Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ESPN Insider: Jets in running for Brandon Marshall

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    huge brandon marshall fan here... but he's not a good fit for us. we don't give up 2 picks for Edwards, only to turn around and trade for Marshall. You don't like Edwards? well, that's too bad. he's going to be our '#1' guy and will be resigned next year to a long term team. Cotch is a great #2.. what we need is a slot/#3 type .. not a #1 who's going to demand a huge contract. If the Jets never traded for Edwards.. sure it makes sense.. not so much now.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;3514046]
    Have you guys given up on this kid already? Everyone likes to b*tch about the dropped balls, forgetting that Marshall is neck and neck with Braylon in that category every year.[/QUOTE]

Who says signing Marshall means giving up on Braylon. He will in the mix next season.
    But the JETS need another receiver that can run outside the numbers to give their offense a chance of having a good chance of succeeding.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=IHATEDOLPHINS;3514031]Giving up the number 29 overall is not bad might be worth doing but...

He can be trouble
    it will take a huge contract to get it done..how does that work when the cap comes back
    maybe we sign Marshall and trade Edwards?

I say stay pat draft wr in the first 2 rounds.[/QUOTE]

I was under the impression ( and someone can correct me if i am wrong) that players signed during uncapped year will only count atmost 5 mill against the cap number. That's not too huge for a #1 quality receiver.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Boynton Beach Jets;3513779]Could help Woody sell PSL's[/QUOTE]

Now you are thinking....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If we put Edwards and Marshall in the same run heavy offense, then it is only a question of time when one of them starts to complain about passes thrown his way. Marshall comes from a short, quick passing game where he saw a ton of balls go his way. We don't operate this way and I think he would have a problem with it...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=shuler82;3514083]huge brandon marshall fan here... but he's not a good fit for us. we don't give up 2 picks for Edwards, only to turn around and trade for Marshall. You don't like Edwards? well, that's too bad. he's going to be our '#1' guy and will be resigned next year to a long term team. Cotch is a great #2.. what we need is a slot/#3 type .. not a #1 who's going to demand a huge contract. If the Jets never traded for Edwards.. sure it makes sense.. not so much now.[/QUOTE]

how about this. trade for marshall. have edwards and marshall for 1 year. let edwards go next year and draft a slot reciever to complement marshall and cotch. how is this a bad plan?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;3513818]If we're going to [B]give up a high pick in a trade scenario, then do it for a cornerback [/B]or a passrusher, not a goddamn WR![/QUOTE]

And it wasn't even a high pick :yes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    We were only run heavy because of having a rookie QB. Rex and Brian do NOT want to be running the ball and have publicly stated the need to be more balanced. Look at the teams in the Super Bowl. Both were prolific passing offenses. You wanna win in this league? You get Marshall and now this offense is literally unstoppable. Then now with Cromartie joining... this team could go undefeated and that's not an exaggeration.

Seriously, I'd poop my pants if we got Marshall for our 2nd round pick. I'd like to trade Rhodes to them straight up. They have an aging Dawkins back there and nothing else. Match him up with Rhodes... that will give them quality back and we wouldn't have to trade a high pick with it.

Anyone complaining about trading picks needs to realize it's the equivalent of drafting those players. We gave up peanuts really for Braylon. We gave up peanuts for Cro. We're probably gonna lose a high pick to Brandon Marshall but there's no denying that he's arguably the most talented WR in the league. IMO, he is the best. His run after the catch is unmatched. His catching and leaping ability is crazy. He's great. I'd trade our 1st rounder for him straight up but it sounds like they'll take less and now we're interested. I like it.

People realize that our window is closing fast. The OLine is older with Faneca and Woody about maxing it out. Our DLine is getting to that point too. 2010 might be our BEST chance at a Super Bowl. IMO, you sell out right now for that. Especially with a lockout looming in 2011.

Seriously, imagine lining up Brandon Marshall and Braylon the outsides and letting Cotchery run free on the insides just eating up the middle of the field with Keller and Shonn Greene roaring out of the backfield. That's unstoppable offense right there. Seriously. This has really got me excited.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southside;3515057]We were only run heavy because of having a rookie QB. Rex and Brian do NOT want to be running the ball and have publicly stated the need to be more balanced. Look at the teams in the Super Bowl. Both were prolific passing offenses. You wanna win in this league? You get Marshall and now this offense is literally unstoppable. Then now with Cromartie joining... this team could go undefeated and that's not an exaggeration.

