Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: New Story: Asomugha on the block?

Players I wouldn't trade for Asomugha: Revis, Mangold, D-Brick, Sanchez, Harris, and probably not Jenkins and Scott... otherwise I'm game

Would this do it?

1st rounder, Kerry Rhodes, Vernon Gholston
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 02-25-2010 at 05:32 AM.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Tyler Durden;3507551]Players I wouldn't trade for Asomugha: Revis, Mangold, D-Brick, Sanchez, Harris, and probably not Jenkins and Scott... otherwise I'm game

Would this do it?

1st rounder, Kerry Rhodes, Vernon Gholston[/QUOTE]

Raiders already have a lot of money invested in Michael Huff Trading Asomugha is cap clearing room in which they'll look to rebuild the team not take on high salaries, forget Gholston (they passed on him for Mcfadden), forget Rhodes. They'll ask for a ton of draft picks. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN! Good day.

That 1st rounder the Pats got for Seymour is starting to look like a top 3, maybe even the # 1 pick in the 2011 draft.

[QUOTE=Tyler Durden;3507551]Players I wouldn't trade for Asomugha: Revis, Mangold, D-Brick, Sanchez, Harris, and probably not Jenkins and Scott... otherwise I'm game

Would this do it?

1st rounder, Kerry Rhodes, Vernon Gholston[/QUOTE]

Not even close.

It's not going to happen for two reasons.

1) Jets would have to give up too much (picks and players)

2) As Cimini points out it isn't financially responsible for the Jets. Once Revis receives his extension Aso and Revis salary #s would make up 20%+ of the Jets total salary cap...

Cimini's take:

My own thoughts on the Nnamdi Asoughma rumblings/fantasy talk: Doesn't make sense for the Jets. Forget about his enormous contract and the likelihood that he and Darrelle Revis would account for probably 20-25% of the team's payroll (assuming Revis signs an extension); it wouldn't make sense from a football standpoint.

Sure, a Asoughma-Revis cornerback tandem is titillating, but the Jets already had the No. 1 pass defense. With Revis neutralizing the No. 1 WR, all they need is a corner good enough to handle the No. 2. They can find that guy in the draft.

Plus, the trade would cost a ransome. You know the Raiders would ask for at least two No. 1s or a No. 1 and a top starter. The Jets would be better served using those resources by plugging some of their other holes. But, hey, it makes for great blog fodder, right?
    [LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
    Read more: [URL]http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2010/02/scouting-combine-preview.html#ixzz0gYrx6cNg[/URL]
    [/COLOR][/LEFT]

All Pro
    ^ throw that crap out the window. When you haven't won a championship for 40 effing years, it's time to think outside the box.
    And i'm not buying this "the jets just need a decent corner to cover a #2 WR". That kind of thinking is beyond linear. Its a passing game now, athletes are getting bigger and faster. Sure we might beat up on the CLEs, KCs, etc. but we'll always be victimized by the Mannings and Bradys without a stout secondary.

Having Aso does more than secure our secondary, it frees up our defense run some wild pressure schemes. Think about it..

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=MACPAC;3507570]That 1st rounder the Pats got for Seymour is starting to look like a top 3, maybe even the # 1 pick in the 2011 draft.[/QUOTE]

Yep. And the Pats will have to pay about $40 million guaranteed to that pick in a lockout year.

[QUOTE=Paradis;3507682]^ throw that crap out the window. When you haven't won a championship for 40 effing years, it's time to think outside the box.
    And i'm not buying this "the jets just need a decent corner to cover a #2 WR". That kind of thinking is beyond linear. Its a passing game now, athletes are getting bigger and faster. Sure we might beat up on the CLEs, KCs, etc. but we'll always be victimized by the Mannings and Bradys without a stout secondary.

Having Aso does more than secure our secondary, it frees up our defense run some wild pressure schemes. Think about it..[/QUOTE]

Exactly what I'm thinking. The number 1 pass defense really worked magic against Peyton Manning... :rolleyes: Like I said, if this year is uncapped and the price isn't out of this world then the Jets have a really good chance to do something amazing here. Worry about all the other crap in 2011 when you can then trade him and basically recoup everything you lost. And who's to say that both Nnamdi and Darrelle wouldn't take pay cuts to make this work? If they both took 70% of what they would be getting paid then you end up with two of the best CBs in the league making great money and just totally dominating the passing game.

Remember, we did lose to the Colts because we couldn't stop their passing attack. I'm not saying we should do this move at all costs, but I am saying that I'd do this move if the price was right. Who cares about the cap when there IS NO CAP next season!

Schluberator & Gadfly
    [QUOTE=C Mart;3507677]Not even close.

It's not going to happen for two reasons.

1) Jets would have to give up too much (picks and players)

2) As Cimini points out it isn't financially responsible for the Jets. Once Revis receives his extension Aso and Revis salary #s would make up 20%+ of the Jets total salary cap...

Cimini's take:

My own thoughts on the Nnamdi Asoughma rumblings/fantasy talk: Doesn't make sense for the Jets. Forget about his enormous contract and the likelihood that he and Darrelle Revis would account for probably 20-25% of the team's payroll (assuming Revis signs an extension); it wouldn't make sense from a football standpoint.

Sure, a Asoughma-Revis cornerback tandem is titillating, but the Jets already had the No. 1 pass defense. With Revis neutralizing the No. 1 WR, all they need is a corner good enough to handle the No. 2. They can find that guy in the draft.

Plus, the trade would cost a ransome. You know the Raiders would ask for at least two No. 1s or a No. 1 and a top starter. The Jets would be better served using those resources by plugging some of their other holes. But, hey, it makes for great blog fodder, right?
    [LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
    Read more: [URL]http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2010/02/scouting-combine-preview.html#ixzz0gYrx6cNg[/URL]
    [/COLOR][/LEFT][/QUOTE]

PLUS Adam Shefter also said that this next year Asoughma's contract states that A) he can't be franchised and B) his offer must be the average of the Top 5 QUARTERBACKS! That's crazy!!!!

[QUOTE=chesapeakejet;3507713]PLUS Adam Shefter also said that this next year Asoughma's contract states that A) he can't be franchised and B) his offer must be the average of the Top 5 QUARTERBACKS! That's crazy!!!![/QUOTE]

Al Davis is such a dumbass. Why did the NFL approve that contract? That's not good for the sport at all. They should remove him from player personnel decisions.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Paradis;3507682]^ throw that crap out the window. When you haven't won a championship for 40 effing years, it's time to think outside the box.

Having Aso does more than secure our secondary, it frees up our defense run some wild pressure schemes. Think about it..[/QUOTE]

amen brotha...it's really not that difficult as some would make it out to be. if there's interest and if there's appropriate value that's all it takes..it's not rocket science..let's see how it plays out before we don't even try lol

i agree with the financial aspect arguements here...

Unless Nmandi is willing to go from 16 mil next year to about 7, this can't get done. he just makes way too much money. I know the guy wants to win and get off the Raiders but imagine somebody trying to convince you to give up 9 million dollars...