Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mosi Tatupu RIP.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Mosi Tatupu RIP.

I remember this guy being a standout specials players for the Pats.

[B]Former NFL player Mosi Tatupu, the father of Seahawks linebacker Lofa Tatupu, has died.[/B]

Mosi Tatupu was only 54.

Per the [I]Honolulu Star Bulletin[/I], the cause of death is [URL="http://www.starbulletin.com/news/bulletin/Mosi_Tatupu_dead_at_54.html"]currently not known[/URL]. Tatupu reportedly had been suffering from high blood pressure and other health issues.

A native of Hawaii, Mosi Tatupu's 3,367 career rushing yards stood as a high-school record in the island state for 17 years. Tatupu played for the Patriots from 1978 through 1990, and he retired in 1991 after spending five games with the Rams.

Primarily a special-teams player at the NFL level, Tatupu rushed for 2,415 yards and 18 touchdowns. In 1983, he reached a career high of 578 yards.

Tatupu coached football after his retirement. At the time of his passing, he was the running backs coach at Curry College in Milton, Massachusetts.

[IMG]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/assets_c/2010/02/100-MosiTatupu-thumb-250x348-6153.jpg[/IMG]

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/[/URL]

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    :rip:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswin;3506790]I remember this guy being a standout specials players for the Pats.

[B]Former NFL player Mosi Tatupu, the father of Seahawks linebacker Lofa Tatupu, has died.[/B]

Mosi Tatupu was only 54.

Per the [I]Honolulu Star Bulletin[/I], the cause of death is [URL="http://www.starbulletin.com/news/bulletin/Mosi_Tatupu_dead_at_54.html"]currently not known[/URL]. Tatupu reportedly had been suffering from high blood pressure and other health issues.

A native of Hawaii, Mosi Tatupu's 3,367 career rushing yards stood as a high-school record in the island state for 17 years. Tatupu played for the Patriots from 1978 through 1990, and he retired in 1991 after spending five games with the Rams.

Primarily a special-teams player at the NFL level, Tatupu rushed for 2,415 yards and 18 touchdowns. In 1983, he reached a career high of 578 yards.

Tatupu coached football after his retirement. At the time of his passing, he was the running backs coach at Curry College in Milton, Massachusetts.

[IMG]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/assets_c/2010/02/100-MosiTatupu-thumb-250x348-6153.jpg[/IMG]

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/[/URL][/QUOTE]

barely remember him but what I do remember was very positive.

RIP-God speed.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    RIP, such a young guy

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Classy posts guys. Mosi was an all-heart kind of player. Far too young to pass at 54. Thoughts go out to his family.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    RIP Mosi

prayers are with your family

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    One of my best friends, who is a Patriots fan, his brothers all time favorite Patriot was Mosi.

RIP.

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm 52! :eek:

:rip:

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=chesapeakejet;3507004]I'm 52! :eek:

:rip:[/QUOTE]

...enjoy your next 2 years then....;)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswin;3506790]I remember this guy being a standout specials players for the Pats.

Mosi Tatupu was only 54.

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/[/URL][/QUOTE]

Thats Terrible!!! I remember watching him in the 80's vs the Jets. RIP.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    wow! BUMMER! I remember that dude when he played with the patriots. always run hard. RIP Mr. Tatupu.

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Vinny Patrollie;3506856]Classy posts guys. Mosi was an all-heart kind of player. Far too young to pass at 54. Thoughts go out to his family.[/QUOTE]Love the Mosi man, RIP. Did he play at same time as Stephens (pats rb)? The guy that Jeff Fuller ended his career trying to tackle? Ray Berry had some good players.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    how sad. i remember watching him play while i was a kid back in the 80s. that's too bad. at least he got to see him son make it to the nfl.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;3507269]Love the Mosi man, RIP. Did he play at same time as Stephens (pats rb)? The guy that Jeff Fuller ended his career trying to tackle? Ray Berry had some good players.[/QUOTE]

Stephens was Berry's first round pick in '88 and he stayed for three years. His and Mosi's last season with the Pats was '90. Stephens came out of nowhere in '88 and had a monster season. He never regained that magic for the rest of his career and he died young, 43 I think, in a car accident.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mosi was my neighbor in the early 80's. Lived in Attleboro. Monster of a guy but friendly. RIP big guy.

Stanley Morgan was my next door neighbor in Plainville in the 70's. Very shy but his wife was outgoing and nice. They had a young daughter if I recall. Had them over for dinner to welcome them to the neighborhood. He was just out of college. Wonder if he'll come out of retirement and catch a few this season. ;)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    RIP

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    RIP

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=chesapeakejet;3507004]I'm 52! :eek:

:rip:[/QUOTE]

I'm 53, w/high blood pressure and diabetes! :eek: :eek:
    But I don't coach running backs so I'm safe I guess.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    RIP...

Very solid NFL player in his time. Was the only one able to move the ball in that infamous Pat-Dolphin's Snowplow game in 1982 when that ex-con cleared the snow for the game's only score in the Pats 3-0 win in Foxboro.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    My first game I ever went to as a kid I sat with Mosi’s Mooses. I had no idea who he was, or why everyone around me would cheer the second he came into the game, but all the fans around me told me about him.

That was the same year the Pats made the SB. And even as a kid I remember him causing the fumble vs the Raiders and again vs the Dolphins on ST. He became one of my favorite all time Patriots.

RIP