Seriously, I'd poop my pants if we got Marshall for our 2nd round pick. I'd like to trade Rhodes to them straight up. They have an aging Dawkins back there and nothing else. Match him up with Rhodes... that will give them quality back and we wouldn't have to trade a high pick with it.

Anyone complaining about trading picks needs to realize it's the equivalent of drafting those players. We gave up peanuts really for Braylon. We gave up peanuts for Cro. We're probably gonna lose a high pick to Brandon Marshall but there's no denying that he's arguably the most talented WR in the league. IMO, he is the best. His run after the catch is unmatched. His catching and leaping ability is crazy. He's great. I'd trade our 1st rounder for him straight up but it sounds like they'll take less and now we're interested. I like it.

People realize that our window is closing fast. The OLine is older with Faneca and Woody about maxing it out. Our DLine is getting to that point too. 2010 might be our BEST chance at a Super Bowl. IMO, you sell out right now for that. Especially with a lockout looming in 2011.

Seriously, imagine lining up Brandon Marshall and Braylon the outsides and letting Cotchery run free on the insides just eating up the middle of the field with Keller and Shonn Greene roaring out of the backfield. That's unstoppable offense right there. Seriously. This has really got me excited.[/QUOTE]

i've been saying this for months. what the hell is the #29 pick vs probably the best wr in the league while he's young and in his prime?

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, I'll play along in fantasyland. I assume if we got Marshall, then Edwards would be gone? If memory serves me, I think Edwards was in his final year of his contract?

I really like Marshall, but we do have other, more pressing needs I think.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [url]https://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter[/url]

[LIST=1][*] Filed to ESPN: Seattle is strongly considering signing Broncos restricted free-agent WR Brandon Marshall. A huge move. [URL="https://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/status/10038481065"] 7 minutes ago [/URL] via [URL="http://ubertwitter.com/"]UberTwitter[/URL][/LIST]

[LIST=1][*] If Seattle signs Brandon Marshall to the offer sheet, Broncos would have seven days to match -- or get back the draft's sixth overall pick. [URL="https://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/status/10038631889"] 3 minutes ago [/URL] via web [/LIST]

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Wiggy;3515205][url]https://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter[/url]

[LIST=1][*] Filed to ESPN: Seattle is strongly considering signing Broncos restricted free-agent WR Brandon Marshall. A huge move. [URL="https://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/status/10038481065"] 7 minutes ago [/URL] via [URL="http://ubertwitter.com/"]UberTwitter[/URL][/LIST]

[LIST=1][*] If Seattle signs Brandon Marshall to the offer sheet, Broncos would have seven days to match -- or get back the draft's sixth overall pick. [URL="https://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/status/10038631889"] 3 minutes ago [/URL] via web [/LIST][/QUOTE]

Pete Carol would be nuts if he did that.

Besides, the Maddenites are the only ones who want Marshall.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetsFanInDenver;3514089]Who says signing Marshall means giving up on Braylon. He will in the mix next season.
    But the JETS need another receiver that can run outside the numbers to give their offense a chance of having a good chance of succeeding.[/QUOTE]

You honestly think the Jets are dishing out huge contracts to both Marshall and Edwards? Of course bringing in Marshall means you're giving up on Braylon.

Also factor in that Marshall is a dick of massive proportions. All kinds of off the field problems, is hated by his teammates in Denver, and didn't even care about playing when their season was on the line at the end of last year. He also drops just about as many balls as Braylon does. In short, the guy is a cancer of the highest order.

We need a slot receiver. A quick, shifty guy who will go out and catch 40 passes a season and keep his mouth shut. That's not Brandon Marshall.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;3515230]You honestly think the Jets are dishing out huge contracts to both Marshall and Edwards? Of course bringing in Marshall means you're giving up on Braylon.[/QUOTE]

That's your presumption. This is an uncapped year.

[QUOTE=Untouchable;3515230]
    He also drops just about as many balls as Braylon does.
    [/QUOTE]

I have not see stats so i cannot say for sure. Care to back up your statement with stats.

