Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Knicks Close To Acquiring McGrady

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    There was a 3-way deal between Houston, Sacramento, and Chicago, but since Salmons was traded to the Bucks, that's over.

Now it's looking like Houston might not get anything for T-Mac. As much as I want to get rid of Jeffries, I'm glad Walsh didn't let up about giving up the draft picks.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    Yea, who knows what the hell is going on.
    What we do know is that our show pony N8 is gone and that frees up a lot more minutes for Toney Douglas. I watched him at Florida State and his defense is contagious, you want him on the court. He's the kind of player you develop and I'd rather Eddie House mentor him than Robinson.

Getting one veteran PG (with a ring) and another young shooting guard for a guy that's uncontrollable and a coach's nightmare. Walsh made a great move to rid this team of its loose-ends.

I'm just happy to see that this team upgraded before the trade deadline and also cleared more cap space with the Darko trade. If the T-Mac deal goes down and Jeffries/Hughes are sent off, I would be thrilled.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dassin View Post
    What we do know is that our show pony N8 is gone and that frees up a lot more minutes for Toney Douglas. I watched him at Florida State and his defense is contagious, you want him on the court. He's the kind of player you develop and I'd rather Eddie House mentor him than Robinson.

Getting one veteran PG (with a ring) and another young shooting guard for a guy that's uncontrollable and a coach's nightmare. Walsh made a great move to rid this team of its loose-ends.

I'm just happy to see that this team upgraded before the trade deadline and also cleared more cap space with the Darko trade. If the T-Mac deal goes down and Jeffries/Hughes are sent off, I would be thrilled.
    Same here. I hope that Walsh can lower the Rockets' bid for draft picks (and maybe Hill), but this is the best possible scenario, IMO.

It's all about the FA class, and it looks like the Knicks can sign 2 max FA, as long as the salary cap is above $51M.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dassin View Post

Completely agree with you.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Sources: Knicks confident in deal

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4923451

Updated: February 17, 2010, 11:40 PM ET
    Sources: Knicks confident in deal

The New York Knicks and Houston Rockets continue to work on a Tracy McGrady trade in advance of Thursday's 3 p.m. trading deadline, with three sources close to the process insisting late Wednesday that the trade can still be consummated in time even though the sides have clashed on some of the final parameters.

"I'm pretty confident," one source said Wednesday night.

Sources say the Knicks are also increasingly interested in swinging a separate deal with the Chicago Bulls before the deadline that would send out Al Harrington in exchange for Tyrus Thomas and the expiring contract of former Knicks center Jerome James.

After Houston had narrowed the McGrady field Tuesday to the Knicks and Bulls as the only destinations for the disgruntled two-time scoring champion, Chicago began moving in different directions with its trade assets as Wednesday wore on. Sources say that the Rockets' trade energies were thus focused on trying to reach a consensus with the Knicks on the draft considerations needed to clinch an agreement without the involvement of a third team.

In exchange for taking back the Knicks' Jared Jeffries -- whose contract will pay as much as $7.6 million next season once a trade kicker is applied -- Houston is seeking three assets: New York's 2012 first-round pick, the right to swap first-round picks with the Knicks in the 2011 draft and Knicks rookie Jordan Hill.

Yet sources say New York balked Wednesday, even though shedding Jeffries' contract would enable the Knicks to sign two top-tier free agents this summer. The Knicks, source said, have conveyed to the Rockets that they're only willing to package two of those assets along with Jeffries and the $13.7 million expiring contract of Larry Hughes for McGrady's own expiring deal valued at $22.5 million.

Sources say the Knicks also want 1-to-10 lottery protection on any draft pick it surrenders to the Rockets, while Houston is pushing for the 2012 pick to be fully unprotected.

"We'd like McGrady and the cap relief," one Knicks source told ESPN.com's Chad Ford on Wednesday. "But the Rockets are asking for too much. We're willing to pay a premium to make a deal. But the price right now is still too high."

The Bulls' re-entrance in McGrady talks, meanwhile, is considered unlikely even though Houston remains open to the possibility, after Chicago struck a deal with Milwaukee involving guard John Salmons.

The Bulls pulled Salmons out of Wednesday's game in New York because of a pending trade that will send Salmons to the Bucks for the expiring contracts of Kurt Thomas or Hakim Warrick and Francisco Elson. Chicago has also had increasingly serious discussions with the Knicks on the Ty Thomas-for-Harrington front; Salmons and Thomas were both part of the Bulls' most recent McGrady offers.

Finding a home for Salmons' $5.8 million salary next season was huge for the Bulls, since it will give them sufficient salary-cap space to bid for a top-tier free agent to pair with All-Star guard Derrick Rose -- along with teams such as New York, Miami, New Jersey and the Los Angeles Clippers, who joined that enviable club by shedding the contracts of Al Thornton and Sebastian Telfair in a three-way trade earlier Wednesday that landed Antawn Jamison in Cleveland.

But Chicago has been shopping Thomas for weeks and is still intent on moving him, sources say, although the Bulls have been hoping to score at least one first-round pick for the enigmatic power forward.

The Knicks have offered the requisite expiring contract in Harrington -- who can also give the Bulls offense a jolt -- but are not offering draft considerations in a Thomas deal, sources said.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now this...

http://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA

Components of deal: Tracy McGrady, Carl Laundry and Joey Dorsey for Kevin Martin, Kenny Thomas, Hilton Armstrong and Sergio Rodriguez,
    1 minutes ago from web

Sacramento management told Paul Westphal to pull Kevin Martin in the second half of loss to Warriors, once agreement was within reach.
    3 minutes ago from web

Houston gave up on Knicks deal tonight, and decided to make T-Mac deal for player it most coveted: Sacramento's Kevin Martin.
    5 minutes ago from web

Sources: Houston has traded T-Mac to Kings for multi-player package including Kevin Martin: http://tinyurl.com/y85ezbc
    6 minutes ago from web

Houston has traded T-Mac for a package including Kevin Martin. Story link to come
    God damn it.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

McGrady to Kings starting to spread-ESPN

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4923777

Updated: February 18, 2010, 1:22 AM ET

Sources: Martin heading to Rockets

The Houston Rockets, in an abrupt late twist to their long-running efforts to trade Tracy McGrady, have reached an agreement in principal with the Sacramento Kings to acquire coveted guard Kevin Martin, ESPN.com has learned.

