Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Newsday: And with the 29th pick the Jets select...

My previous mock after trading out of the 1st round and trading Rhodes.

2nd (34th) Perrish Cox - CB - Oklahoma State
    2nd (61st) Nate Allen - S - South Florida
    3rd (67th) Lamarr Houston - DE - Texas
    4th (97th) Jason Worilds - OLB - Virginia Tech
    5th (159) Antonio Brown - WR - Central Michigan
    6th (162) Reggie Carter - ILB - UCLA
    6th (188) Chris Brown - RB - Oklahoma
    7th (220) John Connor - FB - Kentucky

All Pro
    No love for Jerome Murphy at #61 eh? I'm callin it now, if Wilson's gone at #29, this our CB.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Paradis;3507690]No love for Jerome Murphy at #61 eh? I'm callin it now, if Wilson's gone at #29, this our CB.[/QUOTE]

I am with you 100%....this guy isnt getting a lot of love. I love his size and speed. He is a good man to man, bump and run corner....I think he would be perfect at 61. Very physical guy.

Jets Insider VIP
    Unless the Jets somehow snag a veteran CB who was cut by another team, I think the overwhelming odds are in favor of the Jets drafting a CB at 29.

Mike Mayock has 4 CBs with 1st round grades: Haden, Wilson, McCourty, and Robinson. If I remember correctly, he has 2d round grades for Cox and Jerome Murphy.

Considering the rest of the 1st round talent, chances are at least 1 if not 2 of the top 4 corners (according to Mayock) will be available at 29. So the Jets would be drafting BAP at a need position.

I don't think there's anyway the Jets draft a 3-4 OLB at 29. None. The Jets want an immediate impact player. They have Pace and Thomas. They also have Gholston (whom Tanny was adament about his return) and Westerman. So, that No. 29 3-4 OLB would have to be an elite pass rusher to leapfrog Thomas, Gholston, and Westerman and it's counterintuitive to believe that an elite pass rusher (in a passing league) would fall to 29.

As to the true 3-4 DLineman, I can see the scenario where the Jets will go with the BAP if all 4 of the top CBs are gone. The Jets may still "reach" (according to Mayock) for Cox or Murphy.

I don't think they'll go WR at 29. I have the feeling that the Jets are locked into the idea that Cotch and Edwards are their starters. So a slot WR isn't worth the 29th pick and they'd have to break the Cotch/Edwards starters mentality to draft a WR at 29 to take over the No. 2 role.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=SMC;3507723]

Mike Mayock has 4 CBs [B]with 1st round grades[/B]: Haden, Wilson, McCourty, and Robinson. If I remember correctly, he has 2d round grades for Cox and Jerome Murphy.
    .[/QUOTE]

Really? cause i heard him say something that conflicts with that. I didn't hear anything about robinson or McCourty being first rnd grades at all. If ATL bites and takes Wilson (which is probably our biggest threat to him falling to us), then i'm i think the brass will look elswhere. The difference between a Robinson, or McCourty and a Murphy or Franks isn't mindmelting.

[QUOTE=Paradis;3507764]Really? cause i heard him say something that conflicts with that. I didn't hear anything about robinson or McCourty being first rnd grades at all. If ATL bites and takes Wilson (which is probably our biggest threat to him falling to us), then i'm i think the brass will look elswhere. The difference between a Robinson, or McCourty and a Murphy or Franks isn't mindmelting.[/QUOTE]

Mayock actually had McCourty as his 3rd CB

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=SMC;3507723]
    I don't think there's anyway the Jets draft a 3-4 OLB at 29. None. The Jets want an immediate impact player. They have Pace and Thomas. They also have Gholston (whom Tanny was adament about his return) and Westerman. So, that No. 29 3-4 OLB would have to be an elite pass rusher to leapfrog Thomas, Gholston, and Westerman and it's counterintuitive to believe that an elite pass rusher (in a passing league) would fall to 29.
    [/QUOTE]

Agree with the above. If Gholston is on the roster, we are not drafting a 1st round OLB. It simply doesn't make sense, logically speaking. Gholston is on the roster for one last shot. If we draft an OLB, there are not enough snaps for both Gholston and this other guy to take. If we keep Gholston and don't give him the opportunity to succeed, we might as well cut him. If we don't cut him, we need to let him demonstrate (yet again) that he doesn't belong here. If he sh!ts the bed again, its easier to say "C-ya" in 2011 and move forward.

