Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chauncey Washington

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Chauncey Washington

With the pending departure of TJ and Tannebaums recent comments about Chauncey, I thought we should discuss him as our possible 3rd back:

He is 5'11" 220 lbs from USC

he had 195 carries for 969 yds and 10 TDS.. he ave 5 yds per carry. Maybe his development is giving the JETS the confidence to release TJ plus the obvious of greene and leon.

Here is a quote at draft time:

[B]Projection
    Had Washington not missed time due to grades, stayed healthy, and was given the oppurtunity to carry the full load at USC, we might be talking about the first round for him. But instead, he's a borderline 3rd to 4th round type player. Just too many concerns for not enough upside. He should be a great 3rd down/red zone back at the next level, and is worth taking a fly on by a team with great leadership.[/B]
    [B]
    PLUS SI gave him a late 3rd round projection[/B]

any other insight?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, a pal of mine from Wisconsin and a sick Packers fan said Washington acted like a prima donna on THE PRACTICE SQUAD and nobody was sorry to see him go when Tanny scooped him up. Oh, and he was a borderline felon at USC. Great high school prospect, too much attitude, never worked hard, thought school was a joke and he was entitled to the world.

The talent is there but Rex and the guys are going to have to knock the attitude out of him on the practice field. No way Tanny is counting him as our third back- not with Danny Boy there already. If Washington is going to make the team he better play well for Westhof on special teams.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He sounds like the second coming of Maurice Clarett.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=regen;3508926]Yes, a pal of mine from Wisconsin and a sick Packers fan said Washington acted like a prima donna on THE PRACTICE SQUAD and nobody was sorry to see him go when Tanny scooped him up. Oh, and he was a borderline felon at USC. Great high school prospect, too much attitude, never worked hard, thought school was a joke and he was entitled to the world.

The talent is there but Rex and the guys are going to have to knock the attitude out of him on the practice field. No way Tanny is counting him as our third back- not with Danny Boy there already. If Washington is going to make the team he better play well for Westhof on special teams.[/QUOTE]
    Too bad he was never on the Packers practice squad.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Didn't we get him from Dallas's practice squad ?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=WoodyPaige;3508972]Too bad he was never on the Packers practice squad.[/QUOTE]

Haha, now that takes some steam out of his comment...

To Washington, I always thought he looked very solid at USC. A no nonsense, one cut runner who gets downhill. Not the greatest burst, decent receiver and physical. All we need from him is a solid 10 carries a game to give Greene rest and that he takes advantage of our great OLine...
    Last edited by Flaming Mo; 02-27-2010 at 03:08 PM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [url]http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/584661?tag=untagged[/url]

One of the more unheralded running backs in the recent USC era of standout ballcarriers, Washington has had to overcome a series of battles to remain on the field.

At age nine, Washington woke up one morning to find he could not move his legs. The paralysis lasted for more than a week before it just as mysteriously disappeared. "They still haven't figured out what it was," the running back recalls. "After seven days, I got the feeling back in my legs. It was painful, but I started gaining strength. Next thing I know, I started to walk again. Once I got out of the hospital, I started running faster. For some reason, I felt fast. And no, I wouldn't recommend being paralyzed to everyone … I don't think I'll meet any other challenges like that in my life. It makes you stronger as a person."

When he arrived at Southern California, academics, more than anything else, prevented Washington from living up to his lofty high school headlines. He was academically ineligible to play during the 2004 and 2005 campaigns. He was also ruled ineligible during spring ball in 2006 and 2007. "I'm not sure why, to be honest," Washington said. "I just got lazy the first few weeks of school. It's more from not going to classes. I got too much of myself. It happens."

"I got discouraged, but my father picked me up. He said, 'Let's go. You've still got time. You're young. Everything will work out.' It's all paying off … I've waited a long time. You need to have patience. It's just like when you're running with the ball. You need patience then … Some people would have given up after what I went through, but I believe I'm strong and it made me into more of a man to stick with it."