Martin was pulled from the second half of the Kings' game Wednesday night at Golden State in anticipation of the trade, sources said.

Although the details of the complete construction of the trade could not immediately be confirmed, sources said that it's possible that the deal could be expanded into a three-way trade that lands Rockets guard Tracy McGrady with the New York Knicks before Thursday's 3 p.m. trading deadline.

One source with knowledge of the talks told ESPN.com that McGrady will either end up with the Kings or the Knicks by the deadline to bring Martin to Houston after Sacramento refused trade interest in the high-scoring guard for weeks.

As much as I would have loved the cap relief, I credit Walsh for having balls & not pulling an Isiah and FURTHER compromising unprotected draft picks; the only way Knicks can rebuild after losing all these players with expiring contracts.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://twitter.com/RicBucher

RicBucher

Knicks' interest in Rodriguez makes sense. He had a draft workout for Suns when D'Antoni was there + supposedly always rued not taking him.
    1 minutes ago from web

If Sac and Hou can pull Knicks into 3-team deal, Sergio Rodriguez + TMac would go to NY, a source says. Told Sac-Hou two-way deal not done.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Via Marc Stein:

“…Multiple sources told ESPN.com that the Rockets and Kings will spend Thursday trying to make this a three-way deal that lands McGrady with the New York Knicks, who have been McGrady’s preferred destination ever since he and the Rockets mutually agreed in late December to find the 30-year-old a new team via trade.

“I think it will happen,” one source close to the situation told ESPN.com of McGrady winding up with the Knicks…

…Sources told ESPN The Magazine’s Ric Bucher that McGrady and Rodriguez would be sent to the Knicks in a three-team scenario sure to feature New York’s Jared Jeffries if it comes to fruition…”

http://www.theknicksblog.com/2010/02...y-deal-likely/

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll be keeping my fingers crossed. I'm in class for the next few hours until about 2, so that's the next time I'll be able to check in.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll be keeping my fingers crossed. I'm in class for the next few hours until about 2, so that's the next time I'll be able to check in.
    +1

Let's see if Donnie can pull this off. Cavs ended up getting Jamison instead of Amare which helps us because 1) Amare is still available and 2) Cavs getting Amare would have all but guaranteed him staying in Cleveland.

I don't have a problem offering Hill in order to do it the Knicks absolutely have to get far enough under to be able to offer two max-type deals or this will be all for nothing. I like Hill but this is our shot at landing two major superstars.

Knicks made the Rockets a fair offer offer. Jeffries has will be an expiring contract during the 2010-2011 season and Jordan Hill is going to be a solid role player who can play PF and Center.
    Last edited by VincenzoTestaverde; 02-18-2010 at 10:07 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let's see how today unfolds and see if any of the following occurs:

1) Knicks get T-Mac

2) Dump Jeffries and his contract

3) Draft Choices Knicks give up are somehow protected (Top 5 or Top 10 in the draft)

4) Knicks get Ty Thomas for some sort of deal around Harrington to make up for dealing Jordan Hill

5) Knicks get a PG -Sergio Rodriguez or Luke Ridnour

6) Nate is all but gone - do Knicks get any type of Draft Pick in return?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Let's see how today unfolds and see if any of the following occurs:

1) Knicks get T-Mac

Check

2) Dump Jeffries and his contract

Check

3) Draft Choices Knicks give up are somehow protected (Top 5 or Top 10 in the draft)

Check

4) Knicks get Ty Thomas for some sort of deal around Harrington to make up for dealing Jordan Hill

Nope

5) Knicks get a PG -Sergio Rodriguez or Luke Ridnour

Check - Sergio

6) Nate is all but gone - do Knicks get any type of Draft Pick in return?

Still waiting for trade details
    Props to Donnie, so far

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Props to Donnie, so far

Check
    What is the protected status of the two first rounders ??

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm glad. Jeffries contract needed to go in order to have any hope of luring LeBron/Wade/Bosh to New York. The entire selling point is based on telling them they'd have 2 superstars to build around.

I'd rather not have given up the 2012 pick but whatever, Hill is a JAG and the 2011 pick is only a swap.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx View Post
    What is the protected status of the two first rounders ??
    Top 5 in 2011 and Top 1 in 2012 I think.

WFAN reporting 2011 is lottery protected and 2012 top 5. Who knows.
    Last edited by ozu; 02-18-2010 at 02:02 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ozu View Post
    Top 5 in 2011 and Top 1 in 2012 I think.

WFAN reporting 2011 is lottery protected and 2012 top 5. Who knows.
    Other way around...

Top 1 protected in 2011 and Top 5 protected in 2012

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wonder if T-Mac will be playing Saturday night. I have tickets for the Thunder game.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    This deal has finally made me happy we didnt draft Brandon Jennings... I still dont understand how the NBA works but I do like that the Knicks can actually get two premier FA this summer... Lebron and D-Wade would be amazing in the garden and would make the Knicks instant contenders...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    What's amazing is that the Knicks have gone 14 years since they were under the salary cap. Back then in 1996 they signed Allan Houston and Chris Childs. Money will be better well spent this time.