[QUOTE=SMC;3507723]Unless the Jets somehow snag a veteran CB who was cut by another team, I think the overwhelming odds are in favor of the Jets drafting a CB at 29.

Mike Mayock has 4 CBs with 1st round grades: Haden, Wilson, McCourty, and Robinson. If I remember correctly, he has 2d round grades for Cox and Jerome Murphy.

Considering the rest of the 1st round talent, chances are at least 1 if not 2 of the top 4 corners (according to Mayock) will be available at 29. So the Jets would be drafting BAP at a need position.

As to the true 3-4 DLineman, I can see the scenario where the Jets will go with the BAP if all 4 of the top CBs are gone. The Jets may still "reach" (according to Mayock) for Cox or Murphy.

I don't think they'll go WR at 29. I have the feeling that the Jets are locked into the idea that Cotch and Edwards are their starters. So a slot WR isn't worth the 29th pick and they'd have to break the Cotch/Edwards starters mentality to draft a WR at 29 to take over the No. 2 role.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. The Jets used 2 picks to get Edwards, and the glaring needs are DE and CB.

I believe Tanny's first preference is to trade back 5-6 spots, get another pick, and take a CB early round 2. That may give him flexibility to move up a bit in round 2 to get a DE.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=doggin94it;3507797]Mayock actually had McCourty as his 3rd CB[/QUOTE]

Ya i saw that, and he said nothing anybody past Wilson being taken in the first rnd or being worthy of a first rnd pick (from what i caught)

[QUOTE=crasherino;3507801]Agree with the above. If Gholston is on the roster, we are not drafting a 1st round OLB. It simply doesn't make sense, logically speaking. Gholston is on the roster for one last shot. If we draft an OLB, there are not enough snaps for both Gholston and this other guy to take. If we keep Gholston and don't give him the opportunity to succeed, we might as well cut him. If we don't cut him, we need to let him demonstrate (yet again) that he doesn't belong here. If he sh!ts the bed again, its easier to say "C-ya" in 2011 and move forward.[/QUOTE]

This to me is logic that makes sense. +1

[QUOTE=augustiniak;3507816]I agree with this. The Jets used 2 picks to get Edwards, and the glaring needs are DE and CB.
    I believe Tanny's first preference is to trade back 5-6 spots, get another pick, and take a CB early round 2. That may give him flexibility to move up a bit in round 2 to get a DE.[/QUOTE]

Again, if his name isn't Bryant, pass. I'd love to move back a few spots. The best chance we have at that is if some of these OLB/DE types slip like Kindle and someone wants to trade with us

All Pro
    The difference between Wilson, Franks, McCourty, and several others is negligible. It'll become a little more clear after the combine numbers are in and we can see who's the best athlete.

But I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that a CB gets picked at 29 like some of you guys do. I believe a CB will be taken in the 1st OR 2nd. It all depends on who is there at 29.

Man, I really hope they can trade back and pick up a 3rd.

All League
    [QUOTE=SMC;3507723]

[/QUOTE]

It's still waaaaay too early to get tied up with the rankings, plus, on NFL Network this morning, Mayock had Earl Thomas ranked higher than Berry. Really. Said that Berry wasn't as productive as he was as a freshman.

FWIW

Also, as of this morning, they had Hadenranked as the clear #1 corner with Wilson as a first rounder with McCourty being laste first or early second guy.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=pcola;3507883]It's still waaaaay too early to get tied up with the rankings, plus, on NFL Network this morning, Mayock had Earl Thomas ranked higher than Berry. Really. Said that Berry wasn't as productive as he was as a freshman.

FWIW

Also, as of this morning, they had Hadenranked as the clear #1 corner with Wilson as a first rounder with McCourty being laste first or early second guy.[/QUOTE]

It definitely is way too early, but all I can go on at the moment is what I read/see from trusted sources like Mayock and what I remember from games I've seen.

I'm just a fan. If the opinions I rely on change, then my opinion is going to change.

Mayock is the best in the business IMO. If he has those 3 1st round CBs, then I'll lean on that. If he changes his opinion, I'll likely change mine unless there is a reliable counter opinion out there.