Injuries also played a role in holding Washington back. A right ankle sprain in 2003 sidelined him for all but seven games, as he re-injured it during the course of that season. The injury was later diagnosed as a stress fracture. A nagging left hamstring strain in 2006 limited him to just four starting assignments and he later suffered a knee strain that limited his carries near the end of that season. He then missed the 2007 season opener vs. Idaho after suffering a right shoulder strain in August camp.

Washington has also had to battle with conditioning issues, but made a determined effort before the 2007 season to reduce his body fat and increase his stamina. He mainly credits three people for his lighter, sleeker physique. According to the fifth-year senior, Chris Carlisle, Brandon Hancock and George Foreman helped him shed 24 pounds during the offseason. Carlisle, USC's strength coach, provided the workout regimen.

Hancock, a former Trojans fullback and bodybuilding aficionado, supplied nutritional advice. Foreman, the former boxing champion, was the namesake for the popular grill on which Washington prepared his high-protein meals. "Chicken breasts, egg whites -- George Foreman did it all," Washington said after arriving at training camp weighing 216 pounds.

At South Torrance High School, Washington earned 2002 Super Prep, Prep Star and Tom Lemming All-American honors. He added Super Prep All-Farwest, Prep Star All-West, Tom Lemming All-West, Long Beach Press-Telegram Best in the West, Tacoma News Tribune Western 100, Orange County Register Fab 15 and Cal-Hi Sports All-State Medium Schools honors. He was also selected to the All-CIF Southern Section, All-CIF Division X, Los Angeles Times All-South Bay/Westside and South Bay Daily Breeze All-South Bay team.

The All-Pioneer League Co-MVP ran for 1,549 yards on 140 carries (11.1 avg) with 23 touchdowns and caught 13 passes for 200 yards (15.4 avg) with two scores in 2002, despite missing five games with a knee injury. As a junior in 2001, he was named to the All-CIF Division X, Los Angeles Times All-South Bay, South Bay Daily Breeze All-South Bay and All-Ocean League first teams.

That season, he gained 1,975 yards on 225 carries (8.8 avg) with 26 touchdowns, plus had 22 catches for 273 yards (12.4 avg) with two scores and returned 10 kickoffs for 324 yards (32.4 avg). As a sophomore in 2000, Washington made the All-Ocean League first team as he rushed for 1,548 yards on 179 carries (8.6 avg). He also competed for South Torrance's soccer and track (with a best of 10.5 in the 100 meters) teams.

Rated the nation's eighth-best running back prospect by Rivals.com, Washington rejected any and all scholarship offers from other universities, as he was determined to play for Southern California in 2003. He lined up as the third string tailback behind All-Americans Reggie Bush and LenDale White. In between his ankle problems, he carried the ball 19 times for 65 yards (3.4 avg), caught one pass for 6 yards and recorded three tackles.

Academics kept him away from the team during the 2004 and '05 seasons. He was still academically ineligible for 2006 spring ball, but improved his grades in summer school to rejoin the team for the 2006 campaign.

Washington started four of 12 games while battling with a left hamstring injury for most of the year. He still managed to lead the team with 744 yards and nine touchdowns on 157 attempts (4.7 avg). He added 93 yards on nine catches (10.3 avg) and recorded a solo tackle. Later in the year, he was also limited by a knee sprain.

Washington again struggled with academics before the 2007 campaign and then had to deal with a right shoulder contusion in fall camp. He did not make his 2007 debut until the team's second game and returned to the starting lineup the following week. He earned All-Pac 10 Conference honorable mention, as he led the Trojans with 195 carries for 969 yards (5.0 avg) and 10 touchdowns, adding 59 yards with two scores on seven receptions (8.4 avg). During the season, running backs coach Todd McNair said, "Chauncey is more powerful than some of the smaller guys and more shifty than the big guys. He's got a unique power-speed combination."

