Thread: Off to Madrid

Veteran

Off to Madrid

to kick some Atletico ass, hopefully. It should be a fun game, their defence sucks - our defence sucks, they have a great attack - we have a great attack.

Hopefully I'll have some stories to tell when I get back.

Jets Insider VIP
    Have fun mate and stay out of trouble.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    Have fun mate and stay out of trouble.
    Thanks. My wife is coming along this time as well, so it'll be as clean as can be.

Veteran
    I intern with Atlético, see you at the game! How many are you guys bringing???

By the way, our defense is playing better and after our huge win against Barcelona last weekend, we'll be playing with great confidence.

Just for the record, does airport security frown on carry on tiles? Is there a limit?

Have a great time!

Veteran
    Turkish fans singing all through the streets of Madrid. Supposedly there are 1,500 of you running around here.

Veteran
    Turk: Was that you who started the flare after Sergio Asenjo giftwrapped Keita a goal???

Also, what were you guys throwing in the first half at the Atleti supporters???

Veteran
    Just got back last night.

I'm concerned at my reputation around here tiles and flares c'mon guys. I was not directly involved with any tiles being thrown nor any flares...ummm ...flaring .

I do have some stories to share but those'll have to wait a while as the work has piled on, but just to clairfy a point we had no beef with the Atletico supporters. There were 2 small groups amongst them who unfurled PKK banners, that's what set the people off. Why else would a bunch of Turks be chanting "puta espana viva cataluna".

All in all it was fun, we got the result and look forward to finishing them off in Istanbul.

Veteran
    The Atletico supporters were dissappointing and the Spanish police was infuriating but all in all it was a great trip.

We were a lot more than I had expected, we filled our section of the stadium to capacity and there were about 100-200 more in the VIP section. I didn't see or hear of any trouble before or after the match.

We went to the game with a couple of my friends my wife and a girlfriend of one of my buddies. For reasons of security - I couldn't see why but... - they actually herded our supporters in the Plaza Mayor and made tehm walk to the stadium, we (being experienced from sewerbird away games ) decided to not join the mob and took the subway by ourselves. Got off on the right stop but took a wrong turn and ended up with all the Atletico supporters going to the Stadium. Then we came to the police perimeter and an ******* cop directed us out of the main group of supporters and get around the stadium (at least we thought so at the time) we ended up in a unlit small park without any cops directly behind the South stand where the Frente Atletico is. there were about 10 small groups drinking and everytime we passed one the conversation stopped and there were some I imagine abuse in spanish. If the girls had not been with us I'm not sure if we could have gotten out of there without any trouble. Then to our surprise we merged with the main supprters again - this is why I think that ******* cop directed us there to possibly get our ass beaten - and walked around the stadium only to be held up with the main group that had walked from plaza mayor outside the stadium up until the last second. The pre match ceremony had started when we actually got into the stadium.

The stadium was half empty, I thought it was the weather and a hangover effect from the Barça match, only the Frente Atletico was making some noise but they were roughly about 1000 people. The match itself was very forgettable, we didn't play very well but neither did Atletico. Reyes scored a beutiful freekick and we got the equaliser in the last 15 minutes.

As I mentioned there was some trouble with 2 packs of PKK militants in the stands but they got taken away by the police after the police realised they were the ones agitating us and there wasn't any other real trouble.

Thursday night, round two... we'll see what happens but after seeing Atletico in person I'm very confident we'll get the job done.

Genom if you're coming over pm me, I'll try to get you a ticket to our side if you'd like. So that you can experience what real passion for futbol is like.

Veteran
    Unfortunately not able to make it to the vuelta match in Turkey. I was impressed with your supporters' presence though. Usually the away section is 1/4 filled if that. I agree it was a pretty forgetable match, with the weather conditions not helping one bit. The momentum completely changed once De Gea got injured. We'll see what happens in Turkey......

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by genom View Post
    Unfortunately not able to make it to the vuelta match in Turkey. I was impressed with your supporters' presence though. Usually the away section is 1/4 filled if that. I agree it was a pretty forgetable match, with the weather conditions not helping one bit. The momentum completely changed once De Gea got injured. We'll see what happens in Turkey......
    That was actually nothing because Spain is one of the more difficult and expensive away game sfor us. In Germany or Belgium we usually outnumber the home support.

