Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: wr damian williams, USC

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't watched Williams too much but one thing I keep hearing that means nothing at all to me is that Williams already has chemistry with Sanchez. To me that means almost zilch.
    True, but it mixes well with his route running, hands, and general aptitude for the position.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    at any point, i'd rather have williams over benn. and maybe, williams is a better pro than tate - at least, i think it's debatable.

route running is THE most underrated aspect of evaluating college wrs. it's why there are so many busts early on in the draft for wrs. teams value speed and size over guys who can actually get open. then the 2nd most underrated aspect is hands, ie, the braylon saga. if braylon could catch he'd be TO. yet, no team wants him.

in an average draft class, damien williams at 29 would make much more sense. but he's being pushed into the 2nd round b/c of the depth.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the Jets stay put @ 29, Damian Williams is the player that I'm dreaming about. He could become a huge part of an explosive Offense next season.

It's obvious that Jerricho Cotchery would still be our #2 WR opposite of Braylon Edwards, but if the Jets were to draft Williams, Jerricho Cotchery could then play the slot position with Edwards and Williams both on the outside. That 3 WR set could become very explosive with Keller as our pass catching TE threat. And lets not forget, if Leon stays a Jet, Mark Sanchez and the Jets Passing Attack would then have another two Offensive Weapons in L.T and Leon.

Damian Williams could really complete this Offense. We already have one of the best rushing attacks in all of Football thanks to our Offensive line and Shonn Greene; an X-Factor.

Braylon Edwards, Jerricho Cotchery, Dustin Keller, L.T, Leon Washington, and Damian Williams? Talk about weapons. Thats 6 Offensive Weapons right there.

With Damian Williams a Jet; I would love to see a lot of 4 WR sets with Shonn Greene/L.T in the backfield. Shotty Jr could then line up both Edwards and Williams on the outside with Keller and Cotchery on the inside. On 3rd and 8 types of situations, I wouldn't mind letting Mark Sanchez and the Jets go 5 wide out of shot gun formation with Edwards and Williams on the outside, along with Keller and Cotchery playing the inside with either L.T or Leon as our 5th WR.

Then we have another part of our Offensive attack... Brad Smith. As we all know, he came into his own last year as our Wild-Cat type of Offensive Weapon.

Jerricho Cotchery in the slot? Are you kidding me? Jerricho Cotchery has put up big time numbers against #1 and #2 CB's since the day he became a starter back in 2006; I cant think of a nickel back that could contain Cotchery out of the slot.

Last year there were 3 players that I wanted the Jets to draft during the 1st round: Harvin, Crabtree and Sanchez. Shonn Greene was the player that I was in love with for our 2nd round pick. We got Greene in the 3rd.

This year? For me? It's all about Taylor Mays, Damian Williams and Jerry Hughes during the 1st round. If we trade Leon for a late 2nd; Dexter McCluster is the player that I'm in love with after the 1st round. The more I think about it, the more I want Damian Williams during the 1st.

With Rex Ryan Ryan running the show, our Defense should be #1 and at worst, top 5 next season. Our Offense? We need to upgrade the slot WR position and drafting Williams is one hell of a pick.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    The thing is I do not think we will be looking at the 4th best olb or the 6th best d-lineman.
    just to be clear I was referring to those players likely spot on the NYJ depth chart

lets imagine they get Brandon Graham by some miracle... ok in 2010 he's likely the 4th OLB (Pace, Thomas, Gholston, Graham). if they get Odrick by some miracle... in 2010 he's the 5th or 6th defensive lineman (Jenks, Ellis, Pouha, Devito, Pitoitua (?) Odrick).

Damian Williams would be the 3rd WR day 1. If either guy in front gets hurt he starts. If Braylon leaves in 2011 he starts. He can punt return. He's basically an instant starter and that's why I like the value at 29.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    just to be clear I was referring to those players likely spot on the NYJ depth chart

lets imagine they get Brandon Graham by some miracle... ok in 2010 he's likely the 4th OLB (Pace, Thomas, Gholston, Graham). if they get Odrick by some miracle... in 2010 he's the 5th or 6th defensive lineman (Jenks, Ellis, Pouha, Devito, Pitoitua (?) Odrick).