Analysis
    Positives: Has a solid frame with good upper body muscle tone, wide waist and hips and thick thighs and calves … Much more effective changing direction at 215 pounds than he showed earlier in his career when playing at 240 … Team-first type who takes well to hard coaching, but lacks any sort of leadership skills … Runs with a normal stride and a steady acceleration, showing functional initial quickness, balance and body control with some ability to slide and adjust running between tackles (liability running on the outside) … Has good toughness, running low in his pads to create movement taking the ball up the middle … stays on his feet and bounces off tackles much better in the short area than when on the perimeter … Has the strength to easily break tackles and move some piles, as he works hard to get through traffic, showing enough balance after the initial hit to stay on his feet and work for extra yardage … Quick out of his stance and into the holes, as he corrected a hitch in his initial step prior to his senior year … Needs to do a better job of anticipating his blockers, but shows the ability to drive through arm tackles (still must become more patient letting the play develop) … When he finds a seam, he can use his balance and leg drive on initial contact to move through tight quarters … Runs with better balance when he keeps his pads down, but has a tendency to rely on the cut back when he shouldn't … Has the lower body power to keep his feet moving, but not when he tries to run lean … Does an adequate job protecting the ball through traffic … Efficient on dump-offs and controlled routes when he can catch the ball in stride, but is not recommended for use on deep patterns or be relied upon to instinctively know when to work back to the ball when the quarterback is in trouble … Much better cut blocker, as he is adequate at stalking second level defenders, but seems to want no part in playing the lead blocker role or facing up to bigger defenders in pass protection.

Negatives: Has had some weight issues in the past, but dropped close to 25 pounds before his senior year, showing much better lateral agility and the ability to run at a lower pad level than he did at a heavier weight … Type of player who will compete hurt, but has had a rash of nagging minor injuries that has limited his performances … Struggles with his academics and does get lazy in his training (will need to be monitored) and might have a problem digesting a complicated playbook (special education student that requires help in his class work) … Lacks the sudden burst or top end speed to escape quickly and is better as a north-south runner, as he gathers too much when trying to turn the corner, showing no explosiveness running through the rush lane … Lacks great field vision and pick-and-slide agility (will run right into traffic rather than try to avoid) … Does not have the feet or balance to accelerate quickly … Needs to be more patient running the ball, as he lacks a good feel for his blockers and looks hesitant trying to find the cutback lanes when the holes are clogged … Does not have the pure speed or acceleration to turn the corner and fails to generate much hip wiggle and shake to avoid second-level defenders when he gets past the line of scrimmage … Marginal route runner who is rarely exposed in the passing game, as he does not have a good feel for tracking the ball in flight and displays rock-hard hands … Shows a keen reluctance to block in limited chances as a fullback and his lack of desire, along with weak hand jolt and poor hand placement sees him yield ground when asked to protect the pocket … Seems to lack courage as a blocker, as he will duck his head and literally step out of the path of an edge rusher, making only a passive attempt to initiate contact.

Compares To: MIKE BELL-Denver … If a team is looking for an adequate chain-moving, north-south runner, Washington will be a nice late-round find. He has battled learning issues, weight issues and injury issues throughout his career, but despite a lack of explosion has found a way to move the ball through traffic. He lacks route running ability and has shown a distain for blocking, making him a non-factor for a potential move to fullback. For depth purposes only, he could make a roster, but there are just too many more battles for him to overcome if he ever hopes of starting at the next level.

Career Notes
    In 31 games at Southern California, Washington started 15 contests. He collected 1,778 yards with 19 touchdowns on 371 carries (4.8 avg). He also caught 17 passes for 158 yards (9.3 avg) and a pair of scores, adding four tackles (2 solos).

2007 Season
    All-Pac 10 Conference honorable mention … Started the team's final eleven games, missing the season opener vs. Idaho after he suffered a right shoulder contusion midway through August camp, after hitting the ground awkwardly after a long run in scrimmage and had his arm placed in a sling for several weeks … Still managed to lead the team in rushing with 195 carries for 969 yards (5.0 avg) and ten touchdowns … Added 59 yards and two scores on seven receptions (8.4 avg).

2007 Game Analysis
    Idaho … Did not play (right shoulder).

Nebraska … Came off the bench in his 2007 debut to gain 43 yards on twelve chances, as he helped start a 21-point third quarter onslaught with a pair of 1-yard touchdown runs.

