Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 53 of 53

Thread: wr damian williams, USC

  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    how many 3rd down passes would williams have to catch for everyone to say "wow, spending a 1st round pick on a #3 wr was actually a good idea." the thing to remember is that one player can change the offense. adding williams opens things up for the other wrs, for keller and for the rbs coming out of the flat. it could mean more single coverage for edwards on the outside. having a reliable 3rd wr means you can create mismatches in the slot. look at how the jets got burned by other teams' #3 wrs. it's b/c when you are extremely talented at one position you can create opportunities. ultimately, even if williams is the "#3 wr" his production may be near equal to the other wrs, and if it leads to more tds....who cares who is #1, #2 and #3, as long as the jets are #1.

    I would definitely be on board here as well. Williams would be a tremendous addition from day one.

    I'm big on Taylor Mays as well, and the way he could be utilized in the NYJ defense.

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    9,157
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Both are bigger, faster, and more physical. Loved Nicks as a prospect, and Britt never failed to impress when I went to see Rutgers.

    Williams is more of the silky smooth type...runs his routes, catches his passes, knows how to separate...all those little things that make a guy an effective WR without being 6'2 230. I prefer the physical, YAC types, so I guess I'd lean towards the other two if they were in this draft.

    Ideally, I don't think any WR in this class is really a true first round pick besides Bryant. That said, if I had to pick one it'd be Williams because his game is so much more polished than the others and he fits our wants on offense so well...for a slot/3rd WR we'd be looking for a guy who gets separation quickly, runs crisp routes, and shows good hands...that's Williams moreso than any of the other non-Bryant options.
    +1

    None of the wr's in this draft really impress me unlike last year when there was Crabtree, Nicks, Britt etc. Bryant is definitely a talent but with so many teams needing wr's I don't know if he falls to us. Williams will eventually develop into a decent 2nd or 3rd receiver. If that's what Tanny wants that's what Tanny wants. At least we'll have depth at wr after Cotch and Braylon.

  3. #43
    the question is really about value and risk with all of these WR.

    Dez Bryant has tremendous risk but he has great production, and will probably command a high price because of that production. the lower his price the better value he becomes. Possible #1, Possible bust, probably not between. Terrell Owens and Randy Moss are his comparables.

    assuming he's healthy (big assumption for any prospect) Demaryius Thomas lacks the production to be a really high pick and also can't work out right now... so he's "incomplete" you don't really know what you are gonna get with that guy. He could be like Roddy White and be really good but after 3 or 4 years of seasoning.

    Golden Tate is an instant impact guy but probably isn't a "real" WR by NFL standards. He's a WR/RB tweener... that has to play off or in the slot. that formula has worked for guys like Steve Smith, Desean Jackson, Lavernaeus Coles... but those guys weren't first rounders. He has return ability. A good comparison is probably Santonio Holmes, who ended up 25th overall in round 1. Holmes could get off the Jam, im not sure Tate can do the same... but it's something alot of guys struggle with.. He might not be there for the Jets, shaping up to be a pick between 15-30.

    Damian Williams is also an instant impact guy but he is more of a real WR. He has great routes, long arms, big hands and does all the little things required to be a good solid (probably not amazing) NFL receiver. Reggie Wayne is a good comparable as is Rod Smith from the old Broncos teams. He's probably gonna be there at 29, and he's probably considered a reach if they take him there. He won't last past 40 either way so forget about getting him at 61.

    forget about slot for a second and lets imagine the Jets can choose from these 4. Knowing what I know about the guy making the picks, I'd say Tate and Williams are the choices they are looking for at 29... assuming they dont trade up. Tanny is not a big risk taker... he makes big moves but they are calculated gambles... not blind risks.

    Tate is they guy they'd take to replace/backup Leon Washington. Williams is the guy they'd take to replace Braylon Edwards.

    In the end they probably need both types of players and will have to draft another play-maker in future drafts.

  4. #44
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,718
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    I do. Tate showed brutal hands in the combine gauntlet, like he dropped 6 straight passes. I know that's just one drill but a guy with his height has to catch everything, I dont see that.

    Williams has #1 WR potential, im not sure the same can be said about Tate.
    Thank you bit. I appreciate it.

