Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I would do Rhodes for this cat in a heartbeat...

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=JetsFanInSec230;3506378]Its a little bit scary when you log onto the message board and you see under Jets and NFL Talk: "I would do Rhodes for this..." :eek:[/QUOTE]

More than a little bit scary! I threw up in my mouth a little when I first read that!!!:barf:

[QUOTE=Lazy Bum;3506473][URL="http://jetstemptdestiny.com/"]UNDENIABLE PROOF THAT ANTREL ROLLE IS A BETTER COVER MAN THAN KERRY RHODES.[/URL]

pray tell what AZ forums have you been browsing? i just did a quick google of AZ forums and found threads like this:

[url]http://forums.azcardinals.com/showthread.php?t=48527&page=2[/url]

which seemed to be overall more confused by the Cards' decision to release him than the glee of releasing an underperformer.

Rhodes in 2009 was an average cover safety that had trouble committing to assignments in over the top coverage and ended up getting to plays far too late to make plays most times.

i will admit that I only saw 7 Cardinals games this year on the ticket, but what i did see made me envious of why Rhodes wasn't performing to that level. no, Rolle is not a superstar ballhawk or savage hitter (although he did have 4 picks and 78 tackles) but he's also not afraid to put his body on the line like Rhodes appeared to be at many points during this season, and while he seems to still have a lot to learn at the safety position, he committed to assignments much more decisively.

none of this would be worth arguing if Kerry had any interest in dedicating himself to become great, and allowing himself to be coached. he already thinks he's great, and to me that sounds like he isn't interested in getting better. i'll take Rolle over that any day, because they near equal in my book with potential being the scale tipper. that is an immediate upgrade.

and the argument is probably a moot point regardless, since Rolle wants to play in Miami.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, although it's more moot since Rhodes will be a Jet next season unless they sell their souls for Eric Berry.

But there is zero 'statistical' evidence that Rolle is a better cover safety than Rhodes. It's actually quite the opposite and in a BIG, BIG way.

[QUOTE=Revi$_I$l@nd;3506501]Agreed, although it's more moot since Rhodes will be a Jet next season unless they sell their souls for Eric Berry.

But there is zero 'statistical' evidence that Rolle is a better cover safety than Rhodes. It's actually quite the opposite and in a BIG, BIG way.[/QUOTE]

well, since you seem utterly incapable of delivering a counter-argument past MAKING CRYPTIC REFERENCES TO AMAZING STATS, i will just assume that you are talking about the 5 more passes defensed that Rhodes had than Rolle, and counter that the Cardinals didn't put nearly as much pressure on the quarterback as the Jets did in 2009, so that stat is not as reliable as you may think it is.

i am going by what i saw from the players on the field, and not just some box score stats.
    Last edited by Lazy Bum; 02-23-2010 at 06:12 PM.

even if for the sake of argument

let's grant A Rolle was a better football player than Rhodes

(for the sake of argument, I don't believe this to be true)

... isn't Rolle gonna command multi-millions in contract? A team like the Eagles with a huge hole at free safety would likely out bid the Jets.

[QUOTE=Lazy Bum;3506371]he's a better cover man and that is what we need. maybe not quite as athletically gifted, but his head is in the game like Rhodes' hasn't been for a couple of seasons now. and i bet he would even listen to advice from his position coach, too.[/QUOTE]

Rolle was a top 5 pick based on his athleticism and size so I dont know where your going here. I dont know enough about Rolle to comment intelligent but think inductively. Did Arizona have such an incredible pass defense that we want to cherry pick its talent? Given what we know about t8 team salaries why would they be cutting him? If you were gambling would you trust yourself to make a decision on rhodes given how emotional he makes jet fans?

[QUOTE=CW_McGraw;3506479]Rolle's a poor man's Ed Reed. Frankly, I don't think being the lesser version of the best safety ever is that bad though. If the Dolphins don't jump on Rolle, I'll be pissed.[/QUOTE]

He will be released and he's said he wants to play for the Dolphins.

They're blowing a HUGE opportunity if they don't sign him. He's basically already halfway there.

[QUOTE=bitonti;3506534]even if for the sake of argument

let's grant A Rolle was a better football player than Rhodes

(for the sake of argument, I don't believe this to be true)

... isn't Rolle gonna command multi-millions in contract? A team like the Eagles with a huge hole at free safety would likely out bid the Jets.[/QUOTE]

and........./thread.

Nicely done. There might be some Jets fans who think Rhodes is both overpayed and is nowhere near worth his contract, but he'd probably get the same money if he were a FA when he got his contract. Rolle isn't as good as Rhodes was when he got his contract, but going off his rookie contract and into this uncapped offseason I'm guessing he wants to get good money.

Possibly we pair him with Rhodes. My passive aggressive hate for Leonhard continues...

[QUOTE=Lazy Bum;3506473][URL="http://jetstemptdestiny.com/"]UNDENIABLE PROOF THAT ANTREL ROLLE IS A BETTER COVER MAN THAN KERRY RHODES.[/URL]
    [/QUOTE]

I like your "proof"! :yes:

Now all we need is more of it!