Washington State … Rushed eleven times for 84 yards, powering his way into the end zone for a 7-yard touchdown that started the second half's scoring.

Washington … Collected 106 yards on 21 chances and had a career-long 53-yard scamper to set up a scoring drive … Also ran for a 2-yard third quarter touchdown.

Stanford … Followed with 23 carries for 75 yards, including a 1-yard scoring plunge in the second quarter.

Arizona … Totaled 54 yards on seventeen chances and broke free for an 18-yard scoring scamper in the first quarter.

Notre Dame … Ran twelve times for 64 yards and caught a pass for 5 yards, but had his string of five consecutive games of running for a touchdown snapped.

Oregon … Delivered 42 yards on eleven attempts.

Oregon State … Washington scored on a 26-yard flag pass from John David Booty and also ran for a 1-yard touchdown, gaining 60 yards on twelve tries.

California … Exploded for a career-high 220 yards on 29 carries, including a 36-yard touchdown in the second quarter and set up Stafon Johnson's game-winning 3-yard scoring burst by totaling 64 of the 94 yards during that scoring drive … His 220 yards were the most by a Trojan since Reggie Bush had 260 vs. UCLA in 2005 and was Washington's fourth career 100-yard outing, surpassing his previous high by 101 yards, earning Pac-10 Offensive Player of the Week honors.

Arizona State … Followed with 22 carries for 80 yards and an 11-yard reception.

UCLA … Added 66 yards on thirteen chances, running over defensive end Bruce Davis on a second quarter 10-yard touchdown jaunt.

Illinois (Rose Bowl) … Closed out his career with three catches for 12 yards, including an 8-yard score and rushed twelve times for 75 yards, adding another touchdown on a 3-yard run.

2006 Season
    After sitting out the last two seasons due to academic ineligibility and having to take summer school courses to regain his eligibility, Washington would lead the team in rushing with 744 yards and nine touchdowns on 157 carries (4.7 avg) … Also caught nine passes for 93 yards (10.3 avg) … Recorded one solo tackle vs. Arizona … Started vs. Arizona State, Oregon State, Stanford and Oregon in midseason action, but was slowed early in the year by a left hamstring strain from August camp and then saw just limited carries later in the season due to a knee strain suffered in the Oregon clash.

2006 Game Analysis
    Arkansas … Opened the season with 55 yards on eight carries, setting up a USC 38-yard field goal with a 16-yard scamper.

Nebraska … Rushed twelve times for 52 yards and a 7-yard score in the fourth quarter, adding a 9-yard reception.

Washington State … Collected 71 yards on eighteen tries, scoring on a 3-yard run in the second quarter.

Washington … Caught two passes for 17 yards and ran seventeen times for 81 yards.

Arizona State … In his first career start, Washington totaled 108 yards on 22 carries with a game-winning fourth quarter 2-yard touchdown with 4:29 to play in a 28-21 decision.

Oregon State … Carried eighteen times for 81 yards, including a 2-yard scoring plunge in the second quarter, adding three receptions for 32 yards.

Stanford … Totaled 74 yards on twelve attempts, as he ran for a 15-yard touchdown to begin the team's scoring in a 42-0 shutout.

Oregon … Before suffering a knee sprain, Washington delivered 119 yards on fifteen carries, scoring on runs of 5 yards in the first quarter and on 3 & 43-yard scampers in the third frame.

Michigan (Rose Bowl) … Still suffering the effects of his knee injury, Washington was held to 8 yards on a pair of carries.

2004-05 SEASONS

Did not play … Ruled academically ineligible for both seasons.

2005 Season
    Washington was sidelined for his second consecutive year while academically ineligible as a sophomore in 2005. He had an impressive showing in 2005 spring practice.

2004 Season
    Redshirted the 2004 season while academically ineligible. He missed 2004 spring practice while recovering from the ankle injury.

