Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 85

Thread: Knicks Close To Acquiring McGrady

  1. #1
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Back Home!
    Posts
    8,768

    Knicks Close To Acquiring McGrady

    The New York Knicks are getting closer to reaching the Houston Rockets’ demands for Tracy McGrady(notes) and his $23 million expiring contract, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

    The Knicks and Rockets have designed the framework of a deal that would unload New York’s Jared Jeffries(notes), Jordan Hill(notes) and either Al Harrington(notes) or Larry Hughes(notes) for McGrady, Joey Dorsey(notes) and Brian Cook(notes).

    As talks stood on Monday, the price of dumping the burdensome contract of Jeffries – who is owed $6.9 million next season – comes with the Knicks and Rockets exchanging 2011 first-round picks and the Knicks’ 2012 first-round choice going to Houston. New York also might include a 2010 second-round pick.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns

  2. #2
    I'm all for unloading Jeffries, but I'm not thrilled about giving up Hill AND the whole draft pick aspect.

  3. #3
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    492
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    I'm all for unloading Jeffries, but I'm not thrilled about giving up Hill AND the whole draft pick aspect.
    Agreed, it isn't great that we can never see if Hill develops into anything, but if he was needed to get rid JJ so they have the ability to go after 2 max guys then so be it.

    If DW lands a combo of Bosh/James, Bosh/Wade, Bosh/Johnson it will have been well worth it because their 2011 pick will be further down than Houston's in a weak Eastern Conf and that 2012 pick will be garbage for Houston.

    Its a gamble, but hey, the Knicks have nothing to lose right?

  4. #4
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    3,165
    Losing Hill is acceptable in order to dump Jeffries.

    I dont like them throwing picks in the mix, we're still hurting from Isiah's mistakes on that. Like not having a pick this year

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Icer View Post
    Losing Hill is acceptable in order to dump Jeffries.

    I dont like them throwing picks in the mix, we're still hurting from Isiah's mistakes on that. Like not having a pick this year
    Agreed. This draft pick talk doesn't sit well with me.

  6. #6
    Rick Adelman will make Jordan Hill an All-Star. Not sure I feel about this because once again we give up every draft pick possible for a half a season rental. Taking all those picks is probably what the Rockets demanded for taking Jefferies. Getting Jefferies off the books is HUGE, but that doesn't matter if we don't get a LeBron/Bosh combo in the off season. If we don't this franchise is screwed another 5 years, without having the ability to regroup through the draft because all of their picks will be gone. Hill's impressed me in the limited time he has played, dissapointed to give up on him so soon, but that 7 mill is huge.

  7. #7
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,105
    Flipping 2011 1st rounders and the Knicks 2012 1st rounder???

    Are you kidding me??? David Stern needs to step in on this.

    The Knicks don't have a 2010 1st rounder because of that idiot Isiah and the Scourge of NY Sports James Dolan. They'll have another lockery pick in 2011 (no one is going to sign with them this offseason IMO), which they'll lose to Houston who won't be in the lottery, and another 2012 lottery pick. Gone.

    A disgrace.

    The Knicks have made the playoffs once this decade and have squandered 1st round picks on idiotic trades or back selections. For the sake of the franchise only David Stern can stop this.

    The Knicks are giving up 2 lottery picks for a 1 year rental. That's moronic.

  8. #8
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    7,239
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Flipping 2011 1st rounders and the Knicks 2012 1st rounder???

    Are you kidding me??? David Stern needs to step in on this.

    The Knicks don't have a 2010 1st rounder because of that idiot Isiah and the Scourge of NY Sports James Dolan. They'll have another lockery pick in 2011 (no one is going to sign with them this offseason IMO), which they'll lose to Houston who won't be in the lottery, and another 2012 lottery pick. Gone.

    A disgrace.

    The Knicks have made the playoffs once this decade and have squandered 1st round picks on idiotic trades or back selections. For the sake of the franchise only David Stern can stop this.

    The Knicks are giving up 2 lottery picks for a 1 year rental. That's moronic.
    If the Knicks get some free agents they could end up improving their pick by having a better record than the Rockets.

    I'm pretty sure 2012 is lottery protected.

    Losing Hill is the biggest negative

  9. #9
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Hoboken, NJ
    Posts
    1,410
    I'm all for unloading the picks AND J. Hill if it means $35m in cap space. This would allow them to get 2 superstars!!

