Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Story: Asomugha on the block?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3506487]There is no chance of this happening. Ditto for McFadden.[/QUOTE]

Off season Buzz.. Many fools and insanity rules...:yes:

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Paradis;3506502]Why? take away the "cause he's a big name we drafted" angle to it, and i ask why? What about the Raiders right now suggest they're depending on him, or lean on him, or would suffer tremendously from his departure.. Its a business.[/QUOTE]

1. He would be the highest paid player on the team. You can just dismiss contracts, but saying that McFadden deserves his current contract and we should take it on makes little sense.

2. What role would he play? The main purpose of an upgrade is to replace someone with someone who is significantly better. As far as I can tell, McFadden would only play as a 3rd down back type for us. In essence, he would vie for Leon Washington's role, and I don't think Washington needs to be replaced.

3. Most importantly, McFadden hasn't shown any indication that he'll be a good NFL player. McFadden's college success was based almost entirely on him outrunning people, and he hasn't shown the ability to do that so far. This past year, he only averaged 3.4 yards a carry. That's awful. He's shown occasional flashes, but nothing that would suggest he could justify his contract or draft position.

Al davis would gauge out his own eyes before trading Aso to the Jets. He wouldn't trade a player with any value to the NY Jets.

besides the fact that Revis still hasn't gotten paid... Aso wants a new deal i'd imagine.

this doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=njherdfan;3506529]1. He would be the highest paid player on the team. You can just dismiss contracts, but saying that McFadden deserves his current contract and we should take it on makes little sense.

2. What role would he play? The main purpose of an upgrade is to replace someone with someone who is significantly better. As far as I can tell, McFadden would only play as a 3rd down back type for us. In essence, he would vie for Leon Washington's role, and I don't think Washington needs to be replaced.

3. Most importantly, McFadden hasn't shown any indication that he'll be a good NFL player. McFadden's college success was based almost entirely on him outrunning people, and he hasn't shown the ability to do that so far. This past year, he only averaged 3.4 yards a carry. That's awful. He's shown occasional flashes, but nothing that would suggest he could justify his contract or draft position.[/QUOTE]

1-more than Russel?

2- What role? How about murdered out running back for the NYJ? DMC's got the talent to be our 1st down back. IMO. WSH's contract is just about done, TJ's old and Greene has pulled a six game healthy streak at best

3-I refuse to judge anyone except fatso's production on that team.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

On ESPN there is a little blurb under rumors, it says:

[B]Asomugha to Jets could be back on [/B]

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Paradis;3506535]1-more than Russel?

2- What role? How about murdered out running back for the NYJ? DMC's got the talent to be our 1st down back. IMO. WSH's contract is just about done, TJ's old and Greene has pulled a six game healthy streak at best

3-I refuse to judge anyone except fatso's production on that team.[/QUOTE]

He'd be the highest paid player on the Jets. What NFL success has Mcfadden had that would indicate he could be an everydown back?

There's only one thing that Al Davis hates more than common sense, and that is the Jets.

so it would take 4 years worth of Jet first round picks to get Asomugha.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

[QUOTE=Paradis;3506502]Why? take away the "cause he's a big name we drafted" angle to it, and i ask why? What about the Raiders right now suggest they're depending on him, or lean on him, or would suffer tremendously from his departure.. Its a business.[/QUOTE]

McFadden's not available, we have nothing to trade, and we don't need another RB anyways. And as mentioned by bitoni, Al Davis HATES the Jets.

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=Paradis;3506297]Greene, DMC and Washinton would be Epic. and thats the first appropraite use of epic this board has been privy to in a long time.[/QUOTE]
    We already have the #1 Rushing offense. Pass.

All League
    I like Aso but really how much can we upgrade? We already had the #1 passing defense in the league, how much better can we get?

And the ammount of better we get is it going to be worth what we give up?

This just doesn't add up fellas.

I don't think the Jets can afford Nnamdi. If would be great but I think it's a pipe dream.

[QUOTE=AG;3506557]I like Aso but really how much can we upgrade? We already had the #1 passing defense in the league, how much better can we get?

And the ammount of better we get is it going to be worth what we give up?

