.

The recipe has crushed Crystal malt that you are supposed to steep (or soak) in water at the beginning of the brewing process. Put those grains in the brewpot with cold water in it. Start heating the water, but do not allow it to heat above 170 degrees fahrenheit (76 degrees celcius). Leave it in the water for approximately 15-20 mins below that temperature. Then take out the grains and bring the wort to a boil before you add your extracts and hops as the recipe calls for.

Heating the grains above that temperature will allow the grains to release tannins into the wort, which will mess with the flavor of the beer (and trust me not in a good way). I ruined a batch by not following this.

What OrangeJet was saying is to pitch the yeast after the temp has dropped to 70 degrees fahrenheit (21 degress celcius). Pitching it at a higher temp can also create off flavors or even kill the yeast....not a good thing at all.
    Last edited by Sourceworx; 03-02-2010 at 11:26 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys for puting this in laymans terms. I realize how far I was from doing all these things the first 2 tries.

Now I need a cheesecloth...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys for puting this in laymans terms. I realize how far I was from doing all these things the first 2 tries.

Now I need a cheesecloth...
    If you have a pasta strainer with very small holes you can do it the way the instructions say to do it. The cheesecloth makes it easier. Put the grains in it, tie it up and put it in the water. No straining necessary, just remove the bag.

It's only been a few months, but I've realized how delicate the process is. You can really screw up a batch badly if you don't follow some of the guidelines.
    Last edited by Sourceworx; 03-02-2010 at 11:38 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not to mention I have to google verbs like "steep" and "strain" to understand wlf it has to do with making beer.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not to mention I have to google verbs like "steep" and "strain" to understand wlf it has to do with making beer.

Best resource on the web.
    http://www.howtobrew.com