Damian Williams would be the 3rd WR day 1. If either guy in front gets hurt he starts. If Braylon leaves in 2011 he starts. He can punt return. He's basically an instant starter and that's why I like the value at 29.
    I agree with that line of reasoning for the most part. A WR could really help this offense take the next step and maybe win some of those shootout type games.

Williams is a guy I really like the more I think about it. He's not, and never will be, Andre Johnson or Fitzgerald or Marshall. But as Gato says, he's Reggie Wayne. And that's just fine.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you like him for the Jets better then Golden Tate? I am in the middle about either. I am asking for your input please.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Do you like him for the Jets better then Golden Tate? I am in the middle about either. I am asking for your input please.
    I do. Tate showed brutal hands in the combine gauntlet, like he dropped 6 straight passes. I know that's just one drill but a guy with his height has to catch everything, I dont see that.

Williams has #1 WR potential, im not sure the same can be said about Tate.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do. Tate showed brutal hands in the combine gauntlet, like he dropped 6 straight passes. I know that's just one drill but a guy with his height has to catch everything, I dont see that.

Williams has #1 WR potential, im not sure the same can be said about Tate.
    + 1...I'm really tired of hearing how awesome Tate is when there's clear and obvious problems with him too. He hasn't been a WR that long, his hands are mediocre, he's not a strong route runner...Those are 3 very big deals and Williams destroys him there.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    + 1...I'm really tired of hearing how awesome Tate is when there's clear and obvious problems with him too. He hasn't been a WR that long, his hands are mediocre, he's not a strong route runner...Those are 3 very big deals and Williams destroys him there.
    I'm on board as well. He's becoming my true #1 guy right now. I thinks a 1/2/3 combo of Cotch/Edwards/Williams could be extraordinarily effective and sustainable in that we could still sign Edwards long term, if he had a year that warranted it.

Spending a 1st round pick on a #3 WR isn't necessarily standard, but there's more than one way to build a solid team. If Williams is who we think he is, teams will be hard pressed to stack the line to stop the run. We will be that much more dangerous.

I still have a feeling that Williams will be gone before we pick. Of course, that may depend on if D. Thomas is able to work out, and do so impressively, before the draft.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I'm on board as well. He's becoming my true #1 guy right now. I thinks a 1/2/3 combo of Cotch/Edwards/Williams could be extraordinarily effective and sustainable in that we could still sign Edwards long term, if he had a year that warranted it.

Spending a 1st round pick on a #3 WR isn't necessarily standard, but there's more than one way to build a solid team. If Williams is who we think he is, teams will be hard pressed to stack the line to stop the run. We will be that much more dangerous.

I still have a feeling that Williams will be gone before we pick. Of course, that may depend on if D. Thomas is able to work out, and do so impressively, before the draft.

how many 3rd down passes would williams have to catch for everyone to say "wow, spending a 1st round pick on a #3 wr was actually a good idea." the thing to remember is that one player can change the offense. adding williams opens things up for the other wrs, for keller and for the rbs coming out of the flat. it could mean more single coverage for edwards on the outside. having a reliable 3rd wr means you can create mismatches in the slot. look at how the jets got burned by other teams' #3 wrs. it's b/c when you are extremely talented at one position you can create opportunities. ultimately, even if williams is the "#3 wr" his production may be near equal to the other wrs, and if it leads to more tds....who cares who is #1, #2 and #3, as long as the jets are #1.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

well, it's not just drafting a #3 WR... it's arguably our biggest need, considering the lack of depth and talent behind Cotch and Braylon, and especially when you factor in that Braylon may be gone in a year.

so, to me, taking a WR at #29 makes a lot of sense. what it comes down to is value. with the depth available in this draft, chances are there will be someone available when we pick that we just can't pass up from a value standpoint, even if it means addressing our biggest need in a later round.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    How does Williams compare to the two late first round WR's taken last year (Nicks and Britt) as a prospect?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonard26 View Post
    How does Williams compare to the two late first round WR's taken last year (Nicks and Britt) as a prospect?
    Interesting point. I'd say he's rated (significantly) higher as a prospect than those two, but I'm not competent enough to really judge.

