Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: jerry hughes..what do you think of him?

  1. #1

    jerry hughes..what do you think of him?

    why isnt this guy talked about more around here? he didnt attend the senior bowl for some reason. put up decent numbers at the combine. definatley see him going late first/early second at this point. would definatley take him at 29 if he is there. he ran just below a 4.6 which is pretty decent. measured in at a hair below 6"2. did he participate in LB drills at the combine? one of the better 3-4 OLB tweeners there is i feel.

  2. #2
    great player... fast.. a little undersized.. he missed the senior bowl for no real reason just "big timing it"

  3. #3

    Wink

    he measured in at 6"2 255 and you mention he is fast with a 4.59 40. do you think hes better suited for 3-4 OLB or 4-3 DE? what seperates him and graham?
    Last edited by jagr68; 03-01-2010 at 06:13 PM.

  4. #4
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    31,408
    Quote Originally Posted by jagr68 View Post
    he measured in at 6"2 255 and you mention he is fast with a 4.59 40. do you think hes better suited for 3-4 OLB or 4-3 DE? what seperates him and graham?
    a little slower than that....really wasn't all that in drills...the guy who stood out was Ricky Sapp, hands down....

  5. #5
    Scouts Inc. grades Hughes out as a late 2nd/early 3rd round pick, though he sounds like a mid-2nd rounder based on their details below:

    Instincts/Recognition
    Elite combination of quickness and closing speed. Uses hands to keep blockers off frame and showed a wide variety of pass rush moves during film evaluation. Extremely effective setting up tackles to the outside before ripping/spinning inside.

    Strength/Toughness
    "Can get to the quarterback when lines up with hand in the dirt or lined up as a 3-4 rush linebacker. Displays enough athleticism to spot drop into coverage. However, much more fluid coming forward than going backwards and he may never develop functional man-to-man cover skills if moved to linebacker. "

    Range vs. Run
    "Lack of prototypical size and strength raise questions about ability to set the edge at the NFL level if asked to line up at end. However, sifts through traffic well and can close quickly when chasing from the backside. Strong tackler that breaks down in the open field. "

    Tackling
    Exceptionally high motor and relentless in pursuit. Diagnostic skills are above average. Disciplined. Stays at home against misdirection and closes down cutback lanes.

  6. #6
    First round OLB? I think some people are dreaming that we will take an OLB this high if at all this draft.

    How much money do we have wrapped up in this position already? Pace is solid, Thomas is no slouch, Gholston is getting another year with more playing time and we have guys like Westerman that may surprise. And we look at Travis LaBoy which shows that we might be looking at a cheaper option for a situational pass rusher.

    I get that people want more sacks but I don't see OLB in the cards and am surprised with how many people think we should go OLB in the first round.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfaneh View Post
    First round OLB? I think some people are dreaming that we will take an OLB this high if at all this draft.

    How much money do we have wrapped up in this position already? Pace is solid, Thomas is no slouch, Gholston is getting another year with more playing time and we have guys like Westerman that may surprise. And we look at Travis LaBoy which shows that we might be looking at a cheaper option for a situational pass rusher.

    I get that people want more sacks but I don't see OLB in the cards and am surprised with how many people think we should go OLB in the first round.
    +1

    OLB is a want. It's the only position we have young, possibly starter talent depth and/or money behind the starters.

    That plus Everson Griffen, Hardy, or Graham are better players.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 03-01-2010 at 11:09 PM.

  8. #8
    he's on my short list of picks at 29, and has been for a while.

    he can bend the edge like no one we've had since abe.

  9. #9
    Very underrated prospect, I get the sense.....

    High end pass rusher who is well built for a 3-4 OLB spot. I do think he's a bit of a reach at #29 though, but would be a great trade-down target or a steal at our 2nd round pick.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfaneh View Post
    First round OLB? I think some people are dreaming that we will take an OLB this high if at all this draft.

    How much money do we have wrapped up in this position already? Pace is solid, Thomas is no slouch, Gholston is getting another year with more playing time and we have guys like Westerman that may surprise. And we look at Travis LaBoy which shows that we might be looking at a cheaper option for a situational pass rusher.