[QUOTE=Untouchable;3515230]
    We need a slot receiver. A quick, shifty guy who will go out and catch 40 passes a season and keep his mouth shut. That's not Brandon Marshall.[/QUOTE]

True. If we have Marshall and Edwards on the flanks, Cotchery will be a huge upgrade at slot.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetsFanInDenver;3515329]That's your presumption. This is an uncapped year.[/Quote]

Yeah, THIS YEAR is an uncapped year. The cap is coming back buddy, trust me.

[QUOTE]I have not see stats so i cannot say for sure. Care to back up your statement with stats.[/QUOTE]

Someone just posted them yesterday. In 2008, Braylon lead the league in drops with 16 and Marshall wasn't far behind with 12.

[QUOTE]True. If we have Marshall and Edwards on the flanks, Cotchery will be a huge upgrade at slot.[/QUOTE]

No, what would be better is putting our 1st round pick to better use and picking up someone in the draft like Gilyard, McCluster, or Shipley to handle those duties.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Brandon Marshall has to be one of the top 5 easiest "no" on this board ever. Not only is he overrated, but he's an a-hole. It's really not that hard of a choice with Cotchery, Edwards, and Keller here.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;3515343]Yeah, THIS YEAR is an uncapped year. The cap is coming back buddy, trust me.

Someone just posted them yesterday. In 2008, Braylon lead the league in drops with 16 and Marshall wasn't far behind with 12.

No, what would be better is putting our 1st round pick to better use and picking up someone in the draft like Gilyard, McCluster, or Shipley to handle those duties.[/QUOTE]

To be fair, Brandon Marshall was targeted more than any other receiver that year by far though. And when Jay Cutler is throwing some of those passes you're gonna be on the edge of dropping a few of them because he just makes some crazy insane passes that you're just not expecting to get to you. Brandon is like a cat when he goes into the air to get the ball. Really crazy good body control. I'd love to have him, sounds like the Seahawks are looking to sign him though. I really don't like that franchise.

[QUOTE=SenorGato;3515352]Brandon Marshall has to be one of the top 5 easiest "no" on this board ever. Not only is he overrated, but he's an a-hole. It's really not that hard of a choice with Cotchery, Edwards, and Keller here.[/QUOTE]

How is he over rated? You're just making an emotional statement and going against the grain like you always do. If you even watched football you'd know that kid is an extremely talented football player. Over rated? No. He might be a prick but he's definitely one of the top WRs in the league.
    Last edited by southside; 03-05-2010 at 03:41 PM.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;3515343]Yeah, THIS YEAR is an uncapped year. The cap is coming back buddy, trust me.[/QUOTE]
    From what i hear the player signed this year would count only so much against next years cap( like max 5 mill. Someone correct me if i am wrong).

[QUOTE=Untouchable;3515343]Someone just posted them yesterday. In 2008, Braylon lead the league in drops with 16 and Marshall wasn't far behind with 12.[/QUOTE]
    Whats the percentage of drops? if you are thrown to 20 times and you drop 12 is different that if you are thrown to 100 times and you drop 12.

[QUOTE=Untouchable;3515343]No, what would be better is putting our 1st round pick to better use and picking up someone in the draft like Gilyard, McCluster, or Shipley to handle those duties.[/QUOTE]
    All good college players but unproven at NFL level. On the other hand you have a proven beast of a WR available. No wonder Seahawks are ready to tender one of their 1st round picks for him.
    Last edited by JetsFanInDenver; 03-05-2010 at 03:45 PM.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3515352]Brandon Marshall has to be one of the top 5 easiest "no" on this board ever. Not only is he overrated, but he's an a-hole. It's really not that hard of a choice with Cotchery, Edwards, and Keller here.[/QUOTE]

How is he overrated ? He has got 3 consecutive 1000+ yard seasons playing with 2 different QB's under 2 different Head Coaches.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetsFanInDenver;3515369]How is he overrated ? He has got 3 consecutive 1000+ yard seasons playing with 2 different QB's under 2 different Head Coaches.[/QUOTE]

He's not overrated.

He's a f*cking basket case that you would HOPE shut off his diva attitude and penchant to beat women.

It's not even debatable. If we didn't have Braylon, we'd obviously discuss the possibility but with this years draft and our only position of need at WR #3 it shouldn't even be discussed.