  5. #45
    He was Sanchize's #1 receiver at USC (Caught 58 balls for 869 yds and 9tds from him in 08) and he broke 1000 yds this year. I don't get how he's being projected as an early to mid 2nd. The Jets should pounce on that and give Sanchize something he trusts

  6. #46
    Williams would be a huge reach at 29. There will be so many higher ranked players available with that pick. Personally, I think Williams has a chance to be there at 61. I can't see a scenario where Williams goes in the first. Bryant goes in the 1st, Tate and Thomas are iffy for round 1. I would be very disappointed if we drafted Williams in the 1st round.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    So who is on your list of acceptable players for the 29th pick?

    I've seen you make countless criticisms yet you never offer a suggestion outside of "...take Andre Roberts in the 4th..."

    You don't like the idea of a WR, CB, S or RB in the 1st. What do you like?

    I guess I'm calling you out to produce a list of actual names instead of just barking at everyone else for what they have to say.
    Neither I nor ANYONE else on this board or anywhere can predict with certainty who will be available at 29 or anywhere else except it seems #1 at this point.
    From day 1 I have always pointed to defense as the way to go. Up front defense. And I have given reasons why.
    1. The DEs are old. While Devito is a good backup and has heart he, IMO, is not a starter. Piti is ??? If Odrick is there at 29 he is a solid pick and could be the third guy. And a starter next year.
    2. The OLB situation is still an open book. Pace is fine and Thomas is ok (although lots of people here hate him/them). But Gholston is just a non performer to date and Westerman is a favorite because he's from Rutgers. His credentials so far are minimal.
    The Jets could also go Kindle or Hughes in round 1 depending on developments. They are very similar. (Odrick could be gone or they might prefer the OLB because of their outlook). Either would also be a starter next year assuming they are not another VG.
    3. If the Jets go OLB, I would hope they go Carrington or Houston in round 2.
    4. Either the above DEs or OLBs can wind up being major contributors. A slot WR helps BUT it's a run oriented offense and he'll not see the field as much. Especially with a good pass type TE in Keller. Yes, I like Andre Roberts, Ford and Shipley in that order the fourth. Who knows who will be where. As an example, Todd McShay does not feel more than one QB is worthy in the first (he hates Clausen).
    5. Safety. The Jets have four right now. Having added Pool what's the rush. Are the four bad? The Jets had a great pass d last year.
    6. CB. The tandem of Revis and Cromartie "might" be the best in the NFL. There is Lowery as the nickel. The Jets do need another CB. Either a cut or pick in the fifth.

    The only deviation I have had in my concept from day one has been when the Jets obtained Cromartie, I eliminated CB from one of the first 2 rounds. I originally thought CB was perhaps a round one necessity but the Jets dealt with that.

    You can argue with my thought process but my point is I have not deviated that much based on the "flavor of the day".

    And by the way, I NEVER attack a person unless they attack me first. My post identified no one in particular. Just the direction of the board with this thread.

  8. #48
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    7,078
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Neither I nor ANYONE else on this board or anywhere can predict with certainty who will be available at 29 or anywhere else except it seems #1 at this point.
    From day 1 I have always pointed to defense as the way to go. Up front defense. And I have given reasons why.
    1. The DEs are old. While Devito is a good backup and has heart he, IMO, is not a starter. Piti is ??? If Odrick is there at 29 he is a solid pick and could be the third guy. And a starter next year.
    2. The OLB situation is still an open book. Pace is fine and Thomas is ok (although lots of people here hate him/them). But Gholston is just a non performer to date and Westerman is a favorite because he's from Rutgers. His credentials so far are minimal.
    The Jets could also go Kindle or Hughes in round 1 depending on developments. They are very similar. (Odrick could be gone or they might prefer the OLB because of their outlook). Either would also be a starter next year assuming they are not another VG.
    3. If the Jets go OLB, I would hope they go Carrington or Houston in round 2.
    4. Either the above DEs or OLBs can wind up being major contributors. A slot WR helps BUT it's a run oriented offense and he'll not see the field as much. Especially with a good pass type TE in Keller. Yes, I like Andre Roberts, Ford and Shipley in that order the fourth. Who knows who will be where. As an example, Todd McShay does not feel more than one QB is worthy in the first (he hates Clausen).
    5. Safety. The Jets have four right now. Having added Pool what's the rush. Are the four bad? The Jets had a great pass d last year.
    6. CB. The tandem of Revis and Cromartie "might" be the best in the NFL. There is Lowery as the nickel. The Jets do need another CB. Either a cut or pick in the fifth.

