Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modified OT Rule?

Modified OT Rule?

Did anyone see this?

[url]http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/28/sports/football/28nfl.html[/url]
    Unlikely to happen, but at least they are considering it.

[QUOTE]The N.F.L. could take the first steps toward changing its controversial overtime rules when the competition committee considers a rule that would give both teams a possession in overtime unless the team that receives the ball first scores a touchdown on the opening drive.

If it is approved, the rule, called “modified sudden death,” could be used in next year’s playoff games. The intent is to prevent a team from winning on a long field goal without giving the other team a possession, the way the New Orleans Saints beat the Minnesota Vikings in the N.F.C. championship game.

A rules change would have to be approved by at least 24 of the 32 owners during the league meetings in Orlando, Fla., in March. Approval seems like a long shot. During his pre-Super Bowl news conference, Commissioner Roger Goodell indicated the level of ambivalence about a rules change among owners and players.[/QUOTE]

No rules change necessary.

Favre shouldn't have thrown that pick at the end of the 4th.

They'd have been headed to the Superbowl. Problem solved.

Instead of looking at this, the league should be reviewing some of the PI calls/holding calls from that game :rolleyes:

Veteran
    In the college ranks I can understand the change in OT.

But the pros are the pros. Lose the coin toss play freaking D and stop the offense. If not lose the game and move on.

:zzz: My kid asked me to add the sleeping face. :D

I think the rules are fine the way they are. The league is always trying to tinker with crap to make it more like what the owners want to see but in the end most of the rule changes (outside of safety) have been foolish and only promote more scoring.

Jets Insider VIP
    I think it would be a good change. Might force teams to go for six instead of kicking the chipshot fieldgoal and that would make things more interesting.

Honestly it would shift the thought process of not just trying to go for a FG and push to score but we really don't want to get into a situation where this is like basketball and teams just keep scoring until someone finishes with more points.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=I against I;3509376]In the college ranks I can understand the change in OT.

[B]But the pros are the pros. Lose the coin toss play freaking D and stop the offense. If not lose the game and move on. [/B]

:zzz: My kid asked me to add the sleeping face. :D[/QUOTE]

That's it right there. Everyone man-up and do your job, even above and beyond if you have it in you. It's very Darwinian, step-up and survive or don't and die.

All League
    I hate the NFL overtime rules, this sounds like an improvement.

All Pro
    It seems like they are heading in the right direction.

First team to score 6 points in overtime wins. Keep everything else the same.

People are thinking about this the wrong way

The problem with overtime rules is not the format of a football game. While college changes the game in overtime, the pros do not and that is really a good thing. The problem with the pro system is that whoever gets the ball in overtime is based purely on blind luck. Possession is decided by a coin flip. I think if you want to fix the overtime in the NFL get ride of the coin flip and determine possession based on momentum and talent rather than luck. The ball should be placed on the 30 yard line, the spot of the kickoff, and each team elects a player to start at the other 30 yard line at one of the two hash marks. The ref would blow the whistle and the first player to get the ball gets the ball in overtime. This way if you lose in overtime its your own fault because you at least had a chance to win. I hope people give some thought to this kind of reform rather than this 'we both need to be on offense' mantra that I hear everyday.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=parafly;3509551]It seems like they are heading in the right direction.

First team to score 6 points in overtime wins. Keep everything else the same.[/QUOTE]

I like this the best.

Have the regular season remain the same, but do not allow field goals in the playoffs in OT.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=jefethegreat;3509582]The problem with overtime rules is not the format of a football game. While college changes the game in overtime, the pros do not and that is really a good thing. The problem with the pro system is that whoever gets the ball in overtime is based purely on blind luck. Possession is decided by a coin flip. I think if you want to fix the overtime in the NFL get ride of the coin flip and determine possession based on momentum and talent rather than luck. The ball should be placed on the 30 yard line, the spot of the kickoff, and each team elects a player to start at the other 30 yard line at one of the two hash marks. The ref would blow the whistle and the first player to get the ball gets the ball in overtime. This way if you lose in overtime its your own fault because you at least had a chance to win. I hope people give some thought to this kind of reform rather than this 'we both need to be on offense' mantra that I hear everyday.[/QUOTE]