2003 Season
    Appeared in seven games as a true freshman, but was limited early in the year by a right ankle sprain vs. Hawaii that prevented him from playing in the California and Arizona State clashes … Missed the final four contests vs. Arizona, UCLA, Oregon State and Michigan when further medical tests after the Washington State game revealed that he had a stress fracture in his ankle … Finished with 65 yards on nineteen carries (3.4 avg), a 6-yard reception and three tackles … Made his college debut with 24 yards on three attempts vs. Auburn and rushed four times for 17 yards before re-injuring his ankle vs. Washington State.

Injury Report
    2002: Sat out five games with a knee sprain during his high school senior year.

2003: Suffered a right ankle sprain vs. Hawaii (9/13), missing the next two games vs. California and Arizona State … Re-injured his ankle vs. Washington State (11/01), sitting out the team's final four contests vs. Arizona, UCLA, Oregon State and Michigan.

2006: Suffered a left hamstring strain in an early August scrimmage and the injury would hamper him throughout the season … Strained his right knee vs. Oregon (11/11) that would limit his carries in the team's final four contests.

2007: Suffered a right shoulder sprain the third week of August camp (8/23) and was sidelined for the season opener vs. Idaho (9/01), as he kept his arm in a sling for several weeks to speed the recovery process.

Agility Tests
    Campus: 4.6 in the 40-yard dash … 335-pound bench press … 480-pound back squat … 308-pound hang clean … 34-inch vertical jump … 30 1/2-inch arm length … 9 5/8-inch hands … Right-handed.

Combine: Did not work out due to right shoulder injury.

High School
    Attended South Torrance (Calif.) High School, playing football for head coach Brett Peabody … Earned 2002 Super Prep, Prep Star and Tom Lemming All-American honors … Added Super Prep All-Farwest, Prep Star All-West, Tom Lemming All-West, Long Beach Press-Telegram Best in the West, Tacoma News Tribune Western 100, Orange County Register Fab 15 and Cal-Hi Sports All-State Medium Schools honors … Selected to the All-CIF Southern Section, All-CIF Division X, Los Angeles Times All-South Bay/Westside and South Bay Daily Breeze All-South Bay team … The All-Pioneer League Co-MVP ran for 1,549 yards on 140 carries (11.1 avg) with 23 touchdowns and caught 13 passes for 200 yards (15.4 avg) with two scores in 2002, despite missing five games with a knee injury … As a junior in 2001, he was named to the All-CIF Division X, Los Angeles Times All-South Bay, South Bay Daily Breeze All-South Bay and All-Ocean League first teams … That season, he gained 1,975 yards on 225 carries (8.8 avg) with 26 touchdowns, plus had 22 catches for 273 yards (12.4 avg) with two scores and returned 10 kickoffs for 324 yards (32.4 avg) … As a sophomore in 2000, Washington made the All-Ocean League first team as he rushed for 1,548 yards on 179 carries (8.6 avg) … Also competed for South Torrance's soccer and track (with a best of 10.5 seconds in the 100 meters) teams.

Personal
    Sociology major … Born 4/29/86 … Resides in Torrance, California.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Johnny Hector;3509030]Didn't we get him from Dallas's practice squad ?[/QUOTE]

Yes on December 15th...

[url]http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2009/12/ny_jets_sign_rb_chauncey_washi.html[/url]

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    If he makes the final 53, it will be really confusing to defenses not knowing which Washington is in the backfield on a given play

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=regen;3508926]Yes, a pal of mine from Wisconsin and a sick Packers fan said Washington acted like a prima donna on THE PRACTICE SQUAD and nobody was sorry to see him go when Tanny scooped him up. Oh, and he was a borderline felon at USC. Great high school prospect, too much attitude, never worked hard, thought school was a joke and he was entitled to the world.

The talent is there but Rex and the guys are going to have to knock the attitude out of him on the practice field. No way Tanny is counting him as our third back- not with Danny Boy there already. If Washington is going to make the team he better play well for Westhof on special teams.[/QUOTE]
    Hrrm... So many Washingtons and so few practice squads. Maybe they all look the same or something.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Add this from his Pro Day. Didn't realize he had that kind of speed.