    The only deviation I have had in my concept from day one has been when the Jets obtained Cromartie, I eliminated CB from one of the first 2 rounds. I originally thought CB was perhaps a round one necessity but the Jets dealt with that.

    You can argue with my thought process but my point is I have not deviated that much based on the "flavor of the day".

    And by the way, I NEVER attack a person unless they attack me first. My post identified no one in particular. Just the direction of the board with this thread.
    Thanks for clarifying that.

    I do agree with you that a DE is a big need and should be the 1st round pick, but I'm not a fan of Odrick personally... and he seems to be the only prospect that's widely considered a late 20s prospect as of now. I'm big on Houston and Carrington, but they're 2nd/3rd rounders... just going by our JI mock, Carrington lasted until the mid 3rd. I'd love if the Jets find a way to draft him.

    It comes down to who's the best player on the board at 29 for me. And with the way the prospects seem to stack up, it looks to me like WR and OLB are likely to be the position of value at that point. I, like most others, would prefer a trade down into the late 30/early 40 range and take DL there.

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Thanks for clarifying that.

    I do agree with you that a DE is a big need and should be the 1st round pick, but I'm not a fan of Odrick personally... and he seems to be the only prospect that's widely considered a late 20s prospect as of now. I'm big on Houston and Carrington, but they're 2nd/3rd rounders... just going by our JI mock, Carrington lasted until the mid 3rd. I'd love if the Jets find a way to draft him.

    It comes down to who's the best player on the board at 29 for me. And with the way the prospects seem to stack up, it looks to me like WR and OLB are likely to be the position of value at that point. I, like most others, would prefer a trade down into the late 30/early 40 range and take DL there.
    Don't forget DT value at 29. If Cody is there he has to be in the discussion. On the other hand, if Dez Bryant free falls all the way to 29 how do you not take him? However, I don't see the need to draft a WR in the first 2 rounds. As I wrote in a few threads if Damian Williams is there at the end of round 2, you have to consider him. The Jets don't have any needs, they have wants. Big difference. They should draft the best players available who fits into the system at every selection. There is no need to reach for any position.

  10. #50
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    12,348
    THe more I think about it the more I think the Jets wil go CB

  11. #51
    My pretty official stance on Williams...I like him at 29 because he makes sense for our offense (we want a crisp route runner in the slot), he's pro ready, he can return punts (most have no idea how big of a plus this for this team), and he's generally a safe bet to be a good player. I also suscribe to the Pats philosophy of "feel free to draft whoever you want as long as you buy them" after a team is built...Why it doesn't work for DeMaryius Thomas in this case is because we're looking for someone who can contribute immediately to the cause of 2010, not 2-3 years from now.

    Like all the non-Bryant top guys, he probably grades out as a second rounder and there's the shot he lasts all the way to 61, though I doubt it. There's some holes you'll notice about him...he's not much of a fighter with the ball in his hands for one, and I love me some physical WRs...I've defintiely seen him come up short on getting a first when a better player (someone like Bryant) gets it and probably then some.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 04-07-2010 at 02:47 PM.

  12. #52
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    8,843
    He looks like a good fit for the Jets, but like many others said, 29 may be a bit too high. One big positive I took from this thread is it made me (okay, I wanted to) watch more Sanchez highlights. Man, I am so happy he's our QB!

  13. #53
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    9,157
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanJim View Post
    Don't forget DT value at 29. If Cody is there he has to be in the discussion. On the other hand, if Dez Bryant free falls all the way to 29 how do you not take him? However, I don't see the need to draft a WR in the first 2 rounds. As I wrote in a few threads if Damian Williams is there at the end of round 2, you have to consider him. The Jets don't have any needs, they have wants. Big difference. They should draft the best players available who fits into the system at every selection. There is no need to reach for any position.
    I would be surprised if Bryant fell all the way to 29. Bryant would be considered a reach for the Browns but they desperately need a wr and Holmgren not Man-Boobs is running the show. Broncos can't get rid of Marshall quickly enough so they'll soon have a huge hole at wr and the Dolphins need a big play wr.

    3rd wr/slot receiver is a need for us but not a hugely pressing one. Cotch, Braylon and Keller is a good trio of receivers to have.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us