Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats Up With the Brewz! Official Homebrewing Thread

Banned

Official Homebrewing Thread

I was talking with Raoul through PMs about homebrewing, and we both thought it would be a cool idea to have a thread to talk all about homebrewing. I know OrangeJet and a few others on JI brew regularly. I myself started brewing in October and I absolutely love it. It's such a great feeling to crack open a beer that I made myself, and having it taste really good.

So feel free to post recipes, brewing tips, etc.
    Last edited by Sourceworx; 04-26-2010 at 10:50 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Good man Source

I told Sourceworx that it was Jstokes thread that made me want to give it a go, so maybe this thread will do the same for others.

Five star thread!

Agreed...great thread.

I am absolutely addicted to brewing. I have a fridge that can't handle one more beer, a closet filled with them, a spare bedroom littered with them, two batches fermenting now, and my next one tentatively planned for Wednesday...another batch of the Haus Pale Ale I just brewed last week. Never again, will I be left with a blown keg of it without a back-up.

I love cracking open a homebrew and tasting it side by side with a commercial version. It's an awesome feeling when yours is better Also very humbling when yours sucks....

If there is one tip that I think has done wonders, it's temperature. Ignore any instructions that say to pitch the yeast under 90 degrees. Wait until it is under 70.

edit: sometimes the esters caused by higher temps are desireable...

Hall Of Fame
    Should try to necro that thread, there were some great pointers in it.

Love the homebrew, if made right, can be better than store bought beer.

I was fortunate, the first times I tried it, I had a brewmaster take me through the process.

I love Lagers and Pils, so I usually stick to them, made a bunch of really tasty ones

And most of the recipes are out of a book that this guy had from about 15 years ago.

Found some great recipes on line too. My buddy that I brew with insists we try different styles in addition to our lagers, so we've made some Heffe Weisen and some Pale Ales, all really very good.

Haven't brewed in a few months, I think it's time to crank out a batch or 2

Jets Insider VIP
    What about IPA's? How hard are they to homebrew?

Banned
    So far my first beer was my best. It was an Imperial Brown Ale that I made from a recipe kit. I added cinnamon, brown sugar, honey and 3lbs of sliced apples during the boil. The beer came out amazing. Some of my friends have been begging me to make another batch of it.

Since then I've made some other brews. Some good, some not so good. My last brew came out pretty bad. It was the first beer where I used finnings. It looked beautiful, like a commercial beer. But the flavor was kind of soapy. I think the extract I used was old or bad. Either that or it got contaminated.

Currently I have an Irish Red that's going to be bottled this upcoming weekend. The recipe calls for aging it at least a month, so I'll have it ready to go on St. Paddy's Day.

I also brewed this past weekend, expecting to be snowed in. A simple English Pale Ale with a healthy amount of Fuggles hops.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    I've never brewed an IPA, but the beer I just brewed this past weekend was a pretty simple recipe. I'll let you know in a few weeks how it turned out.
    Last edited by Sourceworx; 02-18-2010 at 10:47 AM.

Not really brewing beer, but I did get a make-yer-own wine kit. Looks straightforward and wanted to wait until after the SB to get started. Maybe have to make some beer at the same time.

Banned
    By the way, how many of you guys brew all grain beers? How much space is needed?

I've been sticking to extract brews, mainly because I don't have a ton of space to work in.

Hall Of Fame
    My wife went shopping for Super Bowl beer and the sales woman was pushing some Chocolate Stout. It was 10.99 for a big bottle though, so she passed and got Smuttynose Winter Ale. Maybe for the better.

Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    One of the easiest...and unless you buy hops by the pound, can be a tad on the expensive side. If you're a regular brewer of IPA's, hops by the pound is the only way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by sourceworx View Post
    By the way, how many of you guys brew all grain beers? How much space is needed?

