Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BREAKING NEWS: Jets sign K Nick Folk to 1 year deal -- Adam Schefter

BREAKING NEWS: Jets sign K Nick Folk to 1 year deal -- Adam Schefter

From his twitter account:

[url]http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter[/url]

[QUOTE][B]Adam_Schefter [/B] Filed to ESPN: With K Jay Feely scheduled to become a free agent, the N.Y. Jets signed former Cowboys K Nick Folk to a one-year contract. [/QUOTE]

Hall Of Fame
    Ugh, he's turrible.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

what the folk!!!!!?!??

hes gonna bomb 58 yarders in madden :confused:

Really hope this move doesn't come back to bite us in the ass.

Obviously they want Feely to sign with someone else to be able to sign a UFA. Though Folk was excellent in his first year, sometimes kickers need changes of scenery, look at Feely when he was cut after he missed those kicks in that Seattle game with the Giants.

Just awful. You would think after this playoff run we would understand how important having a good kicker is.

Undrafted Free Agent
    NO way.
    I classify under ERROR

Folk was a Pro Bowl Kicker in Dallas and was one of the best in the league in 2007 and 2008 before his pretty horrific 2009 season, but every athelte and every kicker has a down year or two in their career. If the Jets cannot reach a long term deal with Feely, this is a very good, safe, move to have Folk in house instead of a rookie.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Feely has been the best kicker the Jets have had in years...

I concur, what the Folk?!

All League
    [QUOTE=IM3;3506213]Really hope this move doesn't come back to bite us in the ass.

Obviously they want Feely to sign with someone else to be able to sign a UFA. Though Folk was excellent in his first year, sometimes kickers need changes of scenery, look at Feely when he was cut after he missed those kicks in that Seattle game with the Giants.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty certain that all things being equal, they would have prefered to keep Feely.

While the "salary cap casualty" has gone into hibernation for 2010, I think there may be a new phenomenon that threatens veterans players like Feely -- the "Final 8 Rules casualty". Mark Feely down as the first victim.

All League
    Not Happy about this signing!:steamin:

Feely has been clutch. I feel this is going to bite us in the @$$ down the road.:mad:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Don't like this one, but can't get too worked up over it. If it works great, if it doesn't, the team will get criticized for it.

But, I'm not going to get too angry about who our kicker is. If the team didn't love Feely enough to keep him, Folk is worth a shot.

he'll definitely improve on kickoffs though. For me, that was a real area of concern. WIth Feely one year older, his kicks were only going to get shorter.

Rookie
    Probably just insurance incase they dont get deal done with Feely. I'm sure Folk contract isn't guaranteed, they can release him once they get deal done with Jay.

No where does it say that they are replacing Jay with Folk. Competition is always a good thing, give the guy a workout, and in the event Jay gets a better deal somewhere you atleast have a guy on the roster with NFL experience. If they were serious they would have signed him to something longer. This is just another one of Tanny's "looking under every rock" type of move and having another kicker with actual experience in training camp.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=jetswin;3506219]Feely has been the best kicker the Jets have had in years...

I concur, what the Folk?![/QUOTE]

I agree we finally get a decent kicker after drafting a bust in the second round and we let him go. I am sure coach Westhoff is not happy

[url]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3494153[/url]

Measuring every kicker from 1999 to 2006 who had at least 10 field goal attempts in each of two consecutive years, the year-to-year correlation coefficient for field goal percentage was an insignificant .05.

FWIW, Feely was 83% last year and 3/5 in the playoffs, he wasn't as automatic as most think. The League average last few years has been around 80%, so it's really not that big of a deal. Kickers are like relief pitchers in baseball, good one year and crap the next.

Taking your kicking game lightly, FG, punter or long snapper can be a fatal mistake.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=Boynton Beach Jets;3506234]I agree we finally get a decent kicker after drafting a bust in the second round and we let him go. I[B] am sure coach Westhoff is not happy[/B][/QUOTE]

I distinctly remember Westhoff criticizing Feely in the Mia game with respect to the second return by Ginn - and I think that holds true on a lot of his kickoffs. If he wants to even approach kicking it into the end zone, he needs to sacrifice hang time and essentially line drive it. That is potentially disasterous with a dangerous returner and a suspect coverage team. There were many times when we went for the short, pop up kickoff presumably because we didn't have faith in Feely's ability to hang one/ kick it deep in the endzone, and the team's ability to cover.

That, in combination with the Indy performance, may have tipped the scales.

Feely's performance in Cincy garnered him a lot of goodwill with fans though. He really saved us with his punting....whether your average PK could do the same, I have no idea.

All League
    I see no reason to pay a kicker some ridiculous sum like Janikowski is getting. If the Jets feel that Feely's market will be in that range, then it's best to get someone to fall back on ASAP.