Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newsday: And with the 29th pick the Jets select...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Newsday: And with the 29th pick the Jets select...

[QUOTE]11:33 AM By Bob Glauber

There will be plenty of debate about which players go to which teams in the upcoming NFL draft. But one thing is a virtual lock, according to draft analyst and former NFL scout Daniel Jeremiah: the Jets will take a cornerback.

Not only is it a position of need with the Jets expected to release cornerback Lito Sheppard, but there is a good supply of top corners in the draft. And then there is Rex Ryan's fascination with corners, which Jeremiah knows all too well. The former Ravens scout saw firsthand how Ryan loved cornerbacks when the two worked together in Baltimore.

[B]"Having been with Rex and Mike Pettine (the Jets' defensive coordinator) for four years, every year on the draft board, they'd try to push corners higher," said Jeremiah, who runs the website Movethesticks.com and provides regular podcasts analyzing the draft. "They're obsessed with corners. If we had two on the board, they'd say they need three."[/B]

[B]Jeremiah believes it's imperative they get a corner to play opposite All Pro Darrelle Revis.

"You have the best in the league on one side in Revis, so he wants to get someone to play on the other side," Jeremiah said.[/B]

Some possibilities at No. 29:

Forget about Florida's Joe Haden, who likely will be a top 10 pick. But guys like Patrick Robinson of Florida State, Devin McCourty of Rutgers, Kyle Wilson of Boise State and Dominique Franks of Oklahoma should be within range when the Jets are picking.[/QUOTE][url]http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/glauber-s-nfl-hot-reads-1.811959/and-with-the-29th-pick-the-jets-select-1.1778299?p=[/url]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    No complaints here. Donovan Warren would be my ideal pick at 29, then take OLB or DL with the 2nd pick.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    this sounds about right... if i had to bet my rent payment on any position it would be cornerback

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, yeah. The whole scheme is predicated on pressure. All those intricate blitz packages go to kaput without cornerbacks who can cover.

Ryan can scheme pressure but he needs legit players to cover.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed Ham. I hope they do not over draft a CB if one of the really good D-lineman are there for the taking.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3507079]I'm fine with taking a corner if a really good one slides to the bottom of round one, which can happen if there's a run on D&O linemen where this class is apparently stacked.

But if the top corners are taken and one of those stud DL's or 34OLB's slide to the Jets instead, I would hate to pick some mediocre CB like Robinson or McCourty and leave a stud DL like Dan Williams or Brandon Graham on the board.

In that case I hope we take the DL or OLB and take a next level CB in RD 2

IOW's don't reach for a CB if there's [B]better value[/B] to be had on the D-line or Rush OLB

This column made it sould like Rex & Pettine are predisposed towards [B]"over-rating"[/B] the corners and that scares me, especially when there is great value in this draft on the defensive front seven and on the D-line in particular

But again, if a CB like Kyle Wilson slides to the Jets in round one, I have no problem with that pick.[/QUOTE]

Good thing Mr. T runs the draft, not Rex and Pettine. I trust everything Mr. T does.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=raysdaone;3507087]Good thing Mr. T runs the draft, not Rex and Pettine. I trust everything Mr. T does.[/QUOTE]

From 2005 - 2008, the Ravens (read: Rex) drafted 5 defensive backs; three of which were safties (Haruki Nakamura, Dawan Landry, Tom Zbikowski and two CBs (Derrick Martin and David Pittman)...none of those DBs were drafted in the first two rounds.

So, let's not jump to conclusions that Ryan/Pettine are blinded by CBs. Nonetheless, if Kyle Wilson is on the board -- he's a Jet.

[B][U]IN REX I TRUST [/U][/B]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    CB is such a hard transition from college to pro, that I'm not sure the best move is scratching in a rookie CB as starter is so intuitive.
    Even a player like Revis took a year+ to develop into the player he is.

Don't forget that this team had a TON of trouble getting to the QB, let alone sacking him.
    Geting a CB is basically retooling for a rematch with the Colts, or a healthy Pats.

I question tho if we are better served, and better butressed statistically, by going for example, Jerry Hughes or Graham at 29 and getting a a CB in 2.

IMO there will be a CB available in 2 or later, esp if we can get into the 3rd. Like Joshua Moore, KSU.

Drafting a player like Pat Robinson in 1 is a very big risk. With any of the CBs available you aren't drafting a Darelle Revis at 29.

You may be drafting Justin Miller.

A guy I have been liking for a while like hughes is a guy that can get to the QB. Unlike anyone we have seen since Abe.

Hughes + Moore may be better than Wilson/Robinson/Cox/ etc + second round pass rusher/back up DE

Thoughts?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=dassin;3507089]From 2005 - 2008, the Ravens (read: Rex) drafted 5 defensive backs; three of which were safties (Haruki Nakamura, Dawan Landry, Tom Zbikowski and two CBs (Derrick Martin and David Pittman)...none of those DBs were drafted in the first two rounds.

So, let's not jump to conclusions that Ryan/Pettine are blinded by CBs. Nonetheless, if Kyle Wilson is on the board -- he's a Jet.

