Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 85

Thread: Knicks Close To Acquiring McGrady

  1. #41
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Fairfield County, CT
    Posts
    6,870
    Quote Originally Posted by lukeygina View Post
    Lebron and D-Wade would be amazing in the garden and would make the Knicks instant contenders...
    Way more likely to be Joe Johnson and Chris Bosh.

  2. #42
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,105
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx View Post
    Way more likely to be Joe Johnson and Chris Bosh.
    Now that would suck for the Knicks.

    You blow up your roster and mortgage the future to get 2 2nd tier FAs and pay them 1st tier money. LOL.

    SOK

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Now that would suck for the Knicks.

    You blow up your roster and mortgage the future to get 2 2nd tier FAs and pay them 1st tier money. LOL.

    SOK
    Don't sleep on Bosh...he is really good...Johnson is good too but is almost 30..

    Just picked up TMAC in my fantasy league..

  4. #44
    I had such a sigh of relief when i left class and learned this deal is going through. This team has been in salary cap HELL for 15 years and now will have a ton of cap room. The signings will still need to be made in the off-season, but it feels great right now.

  5. #45
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,105
    Quote Originally Posted by gqxluvx View Post
    Don't sleep on Bosh...he is really good...Johnson is good too but is almost 30..

    Just picked up TMAC in my fantasy league..
    LeBron + DeWayne = Oh God, Yes!
    LeBron + Bosh = Yes!
    LeBron + Johnson = Yes!
    DeWayne + Bosh = Yes!
    Johnson + Bosh = LOL

    Bosh is really good, but he's not an Alpha Male like LeBron and DeWayne. In other words, he can't be "the man."

    If the Knicks are going to use the best cap space they have ever had and not get an Alpha Male when available that would be a sorry state of affairs.

    This whole quest for capspace is about getting either LeBron or DeWayne. The failure to get either will be a disaster IMO. In other words, the usual for the Knicks.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by gqxluvx View Post
    Don't sleep on Bosh...he is really good...Johnson is good too but is almost 30..

    Just picked up TMAC in my fantasy league..
    Not that it will even be an issue because I think it's a lock that Wade stays in South Beach, but I would actually prefer the Knicks got Johnson than Wade. Wade takes such a beating and is injury prone. There's a high probability that he could spend a large amounts of time on injured, or at least playing injured, during the long deal he would receive. That's no knock on his game, he's obviously better than Johnson and one of the best players in the game, but I prefer the guy whose a much closer to a lock to stay on the court. BTW, my opinion is based on if the Knicks got Lebron and you wouldn't hear me gripe if Wade was signed.
    Last edited by DevsJetsYanks88; 02-18-2010 at 03:44 PM.

  7. #47
    Knicks might finally be far enough under the salary cap now.....congrats on that, I guess.

    Too bad that in order to do so, they've been stuck with minimal talent under contract and no draft picks to supplement them. What exactly is the plan if 2 of LeBron/Wade/Bosh don't want to come to NY exactly? Amare and Joe Johnson? Yeah, good luck selling that one to your fans.

    Nevermind, how exactly do they plan on building a team around 2 of LeBron/Wade/Bosh if they do manage to somehow swindle them into thinking they can win in NY? With what money left? With what draft picks?

    I don't know, I guess I'm still skeptical about this plan.
    Last edited by Ven0m; 02-18-2010 at 03:44 PM.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Knicks might finally be far enough under the salary cap now.....congrats on that, I guess.

    Too bad that in order to do so, they've been stuck with minimal talent under contract and no draft picks to supplement them. What exactly is the plan if 2 of LeBron/Wade/Bosh don't want to come to NY exactly? Amare and Joe Johnson? Yeah, good luck selling that one to your fans.

    Nevermind, how exactly do they plan on building a team around 2 of LeBron/Wade/Bosh if they do manage to somehow swindle them into thinking they can win in NY? With what money left? With what draft picks?

    I don't know, I guess I'm still skeptical about this plan.
    Won't help next year, but Curry's 11 million coming off the books the following off-season will help to bring in some more serviceable depth and role players. Hopefully, Houston's pick that we have the following draft can be used on a serviceable player as well. I do understand and even somewhat agree with your point though, depth will be a glaring weakness.

  9. #49
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,105
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Knicks might finally be far enough under the salary cap now.....congrats on that, I guess.

    Too bad that in order to do so, they've been stuck with minimal talent under contract and no draft picks to supplement them. What exactly is the plan if 2 of LeBron/Wade/Bosh don't want to come to NY exactly? Amare and Joe Johnson? Yeah, good luck selling that one to your fans.

    Nevermind, how exactly do they plan on building a team around 2 of LeBron/Wade/Bosh if they do manage to somehow swindle them into thinking they can win in NY? With what money left? With what draft picks?

    I don't know, I guess I'm still skeptical about this plan.
    I'm very skeptical about this plan as well.

    First, it all hinges on getting either LeBron or Wade. As you mentioned, if they fail to get either than would be a monumental mess.

