Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: wr damian williams, USC

wr damian williams, USC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qqtao6xhyaM

altho it's very possible he goes higher than 29

he got a ton of work already with Sanchez... and is a late 1st/early 2nd type of grade, from a big time school.

this move would make sense on a couple levels...

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qqtao6xhyaM

altho it's very possible he goes higher than 29

he got a ton of work already with Sanchez... and is a late 1st/early 2nd type of grade, from a big time school.

this move would make sense on a couple levels...
    Gosh, havent you heard:

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    We are not going to draft a WR in the first two rounds...it just is not going to happen.
    LOL

Banned
    With Sanchez as our QB, I would LOVE Williams as our first pick of the 1st round if he falls to us. If we trade up, it's all about Joe Haden. If we stay put, and Williams is on the board, I would go crazy (In a good way) If the Jets were to draft Damian Williams.

QB: Sanchez

RB: Shonn Greene
    RB: Leon Washington
    RB: Thomas Jones

FB: Tony Richardson

WR: Braylon Edwards
    WR: Jerricho Cotchery
    WR: Damian Williams
    WR: Brad Smith

TE: Dustin Keller

Behind our Offensive line? Behind our monster rushing attack? Our Offense would be pretty damn explosive.

Yeah, each and every team (Including the Jets) must add solid depth each and every offseason, but it's clear to see...That Mark Sanchez and the Jets are only 1 slot WR away from being an Offensive that can compete against just about any Defense out there.

Damian Williams? Sign me up, I'm all for it. Sanchez-To-Williams...A USC connection that could become elite over the years.

Williams is the other WR I wouldn't mind in the 1st...aside from Dez Bryant. He's a Reggie Wayne clone...

the only early round WR im high on is this guy. As an sc fan he has the goods and is a wayne jr. and hopefully sanchez could look like like 18 throwing it to him in the nfl.

I still think theres a small to decent chance he's around @29

Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Williams is the other WR I wouldn't mind in the 1st...aside from Dez Bryant. He's a Reggie Wayne clone...
    I wouldn't mind it either, but then we would def need to take a corner in round two. If Kyle Wilson was still there, it would be hard to take Willams over Wilson at 29.

All Pro
    Damian Williams is on my list of draftables. I love this guy. Last year when I was against drafting Sanchez. I pointed out that Williams made him look much better. Sanchez threw a lot of wild passes and Williams did some amazing things to catch them. They have chemistry. I would love to have him. If we Draft him, I think that Sanchez will improve even faster. I will state that I think Sanchez still show a lot of the same faults that I saw him have in college. But, I think he did an awesome job in correcting them. I was very impressed that he did and I think he is going to be a good QB.

under normal circumstances i'm not a fan of taking a wr in the first round. that said, the first round is 32 slots long and i think the positional value of taking a wr with a very late first round pick is better than taking one in the top 5. i love damian williams. the problem is that wr is 3rd in terms of need behind cb and de. unless someone drops to the jets at 29 where they have no choice to go with their draft boards and take the guy, i expect tanny to try to deal out of round 1, get an extra 3rd or 4th rounder, then take 2 guys in the 2nd round at 2 of the 3 positions, wr, de and cb. if they wind up taking williams, though, it means that either de or cb will be ignored early on.

Mayocks top 5 WRs

I was very surprised that Mike Mayock from the NFL network did not have Damian Williams in his top 5 WR list. I believe he had Bryant, Benn, Tate, Thomas and Gilyard. Maybe after breaking down tape the guy is just not a first round receiver. I still think CB is too important to ignore isf Sheppard is gone.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

I just assumed he, along with Bryant, would be long gone by the time we pick. Not sure why I had that in my head, but just had that as gospel.

I'm guessing that he isn't expected to run particularly fast - is that the CW as to why he may still be around?

[QUOTE=jetsfaneh;3501703]I was very surprised that Mike Mayock from the NFL network did not have Damian Williams in his top 5 WR list. I believe he had Bryant, Benn, Tate, Thomas and Gilyard. Maybe after breaking down tape the guy is just not a first round receiver. I still think CB is too important to ignore isf Sheppard is gone.[/QUOTE]

Coleman gone too? I hope! Jets need atleast 2 more CB's that are 5'11 and over. I've had enough with the 5'9 and 5'10 CB's on the jets roster.

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    the problem is that wr is 3rd in terms of need behind cb and de. unless someone drops to the jets at 29 where they have no choice to go with their draft boards and take the guy, i expect tanny to try to deal out of round 1, get an extra 3rd or 4th rounder, then take 2 guys in the 2nd round at 2 of the 3 positions, wr, de and cb. if they wind up taking williams, though, it means that either de or cb will be ignored early on.
    My thoughts exactly. Draft CB and DE first then WR later. Who knows with the injury to Demariyus he might drop to a range that Tanny would be comfortable trading to. In any case I think a value WR like Decker could be had after loading on our D needs first. Just my thoughts.

CB is a top priority but I also think DE is just as high on the list. We have a few holes to fill on both sides of the ball but I think the Offense needs time to jell more than they need another WR. We could use a good slot guy but I definitely wouldn't use a first round pick on a slot WR.

yet another reason to take Damian Williams

to screw the Patriots

http://news.wbru.com/2010/04/target-...iots-draftees/

Damian Williams, WR, USC

Damian Williams seems to be a great fit for the Patriots...and they have been pursuing him more heavily than any other player in the draft class. // Image courtesy of trojanempire.wordpress.com.