[B][U]IN REX I TRUST [/U][/B][/QUOTE]

Kyle Wilson or Perrish Cox... SIGN ME UP

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    who are these late first DL that people want? Odrick? yes there's a ton of DL value in round 1 and it will all be gone by 29.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=raysdaone;3507087]Good thing Mr. T runs the draft, not Rex and Pettine. I trust everything Mr. T does.[/QUOTE]

Tanny may run everything, but he takes feedback from his football guys. If everyone is telling him X, he will go with X. He is an excellent GM, but he's not the talent evaluator on the team. There are others for that - two of them being Rex and Pettine as well as Bradway, Wooden, Clinkscales, etc.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3507114]+1

If we can land a stud CB like Wilson or Cox, fine by me, but if the alternative is someone like Robinson or McCourty, I would rather follow Vader's lead and take the stud edge rusher (or D-lineman), then hopefully nab Joshua Moore in RD 2[/QUOTE]

+2

cant really comment on Moore since I havent seen him play much but with the amazing depth at D-line this year it would be a great consolation prize if both are corners are gone by then. Hughes or Pierre-Paul would be great in Rex's system but after the combine my guess is their stock is gonna soar. Dunlap is another guy that I feel might slip in the draft but i would like to avoid him unless somehow all other options are gone.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crasherino;3507119]Tanny may run everything, but he takes feedback from his football guys. If everyone is telling him X, he will go with X. He is an excellent GM, but he's not the talent evaluator on the team. There are others for that - two of them being Rex and Pettine as well as Bradway, Wooden, Clinkscales, etc.[/QUOTE]

I agree but Mr. T does have the final say.
    Last edited by raysdaone; 02-24-2010 at 04:18 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    to me Wilsons the only guy worth taking at #29. After that the water gets murky and there's little to any seperation between McCourty, Robinson, Warren, Cox, Murphy. All have upsides, and concerns. If more than 2 corners go off the board in the first, then there's definitely quality elsewhere thats slipping into our hands.

Some of them will be there for us in the late 2nd. I like the physical kid outta S. Florida

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3507136]Fair Question, bit

Not counting Earl Thomas who might be able to play CB and if he can I like the value at 29, here is a list of the DL's and 34OLB's I would take ahead of any CB not named Haden, Wilson or Cox

[B]IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER[/B]

The four in [COLOR="red"]RED[/COLOR] will all be gone, but the rest are possible at 29

[COLOR="Red"]Kong Suh
    Gerald McCoy
    Jason Pierre-Paul
    Derrick Morgan[/COLOR]
    Dan Williams
    Brian Price
    Brandon Graham
    Sergio Kindle
    Jerry Hughes
    Alex Carrington
    Carlos Dunlap[/QUOTE]

i'd add kindle to your red. he'll make it to 20 at best.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My 5 favorite non-Haden CBs in order:

Dominique Franks - I kind realize why the Jets have liked him. He's what they thought a 28 year old Sheppard was.

Donovan Warren - Not as good an athelte as Franks, but close enough and comes from a better program (IMO).

Kyle Wilson - Everybody loves this guy right now. Good player, not a personal favorite because I'm a natural hater.

Perrish Cox - On par with Franks as an athlete.

McCourty - RU! Yea....I don't even go there. Jersey education pride or something...

Alex Carrington is getting mighty overrated...he's not a possibility at 29 because that would be a major overdraft.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3507136]Fair Question, bit

Not counting Earl Thomas who might be able to play CB and if he can I like the value at 29, here is a list of the DL's and 34OLB's I would take ahead of any CB not named Haden, Wilson or Cox

[B]IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER[/B]

The four in [COLOR="red"]RED[/COLOR] will all be gone, but the rest are possible at 29

[COLOR="Red"]Kong Suh
    Gerald McCoy
    Jason Pierre-Paul
    Derrick Morgan[/COLOR]
    Dan Williams
    Brian Price
    Brandon Graham
    Sergio Kindle
    Jerry Hughes
    Alex Carrington
    Carlos Dunlap[/QUOTE]

Brian Price seems to be shooting up the board. Does he fit at all in a 3-4 scheme? Just by looking at his measurables, he seems more of a 4-3 Under Tackle type, but I can't say I've seen the guy play more than a couple of snaps.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3507170]lol :D

Quite the contrary, IMO he's being underrated

Most people think he's a mid to late 2, but I think he'll be a late 1 and no later than early 2

He's big, strong, quick and dominant, so what am I missing, what's not to like :hmm:

I think he's better than Dunlap[/QUOTE]

He lacks the length to be a true first round prospect as a 3-4 DE.

He's better than Dunlap, but lots of people are better than Dunlap. I say that half seriously, because Dunlap's upside is obviously ridiculous.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 02-24-2010 at 05:24 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

jets better off signing an experienced c.b.

the jets are better off signing an experienced free agent c.b. and using their first and second round picks on defensive ends.there are some very interesting defensive ends available

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't care which way they go with it, I look at it like an addition to a good team moving in the right direction. I say CB because it will take some time to get him up to snuff, so let's get started on the back and solidify it for years to come, then we can work on the pits, and backers.
    Last edited by Apache 51; 02-24-2010 at 05:28 PM.