Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: BREAKING NEWS: Jets sign K Nick Folk to 1 year deal -- Adam Schefter

All Pro
    Kicking is mostly mental. For Folk if he should really take over for Feely, it is a new start and his has talent, we saw that in his first years in Dallas.

[QUOTE=Beerfish;3506241]Taking your kicking game lightly, FG, punter or long snapper can be a fatal mistake.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. And not only that but Feeley was responsible for kicking it to the wrong spot a few times on kickoffs that went for big gainers... atleast that's what I remember Westhoff saying at one point.

Jay's been good, but he's not the best kicker in the league and he's certainly cost us a game or two with bonehead misses. I will say he's also won some too being clutch out there.

I find it really annoying that the Pats keep finding good kickers and we have been struggling for years to find someone worthwhile. Is it the coaching or the scouting? Someone is to blame damnit.

Jets Insider VIP
    seriously everybody needs to relax

they created competition and a plan B if Feely gets a free agent deal too big to compete with

Folk was a good kicker for a number of years and Westhoff will make him a better one if he is needed

Banned
    [QUOTE=sg3;3506247]seriously everybody needs to relax

[B]they created competition and a plan B if Feely gets a free agent deal too big to compete with[/B]

Folk was a good kicker for a number of years and Westhoff will make him a better one if he is needed[/QUOTE]

That's all this really is. Insurance in case we lose Feeley. Not a bad move at all.

All League
    Folk had a bad year coming off surgery to correct torn cartilage in his hip but otherwise played at a Pro Bowl level in 07 and 08. Even if Feely is gone, it's not a bad signing.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=southside;3506233]No where does it say that they are replacing Jay with Folk. Competition is always a good thing, give the guy a workout, and in the event Jay gets a better deal somewhere you atleast have a guy on the roster with NFL experience. If they were serious they would have signed him to something longer. This is just another one of Tanny's "looking under every rock" type of move and having another kicker with actual experience in training camp.[/QUOTE]
    you may have a point there, good post :cool:

[QUOTE=sourceworx;3506253]That's all this really is. Insurance in case we lose Feeley. Not a bad move at all.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Jets sign a player who is acceptable now and continue to talk to Feeley. Cut one of the two contracts later if Feeley signs. Better this than getting caught with a total loser.
    They already did the same for a LS if Dearth checks out.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

I may be wrong, but Feely strikes me as someone who really enjoys being a part of the NY Jets, that has to help his mental approach to his game, which we all agree is huge with kickers. He is a pretty good tackler too.

Nick Folk:

2007: 26-of-31, perfect on PAT -- Pro Bowl as a rookie.
    2008: 20-of-22, perfect on PAT
    2009: Down year of suckitude, 18-of-28.

Everyone has a down year. Folk is a solid K.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=southside;3506233]No where does it say that they are replacing Jay with Folk. Competition is always a good thing, give the guy a workout, and in the event Jay gets a better deal somewhere you atleast have a guy on the roster with NFL experience. If they were serious they would have signed him to something longer. This is just another one of Tanny's "looking under every rock" type of move and having another kicker with actual experience in training camp.[/QUOTE]

I guess that remains to be seen - if this is simply competition, then its certainly a can't-lose proposition. But, I'm guessing that this means Feely is a goner. We'll know pretty soon, I'm sure. The Jets will address the move one way or another.

Jets Insider VIP
    It's Chris Henry and Sean Hannity's fault.

[url]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4938775[/url]

[QUOTE][B]Source: Jets sign Folk for 1 year
    By Adam Schefter
    ESPN[/B]

With Jay Feely scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent, and with the price of some kickers going up, the Jets signed former Dallas Cowboys kicker Nick Folk to a one-year deal, a league source said Tuesday.

Folk had workouts with the Jets and Giants, but opted for the Jets deal.

It now is expected that it will be Folk's kicking job to lose this season and the Jets will allow Feely to test the free-agent market and leave if he finds a sufficient offer.

[I]Adam Schefter is ESPN's NFL Insider.[/I][/QUOTE]

Folk that, we need Feely on this team.

