Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newsday: And with the 29th pick the Jets select...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crasherino;3507196]Brian Price seems to be shooting up the board. Does he fit at all in a 3-4 scheme? Just by looking at his measurables, he seems more of a 4-3 Under Tackle type, but I can't say I've seen the guy play more than a couple of snaps.[/QUOTE]

I was skeptical as well.

It's hard to find good game film on the internet. But what I found on Price left me impressed. What I saw from it was he was pretty good at holding the point of attack against the run. His anticipation on the snap was great at times which allowed him to make some sacks and many tackles for loss. Great ripper and good use of hands and very strong body.

I was going to start a thread "Price vs. Odrick". Who is the better player and who fits us better because they are totally different. I want to wish Price can play 3-4 DE but I can't answer that.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3507216]I respectfully disagree, Gato

Unlike Price, at 6' 5"/290 or thereabouts, I think Carrington is an ideal 34DE[/QUOTE]

That he does, but his 30 or 31 inch arms just don't cut it to be considered a high end 3-4 DE prospect.

I'd love him on the team, but the only place I've even seen him in the 2nd is here.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote=dassin]From 2005 - 2008, the Ravens (read: Rex) drafted 5 defensive backs; three of which were safties (Haruki Nakamura, Dawan Landry, Tom Zbikowski and two CBs (Derrick Martin and David Pittman)...none of those DBs were drafted in the first two rounds.

So, let's not jump to conclusions that Ryan/Pettine are blinded by CBs. Nonetheless, if Kyle Wilson is on the board -- he's a Jet.

IN REX I TRUST [/quote]

[QUOTE=crasherino;3507119]Tanny may run everything, but he takes feedback from his football guys. If everyone is telling him X, he will go with X. He is an excellent GM, but he's not the talent evaluator on the team. There are others for that - two of them being Rex and Pettine as well as Bradway, Wooden, Clinkscales, etc.[/QUOTE]

Rex will have some input but I wouldn't conclude at this point that him and Pettine are some expert talent evaluators. The Jets had three good drafts before they were even here, and this past draft we only took offensive players.

Let the coaches coach, let the draft process stay pretty much how it's been since 2006, with Tannenbaum making the final call on which name is on that card when it's sent to the podium.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jets rooter;3507207]the jets are better off signing an experienced free agent c.b. and using their first and second round picks on defensive ends.there are some very interesting defensive ends available[/QUOTE]

Agree, if it can be done.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let's nip this whole Carrington in the 1st garbage right away.

In a stacked draft, I can't -- under any circumstance -- see how he'd would be BPA at 29.

A nice player, would probably be a good fit here. But 29 is an obvious reach. There's also a good shot he's around in the mid-late 2nd.

I hope this guy doesn't start getting the Jarron Gilbert treatment... where he's talked about on this board as a 1st rounder and gets taken mid 3rd.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jets rooter;3507207]the jets are better off signing an experienced free agent c.b. and using their first and second round picks on defensive ends.there are some very interesting defensive ends available[/QUOTE]

I'm ok with this too.

Right now, i'm only luke warm on everyone not named Haden and Wilson. I don't like the catch 22s with Cox, i've got consistency concerns with Robinson and Warren is all over the place in terms of evaluation. Don't know enough about McCourty and Franks.

If we found a vet CB somewhere, kept strickland, and drafted a combo of Odrick, Hughes, Houston, Thomas, Misi, , ppl like that, i'd be happy. Hell i'd even be ok if we took[B] Pouncey [/B]in the first/early second. Be a serious bonus to have a young OT that can play anywhere on the line.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did he include the DE/OLB prospects in these 13, or just DT/DEs?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3507258]I believe Mike Mayock gives him a 1st RD Grade

You saw the thread I posted, where it said Mayock gives 13 D-linemen a 1st RD Grade, and where the reporter said the scouts and NFL people he has spoken with concur with Mayock, so that does not appear to be a stretch

Well I haven't seen Mayock's list of DL's, but I read somewhere else (can't recall where) that Carrington is one of those DL's he is giving a 1st RD Grade

Not that Mayock is infallable, but I think you'll agree he is very good, and again, NFL people seem to agree with his overall assessment of the DL's in this class[/QUOTE]

Carrington might also be the #10 DL out of 13 with 1st round grades.

If 10 DL are taken in the 1st round, someone like Graham or Wilson are probably going to fall. I'd much rather take the BPA than the 10th DL in the 1st round.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think this assumption that Coach Ryan has a 'biased towards corners mentality' is just plain and pure assumption on the authors part.
    I remember after the end of the season Coach Ryan saying ( i forgot which interview it was) that they would keep selecting the BAP in the draft.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetsFanInDenver;3507285]I think this assumption that Coach Ryan has a 'biased towards corners mentality' is just plain and pure assumption on the authors part.
    I remember after the end of the season Coach Ryan saying ( i forgot which interview it was) that they would keep selecting the BAP in the draft.[/QUOTE]

Tanny mentioned it during his end of season press conference. Tanny said Rex likes DBs.