    There's a risk involved, but its a risk I'd be will to take.

  10. #10
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,105
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    If the Knicks get some free agents they could end up improving their pick by having a better record than the Rockets.

    I'm pretty sure 2012 is lottery protected.

    Losing Hill is the biggest negative
    We can only hope that it would be lottery protected. Isaiah gave up THREE lottery picks for Curry and Stephon. I would have faith that Walsh is smarter, but no one involved with the Knicks should ever be given the benefit of the doubt.

    The thing is, because the Knicks are a god awful team owned by the worst owner in the NBA, I don't know if the premier free agents would want to play for the Knicks.

    In other words, LeBron and Bosh could come to the Knicks and they still won't be that good. LeBron wants to win a championship. The Knicks can't offer him than based on what they'll have on the team to surround him.

    The Knicks could make this McGrady trade, have a ton of cap space, but no FA signing and no lottery picks for the next 2 years.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    We can only hope that it would be lottery protected. Isaiah gave up THREE lottery picks for Curry and Stephon. I would have faith that Walsh is smarter, but no one involved with the Knicks should ever be given the benefit of the doubt.

    The thing is, because the Knicks are a god awful team owned by the worst owner in the NBA, I don't know if the premier free agents would want to play for the Knicks.

    In other words, LeBron and Bosh could come to the Knicks and they still won't be that good. LeBron wants to win a championship. The Knicks can't offer him than based on what they'll have on the team to surround him.

    The Knicks could make this McGrady trade, have a ton of cap space, but no FA signing and no lottery picks for the next 2 years.
    totally disagree, players are rarely selecting their team based on the owner. Yes the team has been bad but at least its in a rebuilding mode,a major part of which is clearing cap space. I'm not sure I agree with this trade because of the draft picks the Knicks are giving up.

    In terms of free agents and their agents, they are going to see a few things. First, Money. If the Knicks can offer max contracts then they're already a player. Next, D'Antoni. Like him or hate him the majority of players who know him and have played for him like him. Coach is a big draw for a team. Then there's MSG, playing in the Garden is a big factor, it along with the NY media attention separates the team, when good from most other NBA teams. Finally, if a player or a few players could be a part of the team to return the Knicks to greatness from the disaster they have been it would be huge. They would vindicate their whole career with several winning seasons or one championship.

    Now the Knicks will have to be good enough to make the playoffs, but if u put Lebron on any team in the East and they are in the playoffs. Give him another major cog at PF or C and they have a chance for the title. The NY case for free agents is a good one, don't sleep on it.

    That being said, if they give up 2 first round picks or something then its a bad trade, even though i think jordan hill is overrated.

  12. #12
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,105
    Quote Originally Posted by tony montana View Post
    totally disagree, players are rarely selecting their team based on the owner. Yes the team has been bad but at least its in a rebuilding mode,a major part of which is clearing cap space. I'm not sure I agree with this trade because of the draft picks the Knicks are giving up.

    In terms of free agents and their agents, they are going to see a few things. First, Money. If the Knicks can offer max contracts then they're already a player. Next, D'Antoni. Like him or hate him the majority of players who know him and have played for him like him. Coach is a big draw for a team. Then there's MSG, playing in the Garden is a big factor, it along with the NY media attention separates the team, when good from most other NBA teams. Finally, if a player or a few players could be a part of the team to return the Knicks to greatness from the disaster they have been it would be huge. They would vindicate their whole career with several winning seasons or one championship.

    Now the Knicks will have to be good enough to make the playoffs, but if u put Lebron on any team in the East and they are in the playoffs. Give him another major cog at PF or C and they have a chance for the title. The NY case for free agents is a good one, don't sleep on it.

    That being said, if they give up 2 first round picks or something then its a bad trade, even though i think jordan hill is overrated.
    Good points, and I hope for Knick fans you're right.

    But the Knicks have been a bad team for nearly a decade. That means that for all the premier FAs out there, the last time the Knicks had been good was before they had hit puberty.

    LeBron is the Messiah for the Knicks without question. No other FA would have his impact on-and-off the court for the Knicks.

    I just wish Chris Paul hadn't reupped with the Hornets because he would have been a perfect compliment for LeBron, which would have justified this bad trade proposal (and I'm okay with giving up Hill, but not the 2 1st rounders). The same with Nash signing the extension with Phoenix.

