Thread: Panthers not going to franchise tag Peppers!

Panthers not going to franchise tag Peppers!

[QUOTE]Carolina Panthers defensive end Julius Peppers will not be given the franchise tag, a team source said Monday night.

The official announcement is likely to come Tuesday, when the Panthers hold a news conference to address a number of issues.

If the Panthers had opted to tag Peppers, it would have cost them $21.4 million -- about $1.3 million per game -- which the team deemed too pricey. Peppers will be one of the highest-profile free agents since Reggie White.

Teams have until 4 p.m. ET on Thursday to use their franchise tags.[/QUOTE]

If you ask me that's a really stupid move. Losing him for nothing... and of course then we won't be able to get him. :D Just kidding, I don't want him. Too expensive.

I want Pepperssssssssssssssss, sign this beast! :yes:

All League
    [QUOTE=southside;3506016]If you ask me that's a really stupid move. Losing him for nothing... and of course then we won't be able to get him. :D Just kidding, I don't want him. Too expensive.[/QUOTE]

If they franchise him, he would most likely sign it immediately as it would guarantee him close to $20M this season. Since his self-proclaimed "I am not worth what they paid me last year" statement, I find it logical. Carolina made several mistakes dating back to the very first year Peppers was a free agent. Now they will pay the penalty and lose him only to recoup a (most likely) 3rd rounder as compensation (from the NFL - not the signing team).

All League
    No one expected them to tag him and if they did, Peppers would have instantly signed the tender for a ridiculous $21.4m.

Veteran
    Peppers isn't really a 3-4 end, those guys are usually just used to plug the gaps in this kind of defense with your pass rush coming from your outside LB spots. But with a talent like that, I'm sure he can play in any system.

With that being said, with the current labor situation, we probably aren't going to be able to sign any free agents unless we lose some, and we won't be losing anyone who will equal the money Peppers will be commanding.

[QUOTE=VinnieTheLush;3507233]Peppers isn't really a 3-4 end, those guys are usually just used to plug the gaps in this kind of defense with your pass rush coming from your outside LB spots. But with a talent like that, I'm sure he can play in any system.

With that being said, with the current labor situation, we probably aren't going to be able to sign any free agents unless we lose some, and we won't be losing anyone who will equal the money Peppers will be commanding.[/QUOTE]

Peppers is a 285 pound man who can run a 4.68. He's a freak.

There's no doubt he could play 3-4 End if a team were so inclined to use him that way, but it certainty wouldn't be the best use of his skills. He's a natural pass rusher and should be chasing after QB's.

But yeah, even if we wanted to, it's not an option with the final 4 rules.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=VinnieTheLush;3507233]Peppers isn't really a 3-4 end, those guys are usually just used to plug the gaps in this kind of defense with your pass rush coming from your outside LB spots. But with a talent like that, I'm sure he can play in any system.

With that being said, with the current labor situation, we probably aren't going to be able to sign any free agents unless we lose some, and we won't be losing anyone who will equal the money Peppers will be commanding.[/QUOTE]

He doesn't want to play as a 3-4 end. He wants to play in the 3-4 to play OLB. Think DeMarcus Ware