Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Knicks Close To Acquiring McGrady

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Right now, the Jets have only 5 players under contract for 2010-11: Danilo, Chandler, Douglas, Rodriguez, and Curry.

No one thinks Curry will do anything, so that's only 4 live bodies for the team. Besides the 2 max FAs, they need to find 5 more players to fill the roster and be under the salary cap to do it.

Only for David Lee can Wash sign him above the cap (Larry Bird rights), and someone else for the mid-level exception, so that leaves 3 under the cap signings. So, that's:

1. Max FA
    2. Max FA
    3. Danillo
    4. Chandler
    5. Douglas
    6. Rodriguez
    7. (Curry)
    8. Lee (re-signed)
    9. Midlevel exception
    10. open
    11. open
    12. open

That's not a very attractive roster. But we'll see.
    No roster in the nba is very attractive once you take off two all-stars. Take Lebron off Cleveland that team might not even make the playoffs. What would the Celtics look like without Garnett, Allen and Pierce? They barely beat a mediocre Bulls team last season in the playoffs without Kevin Garnett.

I just love all these basball fans on this site and radio like Michael Kay who are being critical of the Knicks finally getting under the cap and rebuilding. These guys are used to how baseball is with no cap and the freedom to sign whoever you want as long as you have the money.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    No, because those are terrible moves.

I'm not saying you guys are doing the wrong plan, because frankly, its probably worth the chance, and unloading all that crap on your roster is never a bad thing. Like SMC, I'm just skeptical of it working. I think it's going to be very difficult to pry one superstar to the Knicks, nevermind two.

But the #1 way of team building that has been proven time and time again in any sport, is building the majority of your team through the draft, and I always question how wise it is for bad teams to dish out tons of 1st round picks, especially when the only thing you really accomplished was clear money. Come 6 months from now you won't have a single player to show from this trade.

And don't even bother saying they're protected..... Top 1 protected is a joke.

I don't like trading the picks though, for something that is far from a guarantee.

Hey, if it works out, then great for you, but I could just as easily envision a scenario where it doesn't.....

...and this right here is the scenario where it doesn't work. They won't have any problem selling you on a perennial contender for the 5th-6th seed in the east? That's what they've spent the last 2 years building towards? Well, I guess technically it's better then where you are now, but you're not winning a championship with that core. Not even close. Especially when you add in that you no longer have any ability to draft players because you traded away all your picks to clear salary cap space.

PS: T-Mac is finished.

The point is they're not leaving their current teams if they only see the Knicks as a 40 win team, or even a 50 win team. They need to see a team that they can win Championships with to want to go to the Knicks.

And you said it all when 1-2 all-stars and a decent supporting cast can win 50 games in the East. You don't have a decent supporting cast for 2010. Hell, you don't have a supporting cast at all. You have 2 players in Gallinari and Chandler, and literally nothing else. Even if you get 2 stars, who exactly fills out the roster to make a decent supporting cast? That's the big challange in my eyes.
    The NBA draft is not as deep as the NFL or MLB draft. In most years you'll be lucky to find 10 good role players come out of a draft, 2-3 all-stars, 10 mediocre or below mediocre players and the rest don't even make it in the NBA. It's not like the NFL where you can get a Tom Brady or Terrell Davis in the 6th round. There are very few diamonds in the rough in the NBA draft and even many of the top tier prospects bust like Greg Oden and Michael Olowkandi.

At least in FA if you sign a Lebron or Amare you know what you're getting.

If Lebron James wants a great supporting cast he'll leave Cleveland because he does not have a good one there. Jamison struggled last night and looks old. If the Celtics stay healthy they will beat the Cavs in the playoffs.

Knicks already have solid role players in Lee and Chandler and Gallinari could end up being an all-star. You can find solid supporting players using the mid-level exception after you've signed the big name free agents.

If Lebron, Amare, Bosh, Wade etc. want a great supporting cast they can choose to forgo the $100 million contract and millions more in added endorsement money they can get to come here and take the mid-level exception and go play with the Lakers.

Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    The NBA draft is not as deep as the NFL or MLB draft. In most years you'll be lucky to find 10 good role players come out of a draft, 2-3 all-stars, 10 mediocre or below mediocre players and the rest don't even make it in the NBA. It's not like the NFL where you can get a Tom Brady or Terrell Davis in the 6th round. There are very few diamonds in the rough in the NBA draft and even many of the top tier prospects bust like Greg Oden and Michael Olowkandi.