    The Knicks have no PG to speak of and if there is any hope for the Knicks to become good again they'd need to get LeBron, another premier FA AND hope that they can get a PG.
    Last edited by SMC; 02-16-2010 at 04:47 PM.

  13. #13
    Last night, I was under the impression that this was almost a done deal, but from what I've heard today, it isn't. Sounds like if the trade doesn't go down, the Rockets will buy out T-Mac and he'll end up signing with the Knicks anyway. That really won't have any effect on the team in the present or future. Despite the talk of the draft picks, I still want this trade to go down and to be ridded of Jeffries contract.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by tony montana View Post
    totally disagree, players are rarely selecting their team based on the owner. Yes the team has been bad but at least its in a rebuilding mode,a major part of which is clearing cap space. I'm not sure I agree with this trade because of the draft picks the Knicks are giving up.

    In terms of free agents and their agents, they are going to see a few things. First, Money. If the Knicks can offer max contracts then they're already a player. Next, D'Antoni. Like him or hate him the majority of players who know him and have played for him like him. Coach is a big draw for a team. Then there's MSG, playing in the Garden is a big factor, it along with the NY media attention separates the team, when good from most other NBA teams. Finally, if a player or a few players could be a part of the team to return the Knicks to greatness from the disaster they have been it would be huge. They would vindicate their whole career with several winning seasons or one championship.

    Now the Knicks will have to be good enough to make the playoffs, but if u put Lebron on any team in the East and they are in the playoffs. Give him another major cog at PF or C and they have a chance for the title. The NY case for free agents is a good one, don't sleep on it.

    That being said, if they give up 2 first round picks or something then its a bad trade, even though i think jordan hill is overrated.
    I agree, I don't think the horrendous ownership of the Knicks will have any impact on who they do or don't sign. The Garden and NYC is enough of an attraction and if Lebron goes anywhere, he's coming here. It's either Cleveland or New York for him.

  15. #15
    Sounds like this deal is coming down to both sides agreeing on the draft picks. Obviously, the Knicks want lottery protection and that seems to be the hold up right now. Knicks still stand as the favorite to be the trading partner with Houston, but Chicago is also in the mix offering a package like Miller/Thomas and at most, 1 draft pick. This was as per Marc Stein about an hour ago, when he was a guest on the Michael Kay Show.

  16. #16
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    7,239
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    We can only hope that it would be lottery protected. Isaiah gave up THREE lottery picks for Curry and Stephon. I would have faith that Walsh is smarter, but no one involved with the Knicks should ever be given the benefit of the doubt.

    The thing is, because the Knicks are a god awful team owned by the worst owner in the NBA, I don't know if the premier free agents would want to play for the Knicks.

    In other words, LeBron and Bosh could come to the Knicks and they still won't be that good. LeBron wants to win a championship. The Knicks can't offer him than based on what they'll have on the team to surround him.

    The Knicks could make this McGrady trade, have a ton of cap space, but no FA signing and no lottery picks for the next 2 years.
    Lebron/Bosh/Chandler/Gallo is better than the Cavs have now and the Cavs are the best team in the East...by a lot too.

    The team wouldnt be deep and Walsh would have to buy another late round draft pick and take a guy who can play one role (ie a shooter). I also imagine a good player would take the mid level exception in order to play with Lebron.

  17. #17
    Looks like these deal may be dying from a Knicks perspective...

    http://twitter.com/ChrisMannixSI

    ChrisMannixSI

    NBA source: Rockets looking for a third team to revive talks with Chicago. Knicks still in the mix.
    22 minutes ago from web

    Nate's a definite Celtic, could play tomorrow against LA, source says.
    about 2 hours ago from web

  18. #18
    Mixed reports...

    http://twitter.com/wojyahooNBA

    WojYahooNBA

    As the Knicks work to secure T-Mac, NY GM Donnie Walsh still talking with Bulls on a Tyrus Thomas-Al Harrington package, sources say.
    4 minutes ago from web

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    Looks like these deal may be dying from a Knicks perspective...

    http://twitter.com/ChrisMannixSI
    Rockets could just be blowing smoke to get the Knicks to panic and agree to their terms...

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Rockets could just be blowing smoke to get the Knicks to panic and agree to their terms...
    Yea, who knows what the hell is going on.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us