It's as simple as that.

All League
    [QUOTE=SMC;3507944]It definitely is way too early, but all I can go on at the moment is what I read/see from trusted sources like Mayock and what I remember from games I've seen.

I'm just a fan. If the opinions I rely on change, then my opinion is going to change.

Mayock is the best in the business IMO. If he has those 3 1st round CBs, then I'll lean on that. If he changes his opinion, I'll likely change mine unless there is a reliable counter opinion out there.

It's as simple as that.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't saying not to rely on the professionals opinion, but sometimes the professionals (Mayock included) say and write things for shock value. My point being that he is probably the only guy in the business that has Thomas as the top rated S.

Looking at the safeties in this draft as a fan, I have to wonder about both guys because of their lack of size and if both can hold up. I've read where Berry can also play corner and do it well enough to start in the NFL, so how he could say this and still rank him lower makes me think he is just throwing stuff out there right now because the time between the Senior Bowl and the combine is pretty slow.

Once the kids get measured this weekend, we will be able to form our own opinion (shy of personalities, football intelligence, etc.).

All Pro
    ya, i'm a devout Mayock follower..

As far Corners go, secondary is kind of his trade and area of biggest interest. I don't think you'll see his rankings or opinions about them change much, as Corners are usually the position he has done his homework in by now.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=pcola;3508005]I wasn't saying not to rely on the professionals opinion, but sometimes the professionals (Mayock included) say and write things for shock value. My point being that he is probably the only guy in the business that has Thomas as the top rated S.

Looking at the safeties in this draft as a fan, I have to wonder about both guys because of their lack of size and if both can hold up. I've read where Berry can also play corner and do it well enough to start in the NFL, so how he could say this and still rank him lower makes me think he is just throwing stuff out there right now because the time between the Senior Bowl and the combine is pretty slow.

Once the kids get measured this weekend, we will be able to form our own opinion (shy of personalities, football intelligence, etc.).[/QUOTE]

He also has McCoy ahead of Suh.

So he is basically saying that the consensus top two players in the entire draft by most accounts aren't even the top players at their respective positions.

I almost always trust his judgment, but I think he's really full of it and just trying to be different in this case.

Might as well put Wilson above Haden and Best over Spiller while he's at it.

[QUOTE=TheMikeIsHot;3508100]He also has McCoy ahead of Suh.

So he is basically saying that the consensus top two players in the entire draft by most accounts aren't even the top players at their respective positions.

I almost always trust his judgment, but I think he's really full of it and just trying to be different in this case.

Might as well put Wilson above Haden and Best over Spiller while he's at it.[/QUOTE]

Per Chris Mortensen's twitter earlier tonite:

[B][URL="http://twitter.com/mortreport"]mortreport[/URL][/B]
    I am hearing from more & more personnel people & coaches that Gerald McCoy is ahead of Ndamnukong Suh on draft boards. But very close. [URL="http://twitter.com/mortreport/status/9652346522"] [/URL]

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=TheMikeIsHot;3508100][B]He also has McCoy ahead of Suh[/B].

Might as well put Wilson above Haden and Best over Spiller while he's at it.[/QUOTE]

Mayock does gives reasons for his opinions, demonstrating that he's not merely being a contrarian.

He has McCoy ahead of Suh because he says McCoy is a better pass rusher. Since this is a passing league that talent gives McCoy the edge.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=SMC;3508117]Mayock does gives reasons for his opinions, demonstrating that he's not merely being a contrarian.

He has McCoy ahead of Suh because he says McCoy is a better pass rusher. Since this is a passing league that talent gives McCoy the edge.[/QUOTE]

I haven't really seen anyone else say McCoy is a better pass rusher. 12 sacks (McCoy had 12 total in 2 seasons) for Suh in 2009 say he's the better pass rusher.

Of course he's going to have a reason for his opinion and deny being contrarian. That's what people in his profession do. Nobody ever admits to being different for the sake of being different.

Did you catch his reason for Thomas over Berry?

[QUOTE]
    Did you catch his reason for Thomas over Berry? [/QUOTE]

The publicity.

He also said McCoy and Suh are 1A and 1B, and either could be 1A.