Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: BREAKING NEWS: Jets sign K Nick Folk to 1 year deal -- Adam Schefter

This is a good move, so long as Folk stays away from Twitter :cool:

All League
    [URL="http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/10686/feely-still-wants-to-be-a-jet-despite-folk"]Feely still wants to be a Jet despite Folk[/URL]
    [QUOTE]"I'd love to get back there," Feely said from his home in Plantation, Fla. "We have had negotiations and discussions, and they were very pleasant, very positive. They're very pleased with how I kicked over the past couple years and the leadership I showed. [Special teams coordinator] Mike Westhoff and I got along great. It's just a matter of coming to an agreement on a contract."

As for the Folk signing, Feely wasn't offended. Kickers sometimes are signed for offseason purposes and can be cast aside easily.

"They're being prudent," Feely said. [/QUOTE]

Veteran
    I think it's Folking great. From the Jets PR point of view, it would eclipse Feely from using New York as media base to promote his political agenda.

[QUOTE=Gangrene;3506359]I think it's Folking great. From the Jets PR point of view, it would eclipse Feely from using New York as media base to promote his political agenda.[/QUOTE]

Oh noes :(

Veteran
    North Shore of Long Island. East Setauket
    its a good signing the guy just had a down year...we took a chance on feeley after playing terrible for the giants ...i think folk will be solid.

All Pro
    [SIZE="5"]SIGN THE NUGE!!!!!!![/SIZE]

For short money, of course......

[QUOTE=CanadaSteve;3506369][SIZE="5"]SIGN THE NUGE!!!!!!![/SIZE]

For short money, of course......[/QUOTE]

The first great idea out of Canada. Ever. ;)

Feely's misses in AFC Champ game really stuck in my craw.

[QUOTE=gaffneycatch;3506223]I'm pretty certain that all things being equal, they would have prefered to keep Feely.

While the "salary cap casualty" has gone into hibernation for 2010, I think there may be a new phenomenon that threatens veterans players like Feely -- the "Final 8 Rules casualty". Mark Feely down as the first victim.[/QUOTE]

Yep.

[QUOTE=sg3;3506247]seriously everybody needs to relax

they created competition and a plan B if Feely gets a free agent deal too big to compete with

Folk was a good kicker for a number of years and Westhoff will make him a better one if he is needed[/QUOTE]

The Jets won't be resigning Feely no matter the cost.

[QUOTE=bitonti;3506385]Feely's misses in AFC Champ game really stuck in my craw.[/QUOTE]

Somewhat.

But then I thought back to how they wouldn't be there without him and got over it.

He was out there on a ragged special teams unit, singlehandedly saving TD's with his hustle.

Not to mention his sure footed kicks with very few exceptions.

All League
    WTF?

Feely was gold and he can also punt.

Not to mention dude can lay the bricks on people.

****ty move.

[QUOTE=Revi$_I$l@nd;3506392]Somewhat.

But then I thought back to how they wouldn't be there without him and got over it.

He was out there on a ragged special teams unit, singlehandedly saving TD's with his hustle.

Not to mention his sure footed kicks with very few exceptions.[/QUOTE]

Did Feely have a bunch of game winning kicks last year?

[QUOTE=jetster;3506428]Did Feely have a bunch of game winning kicks last year?[/QUOTE]

Do you live in Dallas where Folk was a laughing stock this year?

No?

Okay then.

Next question.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=crasherino;3506242]I distinctly remember Westhoff criticizing Feely in the Mia game with respect to the second return by Ginn - and I think that holds true on a lot of his kickoffs. If he wants to even approach kicking it into the end zone, he needs to sacrifice hang time and essentially line drive it. That is potentially disasterous with a dangerous returner and a suspect coverage team. There were many times when we went for the short, pop up kickoff presumably because we didn't have faith in Feely's ability to hang one/ kick it deep in the endzone, and the team's ability to cover.

That, in combination with the Indy performance, may have tipped the scales.

Feely's performance in Cincy garnered him a lot of goodwill with fans though. He really saved us with his punting....whether your average PK could do the same, I have no idea.[/QUOTE]

I thought his kickoffs were a step above Mike Nugent(not saying thats much) Outside of the Indy game he was the Jets most consistent kicker in years, he might have short comings but you had some confidence in his FG abilities. I was hoping the Jets would upgrade the punting situation, now we might have to worry about both.

All League
    I can only hope this is plan B if Feely wants to break the bank or just to play indoors.

As far as Feely's numbers, look at the number of kicks that Feely attempted. We have argued this point in another thread. He has more attempts from further back in addition to kicking outside. Look at how many kicks he attempted under 30 yards. Not many. Either we go for it on 4th, score a TD, or turn the ball over.

Feely is a beast as a kicker. I am sure that he was one of the priorities this offseason.

I also find it hard to believe that they would allow Feely to walk to sign another vet. What's Feely going to get on the open market? Maybe $1M. Possibly $1.5M. What FA are we going to bring in for that little coin that would have as much of an impact that Feely had last year. Tanny has PROVEN that he is not that stupid.

IMO, two things have happened:

Feely has expressed concern for a long-term deal for high $$ or he has expressed a desire to kick indoors or in good weather to prolong his career;

AND

Westoff likes the Folk scrub and thinks he can make a kicker out of him.

All Pro
    I'm ok with it.

Feeley was probably pushing for too much money after a great year.

Plus the kickoffs weren't good with Jay.

I still prefer Jay to be the kicker. But it's not like he was Vinatieri in the playoffs, he missed.

All Pro
    What dah Folk is goin on here!:eek:

All League
    folk was the most pathetic kicker last year, i saw some of the games, he looked lost out there, his kicking was pathetic, horrible signing...i would take nuge over this pos

All League
    [QUOTE=David Harris;3506446]Plus the kickoffs weren't good with Jay.
    [/QUOTE]Folk is even worse on kickoffs.