This just doesn't add up fellas.[/QUOTE]

really? did u watch the AFCG ?? we need 2 CB's Aso is a pipe dream but CB is a priority

granted it would be nice to get a corner to p[lay opposite revis but that would be an awful lot of money tied up in the defensive backfield. at some point the cap will be reinstated and all of these high flying contracts will have to come crashing back down so the jets have to plan for that eventuality.

consider this, if the cap isn't reinstated then the nfl could easily become the nba or nhl with some teams disbanding. look around. the jets are quibbling over a measily 200k to practice at cortland. other teams are in far worse shape.

I don't understand the logic of pursuing guys with mammoth contracts like Aso or even DMC when we will need to lock up our own guys - (Revis, Brick, Mangold) for the long term - very soon. Not to mention the prospect of these expensive guys getting injured, what's next?

Perhaps we can shore up our weaknesses more cost effectively, for instance, as was pointed out earlier - pursuing Bush from the Raiders instead of DMC. Making sensible less, flashy choices in free agency/trades and well thought out selections in the draft.

I think we also need to be mindful of having adequate stock in the pass rush, DL and OL as infrastructure of the team rather than just going all out on dazzling, fancy trades that don't appear necessary and in the wider scheme of things, probably counterproductive as well.

You guys are nutz...You are going to have to pay almost 30 million for two corners..That's not how you build a team.

[QUOTE=bman;3506586]You guys are nutz...You are going to have to pay almost 30 million for two corners..That's not how you build a team.[/QUOTE]

Plus what you would you would have to give up to trade for him...Denver wanted Harris for Marshall...Oak would want Harris, and alot more for Aso...

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3506549]McFadden's not available, we have nothing to trade, [B]and we don't need another RB anyways. [/B]And as mentioned by bitoni, Al Davis HATES the Jets.[/QUOTE]

OK OK, all joking aside. i know the contract issues are a reality, blah blah.

But this statement above Buzz, what planet are you guys living on??

We have 3 RBs right now.

lets review them, the [B][U]NYJ's GROUND AND POUND TEAM[/U][/B]

TJ. gonna be 32. sputtered out. blew up some really, really, REALLY weak defenses at the start of the year. thats about it.

Washington. Alot of promise there, but the dude broke his leg. Brother Mouzone wants to talk about [B]"Madden"[/B] theology?? Its a Madden notion to think Washington will be back full bore for 2010.

Greene. for every beastly quality this guy's shown, he's spent equally that amount of time sucking on the bench being injured. We lost our prized back for what, the 3rd time in a season?? In the AFCCG??

What on earth about that screams reliability for a GROUND AND POUND TEAM going into 2010??

I'm honestly worried.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Paradis;3506594]OK OK, all joking aside. i know the contract issues are a reality, blah blah.

But this statement above Buzz, what planet are you guys living on??

We have 3 RBs right now.

lets review them, the [B][U]NYJ's GROUND AND POUND TEAM[/U][/B]

TJ. gonna be 32. sputtered out. blew up some really, really, REALLY weak defenses at the start of the year. thats about it.

Washington. Alot of promise there, but the dude broke his leg. Brother Mouzone wants to talk about [B]"Madden"[/B] theology?? Its a Madden notion to think Washington will be back full bore for 2010.

Greene. for every beastly quality this guy's shown, he's spent equally that amount of time sucking on the bench being injured. We lost our prized back for what, the 3rd time in a season?? In the AFCCG??

What on earth about that screams reliability for a GROUND AND POUND TEAM going into 2010??

I'm honestly worried.[/QUOTE]

I also think we need a better 3rd RB than Jones, but the reason I'm not worried about Washington is the fact that he had a clean break of his leg. Those kind of injuries follow a set recovery period, and they shouldn't have any kind of lingering impact. If it had been a ligament or tendon, that would have been another story, and that's why I worry about Jenkins.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=njherdfan;3506595]I also think we need a better 3rd RB than Jones, but the reason I'm not worried about Washington is the fact that he had a clean break of his leg. Those kind of injuries follow a set recovery period, and they shouldn't have any kind of lingering impact. If it had been a ligament or tendon, that would have been another story, and that's why I worry about Jenkins.[/QUOTE]

Ya, but its not out of this world to imagine Greene missing another 3-4 games next season. and if washingtons still getting his strength back, we're hooped. As a running team, we can't afford to be hooped. Until proven otherwise, i see all 3 backs as a liability at this point if i'm FO.

All Pro
    and i guess we just worked out some guy named Jonathan Evans... i think tanny & co. know whats up