Who is the most infuriating wide receiver in the NFL to defend? Some may say Randy Moss because of his athletic prowess. Others may point to Steve Smith, Brandon Marshall or Larry Fitzgerald. Teams that do not know the concept of playing a deep safety would probably say Vincent Jackson. However, for my money, itís Colts catchman Reggie Wayne. He is just so consistent. Every single time the ball is thrown his way, he makes a play. Sure, he has one of the best quarterbacks of all time (not THE BEST, one of the best) pitching him the pigskin every play, but he has still shown a propensity to make big plays and be a reliable number one option. He was targeted seventh most in the NFL last year (Manning threw it his way 146 times) and only dropped three balls, which is pretty darn impressive. He also averaged 13 yards per catch and had ten touchdowns. He was, by my wide receiver metric, the fifth best wide receiver in football last year and that was with a former sixth round pick and Austin Collie getting the snaps alongside him. He should be even better this year now that they have garnered some respect.

So, why do I mention Wayne? I do this because Damian Williams is a carbon copy, and the Patriots have been pursuing him like a bloodhound on a scent for months.

Williams would be a perfect fit in the Patriotsí offense. He would serve as a first-down grabbing possession component to Randy Moss and would force safeties to play a little farther up, opening the playbook for deep passes and short screens alike. His presence would assure that, at any given time, Brady would have three solid options to throw the ball to (four once Welker gets back, five if Tate is completely healed.) Williams may be the key to reenergizing the Patriots offense which, at times, looked complacent last season.

The Patriots have been doggedly pursuing Williams. They interviewed him privately at the NFL Combine, attended the USC Pro Day to watch him workout again, brought him in to Foxboro and even made a miscellaneous visit besides all the on-record meetings. They seem to like him, and he fits the Patriots mold; a guy with great hands and route-running ability who can also create a little bit after the catch.

If Williams is around in the early second, I expect the Patriots to jump on him. If he is taken by another team before the Patriots can pounce, I think Mardy Gilyard could be another option at the receiver position. Still, I think Williams is the number one choice in Foxboro, and the whole situation smells like the Butler love from last draft rather than an elaborate smokescreen.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by raysdaone View Post
    Gosh, havent you heard:

... you mock, but it's true. we likely won't take a wr in the first 2 rounds. Unless bryant is there in rnd 1 then we got other more important issues to address IMO

..now Williams? if he was actually around at 61 (not gonna happen) then of course i would grab him.

All League
    Damian Williams is the best ROUTE RUNNER in this class head and shoulders above the other guys. He played in a Pro-Style offense (Heck, he cut his teeth playing with our current QB so comfort level and chemistry is there right off the bat), he has good speed, GREAT hands, and is a perfect fit for the Jets offense to go along with Braylon and Cotch.

He is about 6'1 and right at 200 lbs, has good quickness along with good deep speed, and I think he would really compliment Braylon and Cotcherys game and let Smith concentrate on the Tigercat or whatever it was as well as STs.

Think about this also.....Williams started at Arkansas, where he won honors as Freshman All-SEC. Then he transferred to USC, sat a year, and went on to win First Team ALL PAC-10 honors. This guy got recognized as a darn good WR in both the SEC and Pac-10.

Not a bad resume to go with those skills. I think this guy would be a GREAT fit for the Jets and for Sanchez.

But not a #29. I would do a move up in the second, but not a first rounder for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet_Engine1 View Post
    But not a #29. I would do a move up in the second, but not a first rounder for him.

damian williams might just be worth the pick... they say he was a star at his pro day in drills

if the pats take him 10 slots later... and he burns us in the division for the next decade

what's that worth? more than 10 draft slots or the idea of a "reach"

i'd have no problem with the Jets adding this dude at 29... better than taking the 6th Defensive lineman or the 4th outside linebacker. DWs ready to contribute earlier than every other WR in this class

That kind of player is totally worth a first...especially since he has the added value of fitting like a glove for us...he's our QB's former #1 WR...he was awesome in college...like you mentioned he's the best route runner in the class...he's got awesome hands...he could make our offense pretty deadly when we go 3 wide.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    ... you mock, but it's true. we likely won't take a wr in the first 2 rounds. Unless bryant is there in rnd 1 then we got other more important issues to address IMO

..now Williams? if he was actually around at 61 (not gonna happen) then of course i would grab him.
    I think if Golden Tate is there, were a lock to take him. We are going to go BAP, regardless of what position and to me Tate is a top 20 talent.

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    damian williams might just be worth the pick... they say he was a star at his pro day in drills

if the pats take him 10 slots later... and he burns us in the division for the next decade

what's that worth? more than 10 draft slots or the idea of a "reach"

i'd have no problem with the Jets adding this dude at 29... better than taking the 6th Defensive lineman or the 4th outside linebacker. DWs ready to contribute earlier than every other WR in this class
    The thing is I do not think we will be looking at the 4th best olb or the 6th best d-lineman.

I haven't watched Williams too much but one thing I keep hearing that means nothing at all to me is that Williams already has chemistry with Sanchez. To me that means almost zilch.