Runs with tremendous power with a striking blend of speed. Shows great vision in following the holes. Is too powerful to be tackled with arm tackles, and usually must be gang tackled. Was very persistent in his career, with 2 seasons lost to being academically ineligible, and 2 starting seasons nearly lost to nagging injuries. Had his best game on a rainy day in Berkeley against the Cal Bears. Basically willed the Trojans to victory after a 29 carry 220 yard effort. Tested very well at USC's pro day, [B]running an astounding 4.35 40 time and 18 bench press reps.[/B]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    What intrigues me is he was on Jacksonville and Dallas's Practice Squads the last couple years.....

Two teams that were stocked at RB at the time, Jacksonville had Fred Taylor, Maurice Jones-Drew, Greg Jones. Dallas had Marion Barber, Felix Jones, Tashard Choice. Both teams seem to have a good idea on picking Runningbacks, they just didn't have the roster space for someone like Washington. It could just be a case where he lost a numbers game behind some very talented backs, and we were there to take advantage of it.

With that said, unfortunately, we really haven't seen enough of him to hand him the job. So I still expect someone to at least push him.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ven0m;3509499]What intrigues me is he was on Jacksonville and Dallas's Practice Squads the last couple years.....

Two teams that were stocked at RB at the time, Jacksonville had Fred Taylor, Maurice Jones-Drew, Greg Jones. Dallas had Marion Barber, Felix Jones, Tashard Choice. Both teams seem to have a good idea on picking Runningbacks, they just didn't have the roster space for someone like Washington. It could just be a case where he lost a numbers game behind some very talented backs, and we were there to take advantage of it.

With that said, unfortunately, we really haven't seen enough of him to hand him the job. So I still expect someone to at least push him.[/QUOTE]

1 positive is that the Jets signed him Dec 15th. So they had approx 6 weeks to look at him in practices, meetings etc to still like him enough to keep him, at least so far.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;3509420]If he makes the final 53, it will be really confusing to defenses not knowing which Washington is in the backfield on a given play[/QUOTE]

lol i wouldnt be surprised if thats why he's there

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    you guys always think these Practice Squad guys are gonna save the day.. Washington Was the most highly touted RB USC had on there roster. and was far from ever being the best.

he couldnt land the backup job to MJD . after fred taylor got let go i doubt he makes any serious impact here.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    He is a very interesting character. It isn’t really about what we think of him, it’s what Rex and Tanny think of him.

Tannenbaum surprised me last week in an interview from Indy. While praising Joey Clinkscale and Bradway, he mentioned some good unheralded players they had brought in. On his list he mentioned Westerman, Devito, and Washington.

I was very surprised at the Washington reference, as the guy really hasn’t done anything at all. I thought at the time he must be impressing the CS a lot to get on that list.

I can’t say I know much about the guy, don’t watch much west Coast NCAA, but when a 220 pound guy runs a 4:35 forty I’m impressed

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=EM31;3509433]Hrrm... So many Washingtons and so few practice squads. Maybe they all look the same or something.[/QUOTE]

My Packer buddy lives in LA and drinks too much. His memory of Chauncey's college days seems accurate enough- self-entitled underacheiver who benefited from a pro offensive line in college. No way he beats out Woodhead, who is Tanny's fave for the job.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Chauncey can improve upon his attitude with the Jets, I can picture him being a really productive back behind our Jets O-Line; the man has talent and I also enjoy his style of rushing... Smash Mouth.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxU-JLvTBuY[/url]

For his overall size, he really has a solid mixture of Power, Speed and Quickness. He passes the eye test, he really seems like a no B.S type of runner, a runner who hits the hole and explodes for each and every yard he gets.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;3509420]If he makes the final 53, it will be really confusing to defenses not knowing which Washington is in the backfield on a given play[/QUOTE]

this isnt madden, they're gonna know hahha

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    he was the only guy on the team who could catch reggie bush from behind. no joke.

also, dallas has awesome running back depth as SC had w lendale from glendale and Bush

I already know C Washington would do fine if he puts in the time in otas and mini camp. I was excited when I found he was on the P squad.

PS I'm an SC fan