    Second, they'll at least need a decent 8 man rotation but they don't have the bodies to fill them. They'd have the 2 FAs, Chandler, and Danillo. Lee is not a guarantee because the Knicks have to convince him not sign elsewhere so they can sign the 2 FAs and THEN sign Lee under his Bird Rights (the Knicks can go over the cap to re-sign their own players but only after they are actually over the cap).

    Who else is there? Duhon? The scrubs they got in today's trades?

    Ultimately, the Knicks might not have enough decent bodies to make themselves remotely attractive to LeBron/Wade or truly competitive in the East.

  10. #50
    I'm happy we ended up snagging Sergio Rodriguez in this deal. He's not great, but he's a quick PG whose at least better than Duhon.

  11. #51
    This is it, there going ALL out for the summer. It kind of stinks to give up on Hill so easily. This deal gets them available for 2 max free agents, and id bet you in the offseason they throw a 9m buyout for Curry, who more than likely will never play again for them and Curry will walk saving us another 2 mill.

    They better know what there doing, becaue if they don't they are screwed for a long time, because I don't know when they have a first round pick again.

    The good thing about cap flexability though is that it gives you millions of options.

    All of the superstars in the NBA contracts are expiring in the next 2 years.

  12. #52
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    7,239
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    I'm very skeptical about this plan as well.

    First, it all hinges on getting either LeBron or Wade. As you mentioned, if they fail to get either than would be a monumental mess.

    Second, they'll at least need a decent 8 man rotation but they don't have the bodies to fill them. They'd have the 2 FAs, Chandler, and Danillo. Lee is not a guarantee because the Knicks have to convince him not sign elsewhere so they can sign the 2 FAs and THEN sign Lee under his Bird Rights (the Knicks can go over the cap to re-sign their own players but only after they are actually over the cap).

    Who else is there? Duhon? The scrubs they got in today's trades?

    Ultimately, the Knicks might not have enough decent bodies to make themselves remotely attractive to LeBron/Wade or truly competitive in the East.
    Wade wont consider NY/NJ.

    Hes going to Miami or Chicago

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
    This is it, there going ALL out for the summer. It kind of stinks to give up on Hill so easily. This deal gets them available for 2 max free agents, and id bet you in the offseason they throw a 9m buyout for Curry, who more than likely will never play again for them and Curry will walk saving us another 2 mill.

    They better know what there doing, becaue if they don't they are screwed for a long time, because I don't know when they have a first round pick again.

    The good thing about cap flexability though is that it gives you millions of options.

    All of the superstars in the NBA contracts are expiring in the next 2 years.
    I'm staying optimistic because they finally DO have options. It's been so friggin' long since they've had the flexibility to actually do something via free agency. This is the first time since I remember watching the Knicks like 15 or so years ago that they can actually make a free agency splash.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    I'm staying optimistic because they finally DO have options. It's been so friggin' long since they've had the flexibility to actually do something via free agency. This is the first time since I remember watching the Knicks like 15 or so years ago that they can actually make a free agency splash.
    Definitely agree with you, at least until the off season to see how it goes. It's nice to not be paying the luxury tax every year for a roster with Marbury Curry and more of those bums.

    And McGrady will be fun to watch for the remaining 30 games, at least make it exciting if he plays like his old self.

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    Won't help next year, but Curry's 11 million coming off the books the following off-season will help to bring in some more serviceable depth and role players. Hopefully, Houston's pick that we have the following draft can be used on a serviceable player as well. I do understand and even somewhat agree with your point though, depth will be a glaring weakness.
    You can't sell Lebron or Wade on coming here to win 40 games next year while you build the core around them. LeBron has a championship contender where he is, Wade can win 40 games where he is, ect. You need to sell them a Championship Contender right away in order to pull this off.

    In other words, you can't wait for someones contract to come off the books in 2011, nor can you wait to see what you can get with Houston's pick.

    I would more hope that Curry could be used for an expiring contract trade chip, and possibly find a good mid-level exception to throw into your rotation. In that perfect world, just maybe that could work. Even still, the roster would be absolutely paper thin.

    First, it all hinges on getting either LeBron or Wade. As you mentioned, if they fail to get either than would be a monumental mess.

    Second, they'll at least need a decent 8 man rotation but they don't have the bodies to fill them. They'd have the 2 FAs, Chandler, and Danillo. Lee is not a guarantee because the Knicks have to convince him not sign elsewhere so they can sign the 2 FAs and THEN sign Lee under his Bird Rights (the Knicks can go over the cap to re-sign their own players but only after they are actually over the cap).

    ...

    Ultimately, the Knicks might not have enough decent bodies to make themselves remotely attractive to LeBron/Wade or truly competitive in the East.
    I agree with you, one of them HAS to be LeBron or Wade. You can't sell your fans on this massive rebuilding project, and then settle for Amare and Johnson as the new face of your franchise. You might be able to compete for some 6th seeds in the east like that, but the fans want Championships, not one-and-dones. And Bosh is very good, but I don't think he's on that same level where he could be the Face of a Championship Roster. Bosh is the ideal sidekick for LeBron or Wade though.

