Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corner not as big of a need as everyone thinks

Corner not as big of a need as everyone thinks

At least it's not such a need that we should spend a first round pick on a CB. I think team's drafting a CB in round 1 are looking for that guy to be their top corner, we already have the league's best in Revis, we just need a solid #2 who has some speed and good man-to-man skills and won't get burned playing against the other team's #2 or #3 WR.

In my opinion our biggest needs are upgrading the pass rush and passing game. I think its safe to assume that with or without Thomas Jones, Shonn Greene is going to be the feature back next season, and I think its a little unrealistic to think he'll put up 1,400 yards in his second season while playing every game, thus the running game won't be as productive as last season, so the passing game needs to pick up the slack.

And let me throw this out there as a final thought. Whenever we draft a CB, even if it's in RD 1, that guy won't be as good as Lito Sheppard next season. Why not bring back Lito, let Rex and Tanny try to find a diamond in the rough CB in the mid rounds, and spend the first two picks on a WR and the front 7?

I agree they dont necessarily have to use a first round pick to get a #2 CB.

but lito is due like a ba-zillion dollars in bonus, the Jets are never gonna pay that

after he was benched in the AFC Champ game, i dont think Lito would take any deal from the Jets on the open market. this is an open market where Leigh Bodden is a "good option" - the supply is short the demand is high... He's gone.

considering stricklands injuries, coleman just stinking... the Jets need 2 corners who can play.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

given the contract that revis is going to demand, i can't see the jets using a 1st round pick..even a low 1st rounder, on a CB. I definitely see them looking in the first half of the draft to pick one up, however..

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=bitonti;3506037]I agree they dont necessarily have to use a first round pick to get a #2 CB.

but lito is due like a ba-zillion dollars in bonus, the Jets are never gonna pay that

after he was benched in the AFC Champ game, i dont think Lito would take any deal from the Jets on the open market. this is an open market where Leigh Bodden is a "good option" - the supply is short the demand is high... He's gone.

considering stricklands injuries, coleman just stinking... the Jets need 2 corners who can play.[/QUOTE]

If Lito leaves, we need a corner. You make a good case for him being a goner, but I'm not sure that its 100% written in stone yet. He's obviously not getting the $10m bonus, but there still may be a possibility of him staying. When he was healthy, he was effective. Odds are he's gone, but being that there ain't much out there to replace him with, I'd at least entertain the possibility of him staying.

CB definitely becomes a position of need without Lito.

[QUOTE=shuler82;3506042]given the contract that revis is going to demand, i can't see the jets using a 1st round pick..even a low 1st rounder, on a CB. I definitely see them looking in the first half of the draft to pick one up, however..[/QUOTE]

again I agree with this... revis needing money means the Jets aren't as likely to pick a 1st round corner... and it's such a deep crop there will be plenty of options in round 2 and beyond...

It's a need! What good is having a Revis if you don't have another CB to stop teams throwing away from him. Now, you don't "need" a top flight Revis type CB but you still need someone that can cover, consistently man to man.

Pick #29 doesn't command alot of upfront, guaranteed salary.

In summary, a low 1st or 2nd rounder needs to be used on a CB. And the way things stand today the Jets should really look to pick another CB later on in the draft. A nickel type CB.

Welker, Garcon and Collie and a few others concur. The Jets do not need another CB.

[QUOTE=palmetto defender;3506100]Welker, Garcon and Collie and a few others concur. The Jets do not need another CB.[/QUOTE]

I was told yesterday in the draft forum this is a farse.

It was Peyton Manning's greatness :rolleyes: [SIZE="1"](I used Welker as well. Somehow, it was still Manning's greatness)[/SIZE]

All Pro
    perposterous. CB is easily our biggest need.

Agreed, but only because we overrate the position based on Revis. We're not getting another Revis anytime soon.

What we're looking for is someone who is healthier than Sheppard and/or Strickland so that we have a fully healthy athletic DB. Someone who can play a teams #2 option well...luckily the draft has like 10-12 guys who'd help us out there.

Hell, if Rhodes plays up to his true talent level then our secondary already gets a major boost. I trust them to work that out, because only in fan-world is it a groundbreaking issue.

If we attack our "problems" aggressively then they don't really exist.

What makes you think that you know what everyone thinks?

Veteran
    [B]Draft day:[/B]

take the best available defensive player, whatever that is (even ILB), in the first and second round.

use the late rounds of the draft (5, 6, and 7) for OL & DL depth.

[B]Free agency:[/B]

drop lito shephard and bring in a free agent WR.

[B]On offense:[/B]

keep thomas jones and go with 3 RB's (does anyone trust shonn green making it thru the whole season uninjured), but bring more balance to the playcalling. let sanchez grow and develop more chemistry with keller and edwards. use more screen plays with leon.

i don't think there is much that can be done to improve the personnel in the short term, but i believe the team should be better on both sides of the ball just from experience going into next year.

btw what's the story with donald strickland? is he coming back next year?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3506049]again I agree with this... revis needing money means the Jets [B]aren't as likely to pick a 1st round corner[/B]... and it's such a deep crop there will be plenty of options in round 2 and beyond...[/QUOTE]

I disagree, bit, because the money at 29 is no where close to what Revis will be extended by or even what Revis got at 14.

So, the No. 2 CB could certainly come from the 29th pick and make sense financially.

Unless there's no value to be had, I am certain the Jets will take a CB with their first pick - or at least with one of their top 2

[QUOTE=doggin94it;3506319]Unless there's no value to be had, I am certain the Jets will take a CB with their first pick - or at least with one of their top 2[/QUOTE]
    I think if you had a choice of drafting an elite pass rusher or an elite CB, you go with the pass rusher. The question is, will there be one available at #29?

[QUOTE=SMC;3506283]I disagree, bit, because the money at 29 is no where close to what Revis will be extended by or even what Revis got at 14.

So, the No. 2 CB could certainly come from the 29th pick and make sense financially.[/QUOTE]

this is true... the money angle isn't as strong as the value angle... if there's a good CB there at 29 yes they probably take him, the question is who do you want at 29 and will that player still be there at 61?

for better or worse the combine will answer alot of questions about the value of the 2010 cornerback class... right now there's Joe Haden who is blue chip and everyone else

No matter what we still need a #2 CB. We had no answers for the Colts and everyone not name Revis was getting cooked!

All Pro
    CB is definitely a need, mostly because Lowery isn't good enough to be a #2... so we need to find someone.

I sort of agree with Bit in that we may need two if Lito isn't retained -- and I don't think he will be. But what's the deal with Marquise Cole? Is he under contract in 2010? I think he can be a viable #4.

The good part is that finding someone to fill the #2 role is much easier than trying to find a Revis. There are a number of players in this draft who have #2 written all over them.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Any CB opposite Darrelle Revis is going to get torched, I hope the fans show some patience with a rookie, because that is one tough job to have.

[QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3506579][B]Any CB opposite Darrelle Revis is going to get [/B[B]]torched[/B], I hope the fans show some patience with a rookie, because that is one tough job to have.[/QUOTE]

Thats why you draft two CB's, bc it takes the pressure off of just having one Rookie CB.