Would be interested to hear what the more knowledgable folks, amateurs and professionals alike, have to say about that.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    With all this love for these just great WRs, QBs, CBs and safeties and their superb value, maybe Suh or McCoy will fall to the Jets at 29.
    After all, can all those other teams pass up all these future superstars and HOFers? They'll snatch up all these guys.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    With all this love for these just great WRs, QBs, CBs and safeties and their superb value, maybe Suh or McCoy will fall to the Jets at 29.
    After all, can all those other teams pass up all these future superstars and HOFers? They'll snatch up all these guys.
    Your air of superiority with no substantive contribution is noted.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonard26 View Post
    Both are bigger, faster, and more physical. Loved Nicks as a prospect, and Britt never failed to impress when I went to see Rutgers.

Williams is more of the silky smooth type...runs his routes, catches his passes, knows how to separate...all those little things that make a guy an effective WR without being 6'2 230. I prefer the physical, YAC types, so I guess I'd lean towards the other two if they were in this draft.

Ideally, I don't think any WR in this class is really a true first round pick besides Bryant. That said, if I had to pick one it'd be Williams because his game is so much more polished than the others and he fits our wants on offense so well...for a slot/3rd WR we'd be looking for a guy who gets separation quickly, runs crisp routes, and shows good hands...that's Williams moreso than any of the other non-Bryant options.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your air of superiority with no substantive contribution is noted.
    I am certainly superior to you.
    Obviously your brilliant education and superb mind (cough) can clearly understand sarcasm.
    My contribution is to point out that you certainly are all over the lot in your analysis and thought process. You seem to have all the attention span and concentration of a kitten. You blow in the breeze. Here's an idea -"Oh yes, let's go with that". "Oh, here's another idea, perhaps we'll change". "How can I change my mind and direction now?"

Lack of direction. Hopefully you don't have any serious responsibility in life. Hate to see you having to make real life decisions.

My point was/is that suddenly there are 5 first round WRs? Really? So who is going to slip Mr. Genius. Now is YOUR chance to show YOUR great intuitive knowledge. Let's hear it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its soo true. I said a while back too.

"Tate?? No way he falls to us, but if he does, grab'em and don't look back"

"I can't Thomas making it us, but man if he did, Superbowl"

"Cody is going top 20, for sure, he'll never make it to us"

etc. etc.

it's laughable. There's like 12 players that are guaranteed to go in the top 25 say, and everyone else is subject to fall if the cards play out a certain way.
    People like Tate will sure as sh*t be there when we pick, and it'll be with great pleasure to watch us pass on him.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Isn't he also a PR/KR? Either way, I'd be happy with him at 29

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am certainly superior to you.
    Obviously your brilliant education and superb mind (cough) can clearly understand sarcasm.
    My contribution is to point out that you certainly are all over the lot in your analysis and thought process. You seem to have all the attention span and concentration of a kitten. You blow in the breeze. Here's an idea -"Oh yes, let's go with that". "Oh, here's another idea, perhaps we'll change". "How can I change my mind and direction now?"

Lack of direction. Hopefully you don't have any serious responsibility in life. Hate to see you having to make real life decisions.

My point was/is that suddenly there are 5 first round WRs? Really? So who is going to slip Mr. Genius. Now is YOUR chance to show YOUR great intuitive knowledge. Let's hear it.
    So who is on your list of acceptable players for the 29th pick?

I've seen you make countless criticisms yet you never offer a suggestion outside of "...take Andre Roberts in the 4th..."

You don't like the idea of a WR, CB, S or RB in the 1st. What do you like?

I guess I'm calling you out to produce a list of actual names instead of just barking at everyone else for what they have to say.