I've been sticking to extract brews, mainly because I don't have a ton of space to work in.
    All grain here. You don't need much more space...but you need the ability to boil around 7 gallons of wort, along with the ability to chill it in a reasonable amount of time. I can get my temp to 65 in about 15-20 minutes with an immersion chiller and an ice bath.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    My wife went shopping for Super Bowl beer and the sales woman was pushing some Chocolate Stout. It was 10.99 for a big bottle though, so she passed and got Smuttynose Winter Ale. Maybe for the better.
    did ya hear 'bout my bottom?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeJet View Post
    All grain here. You don't need much more space...but you need the ability to boil around 7 gallons of wort, along with the ability to chill it in a reasonable amount of time. I can get my temp to 65 in about 15-20 minutes with an immersion chiller and an ice bath.
    You have any good extract recipes? I really want to brew a good dunkelweizen. I've found a few recipes on byo.com, but I don't know if they're any good.

Quote Originally Posted by sourceworx View Post
    You have any good extract recipes? I really want to brew a good dunkelweizen. I've found a few recipes on byo.com, but I don't know if they're any good.
    It's been awhile since I have done any extract brews, and I never did a dunkelweizen with extract. If you find a good looking all-grain receipe, you can use about 20% less extract to sub for the base malt and steep any specialty grains, though.

Jets Insider VIP
    All right, I’ve been trying to find an extract recipe for an IPA that does not require a cold fermentation since my basement is 20°C and that’s all the storage space I have.

I’ve found zillions, each recipe has anything from 2 to 5 different malt extracts and 3 to 4 different hops.

WTF do I buy ????

From my online store here’s what I can get.

Dry malt extracts. From what I understand they are generic:
    Amber
    Black
    Blond
    Dark

As for the hops (pellets)
    Amerillo
    Brewers Gold
    Cascade (I saw this one mentioned a number of times in the IPA recipes)
    Challenger
    East Kent Goldings
    Fuggles
    Hallertau Hersbrucker
    Hallertau Mittelfrüh
    Hallertau Perle
    Northern brewer
    Saaz
    Spalt select
    Styrian goldings
    Target
    Tettnanger
    Willamette

As for the yeast, I think I’m OK. I found this:
    Wyeast – Brewer’s Choice: American Ale

Can someone help me pick out the correct ingredients?

Thanks.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    All right, I’ve been trying to find an extract recipe for an IPA that does not require a cold fermentation since my basement is 20°C and that’s all the storage space I have.

I’ve found zillions, each recipe has anything from 2 to 5 different malt extracts and 3 to 4 different hops.

WTF do I buy ????

From my online store here’s what I can get.

Dry malt extracts. From what I understand they are generic:
    Amber
    Black
    Blond
    Dark

As for the hops (pellets)
    Amerillo
    Brewers Gold
    Cascade (I saw this one mentioned a number of times in the IPA recipes)
    Challenger
    East Kent Goldings
    Fuggles
    Hallertau Hersbrucker
    Hallertau Mittelfrüh
    Hallertau Perle
    Northern brewer
    Saaz
    Spalt select
    Styrian goldings
    Target
    Tettnanger
    Willamette

As for the yeast, I think I’m OK. I found this:
    Wyeast – Brewer’s Choice: American Ale

Can someone help me pick out the correct ingredients?

Thanks.

IPAs don't require a cold fermentation. They are ales, which are supposed to ferment in the 60-70°F range. Your basement should be fine for any of them.

Check out northernbrewer.com for ingredients. They also have some good recipe kits, with numerous IPA recipes. The website has user reviews on a lot of the kits, so you can see what's good and what isn't.

Cascade hops are a must in IPAs. Great aroma and flavor.

But honestly check into the recipe kits especially if you're brewing for the first time. It's a good way to learn the initial process. Plus you can always modify them.

I just bottled my red ale two days ago. I'm kegging my English Bitter this weekend. It's going to be the first time I force carbonate a beer.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeJet View Post
    It's been awhile since I have done any extract brews, and I never did a dunkelweizen with extract. If you find a good looking all-grain receipe, you can use about 20% less extract to sub for the base malt and steep any specialty grains, though.
    Thanks. I found a Hacker Pshorr Dunkelweisse (my favorite) clone recipe on BYO that I'm going to try next week.

Rex Banner is not amused...