You know your point about Asenjo is funny because almost all of Galatasaray fans think Leo Franco sucks and he giftwrapped Reyes' goal . Goalies are like kickers, everyone thinks the other guy on the other team is better.

To be honest I don't think Asenjo should be blamed for our goal, it was more on the left back. Maybe he could've come out for the ball but it wasn't a sure thing. But I was at the other end of the pitch - I may be wrong.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    That was actually nothing because Spain is one of the more difficult and expensive away game sfor us. In Germany or Belgium we usually outnumber the home support.

You know your point about Asenjo is funny because almost all of Galatasaray fans think Leo Franco sucks and he giftwrapped Reyes' goal . Goalies are like kickers, everyone thinks the other guy on the other team is better.

To be honest I don't think Asenjo should be blamed for our goal, it was more on the left back. Maybe he could've come out for the ball but it wasn't a sure thing. But I was at the other end of the pitch - I may be wrong.
    Asenjo is just shaken confidence wise right now. We bought him for something around 5 million Euro's this summer and he started pretty well. Then, he goes on international duty with the U-21's, and De Gea steps in from the Academy and youth team's and plays absolutely lights out. De Gea hasn't looked back since then, and it's got to be assumed that Asenjo is just rattled right now. Anyway, i'm not sure what our chances are against you guys Thursday. We rested Kun this past weekend, and lost to Almeria who are not that good of a team.

I was really impressed with Keita. He showed some great skill and speed on that right wing. Also enjoyed watching Riijkard and Gio Dos Santos get into a shouting match to end the half. Speaking of which, why was Gio subbed on so quick? Didn't look like the guy coming out picked up an injury or anything, as he took a b line right into the locker room without even a hobble.
    Last edited by genom; 02-23-2010 at 04:17 PM.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by genom View Post
    Asenjo is just shaken confidence wise right now. We bought him for something around 5 million Euro's this summer and he started pretty well. Then, he goes on international duty with the U-21's, and De Gea steps in from the Academy and youth team's and plays absolutely lights out. De Gea hasn't looked back since then, and it's got to be assumed that Asenjo is just rattled right now. Anyway, i'm not sure what our chances are against you guys Thursday. We rested Kun this past weekend, and lost to Almeria who are not that good of a team.

I was really impressed with Keita. He showed some great skill and speed on that right wing. Also enjoyed watching Riijkard and Gio Dos Santos get into a shouting match to end the half. Speaking of which, why was Gio subbed on so quick? Didn't look like the guy coming out picked up an injury or anything, as he took a b line right into the locker room without even a hobble.
    Caner is the kid Gio came on for and there was no injury, he was subbed because he was stinking up the place. He is a very talented young kid who got a little frustrated, he'll be alright. In fact he started for the local derby against Besiktas on the weekend.

Our problem is up front. We have no real strikers, Baros and Kewell are injured, Nonda has been released and Jo can't play in the Euro league because he already played for Everton in the competiton. That's why we've been playing guys out of position or trying to play a version of 4-6-0 Roma under Spaletti used to play. If we get into a funk up front because of this you'll have a chance, however if we score an early goal than it'll be lights out because Arda (no.10), Elano and Keita are just too good on the counter attack. And as far as I saw your defense is on the slow side, esspecially Ujfalusi.

Keita is phenomenal when he's on but he can be infuriating when he's not. He can take over and win a match by himself or he can make us play with 10 men there's just no middle with him.

Veteran
    PAULIE ALL YOUR GUİDO COUNTRYMEN CAN SUCK IT!

The italian referrees robbed us last night plain and simple. This is a photo taken in the 80th minute of the game,

It's happening in the 6 yard box - roughly near the "henry incidents position" and there is noone else but our guy near the position, the player on the ground is not a ****ing goalie and the "6th ref" is standing no more than 2 yards away from the position.

The little prick then proceeded to send off our left winger (the yellow cards were his only two correct decisions in the match but by then he had driven both the crowd and the players mad with his decisions) and we got eliminated by a last minute goal from forlan.

Atletico on the other hand didn't play a bad game. We were better in the first half, kept posession didn't make silly mistakes, but after Elano was injured and taken off we missed him in the middle of the park as we couldn't get our pass traffic going in the second half.
    Last edited by The Turk; 02-26-2010 at 02:26 AM.