[I]We have not finalized any decision on Lito yet, but what's interesting from my standpoint, [B]I have been around Rex now for a year. He loves small guys, which is really the antithesis of what you would think of a big, blitzing defense. He loves DBs.[/B] The other interesting thing about Rex is if you would chart our inactive list over the 19 games, he's really a fascinating guy. He's a very game-plan-specific defensive playcaller. There were games, like our home opener against the New England Patriots, where we had four defensive linemen active and I was like "Wow, I can't believe we are doing that." After the game I'm like "Of course we are doing that." There were some games we had six defensive linemen.[/I]

[I]If I'm doing my job well, when we get to September of 2010, we will have depth at every one of the position groups on defense so Rex and Mike [Pettine] can go to their bag and say, “This week we want six defensive linemen and this week we only need four.” Rex is really interesting in how he is so game-plan-specific and how much our inactive list changes every week. I think we do need to add depth to our secondary and that will definitely be an area we look at for the off-season.[/I]

[url]http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/articles/show/3607-tannenbaum-s-thursday-news-conference[/url]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3507270]Yeah but the point is, he is carrying a 1st RD Grade

Doesn't matter where he ranks in comparision to other DL's who carry a 1st RD Grade, the point is he is not a reach at 29 if he is carrying a 1st RD Grade ... and Charlie Casserly agrees, as well as his (Casserly's) NFL contacts, that this class is deeper with legit "1st RD Grades" than any draft he can recall since 1983, and the reporter got the same feedback from the NFL insiders he has spoken with, and they all seem to agree more DL's (not CB's) carry a legit 1st RD Grade in this class than any other position

Point being, if the 10th ranked DL in this class carries a legit 1st RD Grade and the 3rd best CB doesn't, the better pick at 29 is the 10th ranked DL as opposed to the 3rd ranked CB ... the DL is still the better value pick

See what I mean, Mike?

Its not about where he ranks amongst DL's in a loaded DL class

Its about where he Grades out at 29 and compared to whatever else is left on the board[/QUOTE]

I do see what you mean. A 1st round prospect is a 1st round prospect...

But for my money, and my pick, I'm going to take the absolute best player on the board at 29. I just don't see how that winds up being Carrington.

If he's there at 61, take him and run. But not at 29.

Just my take.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    For the record, my flavor of the week for our pick at 29 is Greg Hardy. Top 5 potential.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    waaaaaaat. Hardy?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Paradis;3507316]waaaaaaat. Hardy?[/QUOTE]

Yes

[IMG]http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xr/91734498.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=3&d=77BFBA49EF878921CC759DF4EBAC47D00CE261CF0012FE21C56F0E2B5E8C386EB44B6D04CD7BE41C[/IMG]

One of the most talented players in the entire draft.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Carrington might play like a 1st rounder but they can probably wait til 61 and still nab him.

For the record I like Kyle Wilson but don't think he will be there at 29.

If the Jets HAVE to pick CB at 29 my most recent guess is the pick will be [b]Perrish Cox[/b] of Oklahoma State.

The reason being that he is a natural ball hawk and whoever plays across from Revis is gonna get thrown at _a TON_ and it would be nice if they picked off the ball a couple times.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I got what I wanted in the drafted as I feel it should be at this moment in time it'd look like this:

1: Dominique Franks
    2: Corey Wooton
    5: Linval Joseph
    6: O'Brien Schofield
    7: Rashawn Jackson

I just...gave you guys a mock draft.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3507355]If I got what I wanted in the drafted as I feel it should be at this moment in time it'd look like this:

I just...gave you guys a mock draft.[/QUOTE]

Replace Jackson with John Conner. Otherwise from what I have read I like it. I like taking Schofield, I suggested that after he was injured, even if he has to sit out 2010.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;3507397][B]Replace Jackson with John Conner[/B]. Otherwise from what I have read I like it. I like taking Schofield, I suggested that after he was injured, even if he has to sit out 2010.[/QUOTE]

We need the Terminator to take over from T-Rich who's winding down his career and keep the run game firing on all cylinders

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3507355]If I got what I wanted in the drafted as I feel it should be at this moment in time it'd look like this:

I just...gave you guys a mock draft.[/QUOTE]

lol that was a good one gato... how about this?

1. cb Perrish Cox, okla st
    2. olb Jermaine Cunningham, Florida
    5. rb Lonyae Miller, Fresno St
    6. ilb sean lee, penn st
    7. cb crezdon butler, clemson

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3507453]lol that was a good one gato... how about this?

1. cb Perrish Cox, okla st
    2. olb Jermaine Cunningham, Florida
    5. rb Lonyae Miller, Fresno St
    6. ilb sean lee, penn st
    7. cb crezdon butler, clemson[/QUOTE]

lol I'd be OK but a little sad inside, but this is fun.

I'm just gonna keep shooting bullets...Maybe next offseasons mocks will not exist because of all this exposure:

1: Greg Hardy DE/OLB Ole Miss
    2: Arthur Jones DE/DT Syracuse
    5: Stephan Virgil CB VT
    6: Blair White WR MSU
    7: Javarris James RB Miami

Or

1: Ryan Matthews RB Fresno State
    2: Vince Oghobaase DE/DT Duke
    5: Alterraun Verner CB UCLA
    6: Boo Robinson NT/DT Wake Forest
    7: Sam Maxwell LB Kentucky

Or

1: DeMaryius Thomas WR GT
    2: Kareem Jackson CB Alabama
    5: Antonio Coleman DE/OLB Auburn
    6: Colin Peek TE Alabama
    7: Al Woods LSU

Or:

1: Everson Griffen DE/OLB USC
    2: Mike Neal DE/DT Purdue
    5: Torrell Troup NT/DT UCF
    6: Walter McFadden CB Auburn
    7: Marshay Green CB Ole Miss
    Last edited by SenorGato; 02-24-2010 at 10:47 PM.