At least in FA if you sign a Lebron or Amare you know what you're getting.

If Lebron James wants a great supporting cast he'll leave Cleveland because he does not have a good one there. Jamison struggled last night and looks old. If the Celtics stay healthy they will beat the Cavs in the playoffs.

Knicks already have solid role players in Lee and Chandler and Gallinari could end up being an all-star. You can find solid supporting players using the mid-level exception after you've signed the big name free agents.

If Lebron, Amare, Bosh, Wade etc. want a great supporting cast they can choose to forgo the $100 million contract and millions more in added endorsement money they can get to come here and take the mid-level exception and go play with the Lakers.
    If the Knicks can sign say James/Bosh or Wade/Bosh,although I think Wade is going to the Bulls/And the Knicks resign Lee,doesn't that already make the Knicks the best team in the East?

I am much more of a casual NBA fan I barely watch anymore (wake me when the Cavs and Lakers meet up in the finals,so i'm asking the hoops fans If that would make the Knicks the best team going into next year

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by IHATEDOLPHINS View Post
    If the Knicks can sign say James/Bosh or Wade/Bosh,although I think Wade is going to the Bulls/And the Knicks resign Lee,doesn't that already make the Knicks the best team in the East?

I am much more of a casual NBA fan I barely watch anymore (wake me when the Cavs and Lakers meet up in the finals,so i'm asking the hoops fans If that would make the Knicks the best team going into next year
    They can't sign two max guys and Lee because in order to have the cap room to get the free agents, they'd have to have already renounced Lee's Bird rights. They could S&T Lee prior to signing the FAs, but the guys they back in trade would likely hurt the available cap space. I'm pretty sure they just let him walk.

Rodriguez
    McGrady
    Chandler
    James
    Bosh
    Gallinari

That said, this is a very possible and viable rotation that would easily win 55 games and contend for the East with Orlando. I consider Boston pretty much done after this year. They're too old.

Side note... the game on Saturday was a blast to be at and the atmosphere was insane. Too bad they lost.
    Last edited by ozu; 02-22-2010 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    My issue isn't the Knicks plan to get Lebron-Bosh or Wade-Bosh, or Lebron-Wade....

My issue is the lack of a fallback plan.

Say what you want about them, but it would be a disaster if they turned all this cap space into Amare and Joe Johnson. Those guys are nice players, but neither one of them is a headliner on a Championship contender. That's just the reality of the situation. Sure, they'd make the playoffs, maybe even win a series depending on who they draw, but that's not bringing a title to the Garden, and then they'd have their cap tied up, and no draft picks to try and become better then that.

This lack of a fallback plan is further accentuated by them trading so many draft picks in order to get this far under the salary cap. It's not like they have the option of being awful and building a team up through the draft anymore. Sure, it's slow, it's methodical, but it's a time tested approach that always works if you can draft well. And don't tell me how these are protected picks, Top 1 protected is a joke.

The only real option the Knicks have if their plan fails is to stay positioned for 2011 and try again. My guess is they panic and give max contracts to undeserving players though.

----

The only reason we're even discussing the Knicks surrounding core, is because that's one of the reasons that may keep Lebron or Wade or Bosh from wanting to come to NY. They can get a max contract from their current teams, and it's not like LeBron or Wade are hurting in the endorsement department already. What the Knicks need to be able to convince them is to present them with a plan that they believe will help them win Championships sooner rather then later.

But since we're having this talk...

- I highly doubt Lee is looking to do the Knicks any favors at this point. All he's heard about the last 2 years is how the plan is for them to get LeBron and clean house of the existing locker room, including him. The only way I could see him back with the Knicks next year is if he literally is stuck with no other choice. That's my opinion though. Of course, this is all a moot point if it's true that they have to denounce their Bird Rights to even sign 2 Max FA's, in which case he's definitely a goner. I'll admit I don't have the best understanding of the NBA salary cap.
    - You can only keep Sergio Rodriguez if you have enough money under the cap for his qualifying offer + 2 max contracts. That'll depend on where the cap is set.
    - Tracy McGrady seems like he wants to stay, but I'm still skeptical that he can stay healthy and productive post-injury.

As I see it, your 2 best bets for adding to a surrounding core are....

- Marketing Curry as a 10+ million expiring contract, and trading him to a team willing to give up a useful player for that cap space.
    - Mid-Level Exception