Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: McGrady to Knicks

McGrady to Knicks

Deal went through

Knicks get: McGrady and Sergio Rodriguez

Rockets get: Kevin Martin, Jordan Hill and Jarred Jeffries

Kings get: Carl Landry, Joey Dorsett and Larry Hughes.

Jets Insider VIP
    Here's the link.

The Rockets, Kings and New York Knicks have agreed to terms that will expand the Houston-Sacramento deal into a three-way trade that lands Tracy McGrady with the Knicks, according to NBA front-office sources.

The Knicks will acquire McGrady and Sergio Rodriguez from Sacramento, sources said.

The Rockets get Kevin Martin and Hilton Armstrong from Sacramento, and Jordan Hill and Jared Jeffries from New York. Houston also will have the right to swap first-round picks with the Knicks in 2011 as well as take on New York's 2012 first-round pick.

A source close to the negotiations told ESPN NBA Insider Chad Ford that the Knicks' pick is top-1 protected in 2011 and top-5 protected in 2012.

Sacramento obtains Houston's Carl Landry and Joey Dorsey and New York's Larry Hughes.

Marc Stein is a senior NBA writer for ESPN.com.

that link say that they "will"

Quote Originally Posted by JFB View Post
    that link say that they "will"
    It's a done deal, don't worry about that. It's just pending physicals now.

yep. found it.

yours truly

Banned
    Walsh is a beast. In less than 2 years he has taken us from cap hell to far enough under the cap to sign two superstar free agents AND we can even resign T-Mac to say a 1 year deal.

DONNIE WALSH - WE SPEAK YOUR NAME.

Excellent pickup for the Knicks

Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    Walsh is a beast. In less than 2 years he has taken us from cap hell to far enough under the cap to sign two superstar free agents AND we can even resign T-Mac to say a 1 year deal.

DONNIE WALSH - WE SPEAK YOUR NAME.
    He's done a fantastic job. Such a breath of fresh air after all those years with Dumb (Layden) and Dumber (Isiah) running the show.

I wouldnt be kissing his feet just yet, if we dont land lebron, Walsh just morgaged the future away...and if he compounds this mistake by sign 2nd and 3rd tier guys like boozer, johnson, gay, anyone not named wade, james, or bosh, to long term max contracts the knicks are gonna be right back to where they were after the Ewing trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattay View Post
    I wouldnt be kissing his feet just yet, if we dont land lebron, Walsh just morgaged the future away...and if he compounds this mistake by sign 2nd and 3rd tier guys like boozer, johnson, gay, anyone not named wade, james, or bosh, to long term max contracts the knicks are gonna be right back to where they were after the Ewing trade.
    100% agree with this. Walsh either gave us the key to be a dynasty by allowing us to get 2 of the big 3 or he just doomed us to another decade of mediocrity. Be afraid in the sense that if we whiff on Bosh, Wade and LBJ, the old man is going to feel so much pressure to get something and may just blow the cap on non big time players as listed in the post above. I didnt like the deal personally b/c I feel LBJ stays in Cleveland and I think Wade goes to the Clippers or Bulls who have way more talent then us

I wouldnt be kissing his feet just yet, if we dont land lebron, Walsh just morgaged the future away...
    True, but you have to admit that it takes these type of deals to get into the big free agent game, and he has to be given credit for at least setting the table. But he does have to deliver the goods, though...one big name will not do it...at least 2 need to land for either one to want to come here and to put a strong product on the floor.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Revis View Post
    100% agree with this. Walsh either gave us the key to be a dynasty by allowing us to get 2 of the big 3 or he just doomed us to another decade of mediocrity. Be afraid in the sense that if we whiff on Bosh, Wade and LBJ, the old man is going to feel so much pressure to get something and may just blow the cap on non big time players as listed in the post above. I didnt like the deal personally b/c I feel LBJ stays in Cleveland and I think Wade goes to the Clippers or Bulls who have way more talent then us
    If Walsh can't get LeBron, Wade, or Bosh, then he should hold fast on the cap space and wait for 2011 when Carmelo and Paul are FAs.

The time has come for D'Antoni to prove himself.

He's got better players that fit his uptempo system and a potential superstar. We know what T-Mac is capable of but I just looked at Eddie House's stats for his '05-'06 season in PHX (under Mike D.) and they're pretty impressive: played in 81 games, .422 FG % and 9.8 ppg. I expect him to play, at the very least, better than Duhon and hit 3s. Du-nothing is shooting .323 behind the arc and should be sent to the d-league. House also has a ring.

I buy into the D'Antoni "Run n' Gun" offense. The Suns would have beat the Spurs in the '07 playoffs but Amar'e and Boris Diaw got lame suspensions for taking a step off the bench. I've seen it work. Now we finally have two better point guards, House and Rodriguez, who can run the system. I look forward to the next crunch time play D'Antoni has to draw up now that he can feed the ball to a go-to guy. No more Jeffries deep 3's or Duhon airballs. T-Mac presence on the court will open up for open shots for guys like Gallo and Chandler.

Hope we crush the Thunder and break Durant's 25 point streak.

Looking at this from a Nets fan perspective, I think that T-Mac just needed a change a scenery, just like when Vince Carter was traded to us.

You didn't have to give up much, cleared cap space, and with any luck McGrady might play might McGrady again and you have another piece of the puzzle.

Quote Originally Posted by dassin View Post
    The time has come for D'Antoni to prove himself.