    Im not even factoring in Lee because I figure he's a goner. I doubt he much appreciates the way he's been jerked around the last couple years, and I doubt he's going to go out of his way to help the Knicks out all of a sudden.

    I don't think there's any question they don't have the bodies under contract right now. Gallinari and Chandler are nice, but like you said, you need a 8 man rotation at least. I guess they would have to sell them on the dream of "Hey, we can trade Curry and use the mid-level and bring in hopefully 2 more decent players".... and hope that's enough. I don't know.


    It still screams long-shot to me.
    Last edited by Ven0m; 02-18-2010 at 04:14 PM.

  16. #56
    It's not a monumental loss, even if Wade/James don't come to NY. The Knicks Roster and salary cap situation was an absolute disaster even 2 years ago and it's been purged of the mess (finally). It obviously is ideal for Wade and/or Lebron to come to NY, but either way the bad contracts for under-producing players (re: every player ever associated with Isiah Thomas) is gone. That can't be a bad thing, no matter what happens this Summer.

    Journeyman role players making league minimum > Jerome James, Eddy Curry, Jared Jeffries, Larry Hughes, etc. making ridiculous $

  17. #57
    As a poster above mentioned I think Wade will be in Chicago or Miami...

    Gut feeling on Lebron is that he will stay in Cleveland...

    I actually think if the Nets get John Wall they have a better shot to get Lebron than the Knicks...

    But this gives the Knicks options as long as fans are realistic in that you might have to "settle" for Joe Johnson and Amare or Bosh etc..

  18. #58
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Hoboken
    Posts
    3,990
    Do people not realize that 2 years ago this team was mired in the **** that Scott Layden and Zeke buried them under. And in under two years, Walsh has cleared every bad contract except for Curry off the books. And that even with Curry on the books, they can still add 2 superstars in their prime this offseason, and then supplement them with Curry's expiring deal next year? Add Gallo, Chandler, and a developmental Douglas and this team has hope for the first time in 10 years.

    It's really amazing how any actual Knicks fan, who's suffered humiliation and despair for the past decade could possibly be upset over these deals is beyond me.

    Also, Bosh is a not a "settle" and he's not on some 2nd tier with Amar'e and Joe Johnson.
    Last edited by ozu; 02-18-2010 at 05:48 PM.

  19. #59
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    9,157
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Knicks might finally be far enough under the salary cap now.....congrats on that, I guess.

    Too bad that in order to do so, they've been stuck with minimal talent under contract and no draft picks to supplement them. What exactly is the plan if 2 of LeBron/Wade/Bosh don't want to come to NY exactly? Amare and Joe Johnson? Yeah, good luck selling that one to your fans.

    Nevermind, how exactly do they plan on building a team around 2 of LeBron/Wade/Bosh if they do manage to somehow swindle them into thinking they can win in NY? With what money left? With what draft picks?

    I don't know, I guess I'm still skeptical about this plan.
    So what's the alternative to this plan? Continue to do what Isiah Thomas and Scott Layden had been doing for the previous ten miserable years which is trade expiring contracts for washed up players with bad contracts like Stephon Marbury, Steve Francis, Glenn Rice and overpaying for wastes of space like Eddy Curry, Jerome James and Jared Jeffries?

    This isn't baseball. The Knicks can't just buy whoever they want like the Yankees and Mets. This isn't football either where you can cut players and the most they'll affect your cap afterwards is 1 or 2 years if there's any consequence at all.

    Teams have to be bad before they become good again. That's how the NBA is structured. And even if we don't get Lebron I'll be very happy with Amare, Joe Johnson to go along with T-Mac who I think we'll end up resigning to a 1 year deal using the Larry Bird exception. The Knicks won't have any problem selling me or the vast majority of Knicks fans on that.

    As for selling Lebron or Wade on a 40 win season - all you need to be a 50 win team is 1-2 all-starsand a decent supporting cast. Especially in the East where crappy teams like the Bulls and Bobcats make the playoffs. If we sign Amare (who's going to be a FA this summer and already said he wants to play in NY for D'Antoni) we'll get Lebron or Wade.
    Last edited by VincenzoTestaverde; 02-18-2010 at 06:13 PM.

  20. #60
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Groton
    Posts
    2,846
    I'm sure Walsh has talked with the agents of guys like LeBron, Bosh and Wade. I think he can gauge the chances better than any fan. I understand the reason to be skeptic, as this New York team hasn't done anything right for a long time, but I'm pretty sure Walsh is a better evaluator of the players intentions than any one of us.

    And honestly, if they didn't put all their eggs in the basket for the free agency market, what were the alternatives? The only teams winning anything are the ones that (a) put their eggs in the basket of a couple of superstars acquired in one offseason (Boston), (b) a team that has been riding an amazing talent in Tim Duncan for over a decade (San Antonio) (c) A team with an all-world star like Kobe.

    This strategy is either be a championship contender or worst in the league. The alternative is to try and be a decent team and build on draft picks, with the upside of making the playoffs and doing nothing,. I'll take the shot of winning it all any day of the week.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us