Hopefully this was just a play to make Feely sign.

Feely Made Attempts % long
    fg 33 41 80% 55
    ex pt 39 39

Folk Made Attempts % long
    fg 18 28 64% 51
    ex pt 36 36

[url]http://www.nyjetscap.com/2009finalstats.html[/url]
    [QUOTE]
    The Jets special teams had problems last season in almost every phase of the game. Teams averaged about 7% extra yards on kick returns and 4.6% more yards on punt returns. The kicking game was average. The Jets ranked 15th in kickoff distance, 16th in touchback percentage, and 18th in field goal percentage. The breakdown in the critical categories was that [B]Jay Feely ranked 21st in the NFL in FG % between 30 and 39 yards and 17th between 40 and 49. [/B][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=IM3;3506213]Really hope this move doesn't come back to bite us in the ass.

Obviously they want Feely to sign with someone else to be able to sign a UFA. Though Folk was excellent in his first year, sometimes kickers need changes of scenery, look at Feely when he was cut after he missed those kicks in that Seattle game with the Giants.[/QUOTE]

Like the 2 misses in Indy bit us in the ass?
    Feely was OK but this is not the end of the world

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

That sucks, I liked having Feely back there, he was pretty damn reliable.

[QUOTE=IM3;3506238][url]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3494153[/url]

Measuring every kicker from 1999 to 2006 who had at least 10 field goal attempts in each of two consecutive years, the year-to-year correlation coefficient for field goal percentage was an insignificant .05.

[/QUOTE]

Incredible statistic, if true. I have my doubts.

I would like to see what the yards rushing and yards passing correlations are for comparison. If these are also as low, then the statistic is not very meaningful at all. That is, it would be saying that there is no predictability in yards gained rushing or passing from one season to the next and this is simply not true.

I think this stat is an artifact of some other processes that make predictability appear not to be the case. I think it would have to do with the error variance and I'm not going to bust my brain figuring it out.

I hope we hear more about this though.

All League
    [QUOTE=crasherino;3506265]I guess that remains to be seen - if this is simply competition, then its certainly a can't-lose proposition. But, I'm guessing that this means Feely is a goner. We'll know pretty soon, I'm sure. The Jets will address the move one way or another.[/QUOTE]

yep, I'm with you.

I posted in the Feely thread last week that this might be coming because of the final 8 rules.

the Jets need to create some flexibility for themselves in free agency -- this is a move designed to do that, IMO.

All League
    The only problem with this now that I look at the stats is that Folk is complete garbage when it comes to Avg. Kickoff Distance.

Feely isn't so hot himself, ranking ~18th (of full-time kickers) over the past 3 seasons, but Folk has ranked 20th, 30th, and NA since he didn't kick off in 09, presumably because he's so bad at it.

[url]http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=K&stype=a&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1[/url]
    Last edited by ozu; 02-23-2010 at 02:26 PM.

Like I said in the other thread when this was a possibility.....

A) Folk has shown that he can be a really good kicker in this league. He made the Pro-Bowl in 2007, had an excellent 2008 season. He really only had the one bad year.

B) Feely, while decent, was absolutely nothing special. Feely last year was 19th of 38 Kickers in the league in Field Goal % (And 3 for 5 in the playoffs). That is textbook average, and don't get me started on his kickoffs. Lets just say many of those big returns were partially his fault for not getting enough hang-time on his kicks not allowing us the time to set up our kick coverage teams.

C) Kickers is a position where they all seem to have their ups and downs. It was only a couple years ago when Jay Feely was run out of the Giants for having that awful Seattle Game, and Feely was nothing more then a mid-season Street Free Agent when we signed him 2 years ago. If he can rebound from that, why can't Folk rebound from his 2009 season?

D) Obviously Folk got the Westhoff seal of approval. We did work him out.

E) By letting Feely leave for another team, we will be able to sign a UFA for equal value, and given that Janikowski just raised the bar for kickers salaries, that could be a couple million or so.
    Last edited by Ven0m; 02-23-2010 at 02:29 PM.