He's got better players that fit his uptempo system and a potential superstar. We know what T-Mac is capable of but I just looked at Eddie House's stats for his '05-'06 season in PHX (under Mike D.) and they're pretty impressive: played in 81 games, .422 FG % and 9.8 ppg. I expect him to play, at the very least, better than Duhon and hit 3s. Du-nothing is shooting .323 behind the arc and should be sent to the d-league. House also has a ring.

I buy into the D'Antoni "Run n' Gun" offense. The Suns would have beat the Spurs in the '07 playoffs but Amar'e and Boris Diaw got lame suspensions for taking a step off the bench. I've seen it work. Now we finally have two better point guards, House and Rodriguez, who can run the system. I look forward to the next crunch time play D'Antoni has to draw up now that he can feed the ball to a go-to guy. No more Jeffries deep 3's or Duhon airballs. T-Mac presence on the court will open up for open shots for guys like Gallo and Chandler.

Hope we crush the Thunder and break Durant's 25 point streak.
    Can't see that happening. Knicks don't have anyone that can guard him...But I guess the law of averages are with the Knicks....

I don't buy the run and gun offense if you don't play defense and rebound.

Hall Of Fame
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4928424

McGrady hopes to stick with Knicks

GREENBURGH, N.Y. -- Tracy McGrady is going to get a chance to show he is still a top NBA player.

And he wants to stick around if the New York Knicks bring in some bigger stars this summer, even if it means taking less money.

McGrady joined the Knicks on Friday after being acquired in a three-team trade a day earlier. He said he is nearly 100 percent after microfracture knee surgery, vowing that, "This is not the same Tracy from last season, when I was hobbling on one leg."

The seven-time All-Star knows he could just be a short-term rental before the Knicks pursue players such as LeBron James or Dwyane Wade this summer, but said he would take a considerable pay cut from this season's $22.5 million salary to stay in New York if the Knicks got those types of players.

"I've made a lot of money over my career and I could retire right now and I could be fine financially. My kids can be fine when they get older. Money is not an issue for me," McGrady said.

"So if these guys were to bring in a LeBron, a D-Wade, along with a Chris Bosh or a [Amare] Stoudemire, I'd be a damn fool to not want to stay here. So I'm just telling you right now that I will definitely embrace the opportunity to be here. Money is not an issue."

McGrady said the Knicks were his preference once Houston decided to try to trade him, adding he would have sought a buyout if he were sent elsewhere. He finally got his wish Thursday in a three-team deal that included Sacramento, saying he was disappointed this season by a lack of communication from Rockets management.

"I didn't know. I really didn't know," McGrady said. "And that's just the unfortunate situation, that I just like for management to be upfront and honest with me. That's all I ask, honesty. And if we can't sit and have a conversation eye to eye and be honest with me, then all the respect and trust goes out the window."

Though he has played only six games this season after the knee operation a year ago this month, McGrady will be featured by a Knicks team that has only faint playoff hopes. That could start as early as Saturday, when McGrady and fellow newcomer Sergio Rodriguez could debut against Oklahoma City.

And it'll be in Mike D'Antoni's old offense. The Knicks traded away big men Jared Jeffries and Jordan Hill in the deal for McGrady, so they're going to be undersized and have to try to run teams out of the building the way D'Antoni's Suns did.

"We're going back, speed it up again," D'Antoni said. "We're going to have to spread the floor and we're going to have to score."

McGrady once seemed an ideal player for that style, averaging 21.9 points and winning a pair of scoring titles in 13 seasons. But the 30-year-old swingman has played just 41 games the last two seasons, and D'Antoni said they're anxious to see his health.

"Stay tuned," McGrady said. "Only thing I can do is just go out there and play my game and be me."

D'Antoni had Stoudemire in Phoenix, so he's had experience coaching players coming back from microfracture surgery.

"There were no restrictions on Amare and there were days you'd go, 'I don't know if he's quite back' and there were days you'd go, 'Oh man, he's back," D'Antoni said. "So a little up and down, a little roller-coaster."

The Knicks can accept that, because everything they've done has positioned the team for the summer, not this season. Their moves Thursday left them with nearly enough money to offer maximum salary contracts to two top players.

McGrady realizes he's lost his place in that category and now would be happy just to join them when basketball turns around in New York.

"Last couple of years I've been injured, so I recognize that," he said. "And I realize that you've got one of the best players in our league that's going to be a free agent. You've got a couple of them. LeBron, D-Wade, Chris Bosh, Stoudemire, I recognize that. Those guys are on top right now. I'm just a guy that was injured. No sweat, I'll just come out here, do what I've got to do for two months, and then I can put my name back in there.

"Now don't get me wrong, if I come back and I'm healthy and I'm playing well, we're obviously going to do some negotiating. But what I'm saying is if a LeBron comes here or a D-Wade comes here and you're matching them with, pairing them up with Stoudemire or Chris Bosh, I know I'm not going to get the big bucks, but save a little for me."

Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    If Walsh can't get LeBron, Wade, or Bosh, then he should hold fast on the cap space and wait for 2011 when Carmelo and Paul are FAs.
    The knicks will have even more space in 2011 when fat ass curry comes off our cap...oh by the way when is Dwight Howard a free agent?

All League
    oh by the way when is Dwight Howard a free agent?
    2012 if he opts out; 2013 is technically his final year under contract. Same with Chris Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Absolutely agreed, btw.

The Knicks need to turn this cap space into the kind of player who can headline a championship team, not just a sidekick, or a pair of sidekicks.

If it doesn't work out in 2010, then they need to position themselves for 2011 rather then settle for what you can get now. I could see signing one sidekick to a deal as a bit of an appeasing the fan-base move (And also making themselves more appealing to players for 2011), but they need to keep themselves positioned for a headliner even if it takes until 2011 to get him.