    I get that people want more sacks but I don't see OLB in the cards and am surprised with how many people think we should go OLB in the first round.
    It doesn't matter how much money we put into it if it's still not suitably addressed. We don't get enough of a pass rush, and because of which we overly rely on the overload blitzes.

    Thomas is a 2 down player because he can't generate a pass rush.
    Gholston is looking like a bust.
    Westerman hasn't made a damn bit of noise since Training Camp. Potential Starter Gato? What the **** has he ever done to earn that title?

    If you think these guys are going to stand in the way of us bringing in a potentially elite pass rusher if he's available, you're kidding yourself.

  11. #11
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,105
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    It doesn't matter how much money we put into it if it's still not suitably addressed. We don't get enough of a pass rush, and because of which we overly rely on the overload blitzes.

    Thomas is a 2 down player because he can't generate a pass rush.
    Gholston is looking like a bust.
    Westerman hasn't made a damn bit of noise since Training Camp. Potential Starter Gato? What the **** has he ever done to earn that title?

    If you think these guys are going to stand in the way of us bringing in a potentially elite pass rusher if he's available, you're kidding yourself.
    Kidding yourself is believing than an elite pass rusher would be available at 29 in a passing league.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Kidding yourself is believing than an elite pass rusher would be available at 29 in a passing league.
    Look through the league today....

    There were 14 double digit sack men last year.

    Among them...

    Elvis Dumervil - 4th round pick
    Jared Allen - 4th round pick
    Lamarr Woodley - 2nd round pick
    Trent Cole - 5th round pick
    Tully Banta-Cain - 7th round pick
    James Harrison - Undrafted
    Aaron Schobel - 2nd round pick

    So exactly half of them were found past the 1st round.

    I'm not saying it's easy. Sure, we'd all love to be picking earlier. But it can be done and that's what our scouting department is for, to find those diamonds in the rough.

  13. #13
    Potential Starter Gato? What the **** has he ever done to earn that title?
    Like...4-5 years down the road. I thought I said that. Probably only for this team too...

    Gholston...well I think he can be that youth we're looking for next year. Just a gut feel that by mid-season he's fighting for Thomas' job. That really can't be defended, but he's talented enough for it to happen.

  14. #14
    Hughes looked very smooth running and changing direction as expected. Former halfback afterall.

  15. #15
    I'm going to make a wild speculation. Hughes team mate Washington is going to get draft before Hughes.

  16. #16
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    the 80s
    Posts
    8,243
    I thought Lamarr houston owned Hughes in some respects. I'd take him over Hughes. More scheme versatility with Houston.

  17. #17
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    27,717
    Kyle Wilson
    Jared Odrick
    Jerry Hughes


    I'm hoping one of those guys is around at #29. Wilson seems like the longshot out of the group.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Kyle Wilson
    Jared Odrick
    Jerry Hughes


    I'm hoping one of those guys is around at #29. Wilson seems like the longshot out of the group.
    love kyle wilson but can leave the other guys... the Jets defense was #1 and their pass rush was #17 in sacks.

    Meanwhile their passing offense was 31st and they have exactly 1 cornerback on the roster worth talking about.

    in other words i think DL and OLB are luxury picks... not need picks.

  19. #19
    I can't believe Hughes isn't talked about anymore as a 1st rounder.

  20. #20
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    27,717
    Quote Originally Posted by gangGREENinsider View Post
    I can't believe Hughes isn't talked about anymore as a 1st rounder.
    Hughes and Odrick, two guys who we should be talking a lot more about. Both are fringe 1st round picks and both would fill an area of need.

    I personally don't see why so many are down on Odrick and have completely ruled him out. We're old as the hills along the D-line and we could use an upgrade at RE. Guys like Douglas and DeVito are serviceable but they aren't ideal starters. This will also most likely be Ellis' last year with the team. I don't see Odrick as a dominant prospect but I could see him developing into a very good player in the Ty Warren mold.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us