Thanks XFL.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=jefethegreat;3509582]The problem with overtime rules is not the format of a football game. While college changes the game in overtime, the pros do not and that is really a good thing. The problem with the pro system is that whoever gets the ball in overtime is based purely on blind luck. Possession is decided by a coin flip. I think if you want to fix the overtime in the NFL get ride of the coin flip and determine possession based on momentum and talent rather than luck. The ball should be placed on the 30 yard line, the spot of the kickoff, and each team elects a player to start at the other 30 yard line at one of the two hash marks. The ref would blow the whistle and the first player to get the ball gets the ball in overtime. This way if you lose in overtime its your own fault because you at least had a chance to win. I hope people give some thought to this kind of reform rather than this 'we both need to be on offense' mantra that I hear everyday.[/QUOTE]

lol you're kidding, right?

Jets Insider VIP
    good idea jefe

I also think they should have guys with portable cameras on the field behind the offensive formation and players should be allowed to use nicknames like "HE HATE ME" instead of their real names and have them sewn on their uniforms

All League
    A funny take on this:

[URL="http://www.youblogtowinthegame.com/?p=635"]http://www.youblogtowinthegame.com/?p=635[/URL]

Hall Of Fame
    home of the hot guy in my avatar.. oh baby!
    [QUOTE=I against I;3509376]In the college ranks I can understand the change in OT.

But the pros are the pros. [B]Lose the coin toss play freaking D and stop the offense. If not lose the game and move on. [/B]

:zzz: My kid asked me to add the sleeping face. :D[/QUOTE]

you are absolutely correct.

this wouldnt even be an issue if someone like sanchez or some other qb didnt get a chance to touch the ball in overtime. its only brought up when favre, peyton or brady doesnt get a chance to touch the ball in overtime.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=BigBensAngel7;3509836]you are absolutely correct.

this wouldnt even be an issue if someone like sanchez or some other qb didnt get a chance to touch the ball in overtime. [B]its only brought up when favre, peyton or brady doesnt get a chance to touch the ball in overtime.[/B][/QUOTE]

And you don't think it's a valid concern that a team's best player won't get to touch the field during the deciding period -- all because of a coin flip?

It doesn't make any sense to me for a game that is played equally for 60 minutes to be decided by a coin toss.

For those of you who say "play defense blah blah blah" keep in mind that the Colts, Chargers, Saints and other teams with high powered offenses usually find themselves in OT [B][I]because they can't play D.[/I][/B]

The system is flawed, which is why they're going to change it.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=parafly;3509551]It seems like they are heading in the right direction.

First team to score 6 points in overtime wins. Keep everything else the same.[/QUOTE]

+1

All League
    [QUOTE=I against I;3509376]

[B]But the pros are the pros. Lose the coin toss play freaking D and stop the offense. If not lose the game and move on. [/B]

[/QUOTE]

I've never been in favor of changing the overtime rules -- but I'm now moving towards being in favor of at least considering making it first team to score 6 points.

In the old days it was fine to say "play freaking D". But the game has changed considerably in the last 20 years, and almost all the changes favor offense. Combine those changes with two Special Teams changes that also favor scoring -- kicking off from further back, and the fact that kickers have stronger legs and are more accurate than ever -- and you really need some luck to win in OT if you lose the coin flip. Teams realistically now probably only have to move 30 - 35 yards on average to be in field goal range. One pretty big play -- or penalty -- and the game is basically over.

Yeah, I think it's time to consider a change. Nothing gimmicky like college -- but the first to 6 seems like a decent idea.

Hall Of Fame
    home of the hot guy in my avatar.. oh baby!
    [QUOTE=TheMikeIsHot;3509851][B]And you don't think it's a valid concern that a team's best player won't get to touch the field during the deciding period -- all because of a coin flip?[/B]

It doesn't make any sense to me for a game that is played equally for 60 minutes to be decided by a coin toss.

For those of you who say "play defense blah blah blah" keep in mind that the Colts, Chargers, Saints and other teams with high powered offenses usually find themselves in OT [B][I]because they can't play D.[/I][/B]

The system is flawed, which is why they're going to change it.[/QUOTE]
    all i am saying is that if it was trent edwards that didnt get a chance to touch the ball there would not be a media outcry like there is with favre or peyton.

for those high power offense teams maybe they should learn to play better defense. you should have a balance team, one that can play both offense and defense..

i am willing to give the new rules a try