Thread: Pats/Dolphins fans: what do you want your off-season to look like?

Veteran

Pats/Dolphins fans: what do you want your off-season to look like?

I wanted to get some actual football talk going here, instead of the pissing match that has developed in the Wilfork thread. So, here are a few questions Pats fans.

1. What direction do you want your team to go in the draft? If it's RB, do you want them to try to move up to grab Spiller (likely top 15) or stay put and go after Dwyer/Gerhardt? Or do you want them to go after a WR like Mike Williams from Syracuse who they could groom to replace Moss after next season.

2. A lot of rumors have indicated that there is a mutual interest between Peppers and the Pats. If that's the case, would you feel comfortable giving him a long-term, big-money deal, knowing his questionable commitment in the past? If the team decides not to go after Peppers, do you think upgrading the pass rush is still a need?

3. What other FAs would you like to see the team pursue?

4. What player do you think needs to be upgraded the most amongst all the starters? I tend to think Matt Light needs to be replaced by Vollmer, but I'm curious to see what you all think.

5. Any other thoughts on the team's offseason needs or direction?

First and foremost, the Dolphins need to get Antrel Rolle and Karlos Dansby. FS and ILB are positions of dire need and there are two very good players available that want to come play for us. We can't let these two slip through our fingers like we did with Drew Brees. Simply by virtue of having Mike Nolan as our defensive coordinator, I expect our defense to improve, but by getting some legitimate Pro Bowl talent for him to work with, we could really become a nasty defense.

By getting both of these players, our options on draft day are limitless. All offseason, I've been against the idea of drafting an offensive player with our first round pick. Our defense was terrible last year and our offense was actually pretty average despite the loss of both our QB and RB. If we get Rolle and Dansby, we will have filled two of our biggest holes on defense. We still need a NT of the future and an OLB, but if a top five talent like Dez Bryant were on the board, I'd be open to drafting him. Hell, even CJ Spiller wouldn't be that bad of a pick. Trading down for more picks wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=CW_McGraw;3506973]First and foremost, the Dolphins need to get Antrel Rolle and Karlos Dansby. FS and ILB are positions of dire need and there are two very good players available that want to come play for us. We can't let these two slip through our fingers like we did with Drew Brees. Simply by virtue of having Mike Nolan as our defensive coordinator, I expect our defense to improve, but by getting some legitimate Pro Bowl talent for him to work with, we could really become a nasty defense.

By getting both of these players, our options on draft day are limitless. All offseason, I've been against the idea of drafting an offensive player with our first round pick. Our defense was terrible last year and our offense was actually pretty average despite the loss of both our QB and RB. If we get Rolle and Dansby, we will have filled two of our biggest holes on defense. We still need a NT of the future and an OLB, but if a top five talent like Dez Bryant were on the board, I'd be open to drafting him. Hell, even CJ Spiller wouldn't be that bad of a pick. Trading down for more picks wouldn't be a bad idea either.[/QUOTE]

not sure I can agree with you on the Nolan part. He was defensive coordinator of the Jets and during his tenure, he took a relatively aggressive defensive scheme that was pretty effective and installed a passive read and react system that made things much worse.

Maybe he won't do the same to the Phins, but I wouldn't assume he is going to make things better

i totally agree that the phins have to get some legit free agents to give them flexibility on draft day. rolle and dansby are no brainers. here's the issue...

they're going to be highly sought after and the dolphins are way to reluctant to shell out dollars when involved in a bidding war.

they need some pro-bowl level talent but will they actually grow balls and go out and get the guys? if they do, i can see the phins pushing into the playoffs. if not, get ready for another year of mediocrity as they await their young players to mature...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=sg3;3506978]not sure I can agree with you on the Nolan part. He was defensive coordinator of the Jets and during his tenure, he took a relatively aggressive defensive scheme that was pretty effective and installed a passive read and react system that made things much worse.

Maybe he won't do the same to the Phins, but I wouldn't assume he is going to make things better[/QUOTE]

sg3, is it ok for us to post in this thread?

i see the doltphins as being the greater of the two teams. sure the patsies still have brady but they have been taking hits with there agin oline, porous secondary, aging backfiled and receivers. not to mention that welker may just never be the same. on the other hand, the doltfins do play 60 minutes per game. they don't slack off and what they lack in talent they make up just by playing hard. henne is a very good qb. ronnie brown is a bit of a jag and there defense doesn't have any name players. yet they play competively and i don't see sparano and the tuna letting these guys get away with anything.

as for the jets, there aren't any teams where they can just show up and win the game. the jets need to maintain their attitude the whole season. they do that and they won't let the trolls have any doubt about whose finishing first in the afce or backing into the playoffs. they have the talent right now in the division and they need to put it on the field.