Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bucky Brooks: Jets D "Scary Good" with Cromartie

Bucky Brooks: Jets D "Scary Good" with Cromartie

Thought this deserved it's own thread ;)

[quote]Brooks: Jets’ D now ’scary good’ with Cromartie

The Jets’ acquisition of former Pro Bowl CB Antonio Cromartie should make their No.1 defense scary good in 2010.

The fifth-year pro from Florida State will team with Pro Bowler Darrelle Revis to form one of the top cornerback tandems in the NFL. Although Cromartie’s play during the past two seasons has been far from stellar due to injuries and inconsistent concentration, he has flashed “lock down” corner potential when he has been on his game.

At 6-foot-2 and 203 pounds, Cromartie is a freakish athlete with outstanding ball skills and instincts. He has the length to challenge receivers at the line of scrimmage, and possesses the exceptional speed to run with swift pass catchers down the field. Given his impressive physical tools, the Jets will undoubtedly incorporate more “press” coverage into their game plan.

[b]In having a discussion with a few of the Jets’ coaches about Cromartie over the weekend, they marveled at his extraordinary talent, [i][u]but wondered why the Chargers rarely allowed the former Pro Bowler to play “bump-and-run” at the line of scrimmage.

In their estimation, the Chargers’ scheme didn’t suit the strengths of Cromartie’s game, as they repeatedly had him positioned at seven yards off the ball and forced him to play from “off” coverage.[/u][/i] Though Cromartie picked off 15 passes in four seasons in that scheme, his athleticism and ball skills gives him a chance to blossom into a superstar in Rex Ryan’s system.[/b]

With teams growing wary of testing Revis through the air, Cromartie will get plenty of chances to prove that he is the elite cover man the Jets envision. If he proves up to the challenge, New York’s impenetrable defense could reign supreme again in 2010.[/quote]

[url]http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/03/05/brooks-jets-d-now-scary-good-with-cromartie/[/url]

Sounds like a fit for a Rex Ryan defense. ;)

Like I said in the other thread, Chargers played a Zone Cover-2 scheme the last 2 years, the Jets play physical man coverage.
    Last edited by Ven0m; 03-05-2010 at 03:12 AM.

Sounds good to me.

More and more excited by the hour!

This trade has me really excited. In this system, Revis/Cromartie can realistically become the best CB duo in all of football. Add to that what we gave in return and this trade is low risk, high reward. Not to mention that this is just another need filled prior to free agency and the draft. Another great move by Tanny. Can't wait to see how this team looks once the off-season is all said and done.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    When we get pressure on the QB, that will make them scary good, picks come from hurries and miscalculation not just CB skill, we need to light a fire under the opposition QB's ass up front, and with the 12th man. THis could get real good on D.

... p.s. - big jenk coming back for second helping of qb too!!! :eek: ... :rockon: ...

l_j_r

Jets Insider VIP
    SCARY GOOD

NOW SCARY BETTER!!!

All Pro
    Jenkins comes back, hopefully he stays healthy. Pace won't be suspended. Maybe, just maybe, Gholston can contribute. And they might even add another pass-rusher in the draft.

With some luck, this could be one of the best defenses of all-time.

[QUOTE=TheMikeIsHot;3514495]Jenkins comes back, hopefully he stays healthy. Pace won't be suspended. Maybe, just maybe, Gholston can contribute. And they might even add another pass-rusher in the draft.

With some luck, this could be one of the best defenses of all-time.[/QUOTE]

Relax there! We are not all that yet and have not won anything yet. And stop with the Gholston contributing...never going to happen.

All Pro
    Not to many pieces missing for Rex's defense, round 1 & 2 d-line and this defense is going to be real scary:yes:

Good read, thanks for posting. I'm hoping that their right in their assessment of Cromartie being misused. I hope the Jets coaching staff can get through to him on his lack of toughness and unwillingness to tackles. Lito was injured too much last season and couldn't stay on the field but one thing you never had to worry about when he was out there was him laying a hit on someone! :yes:

Jets Insider VIP
    Looks like we will be winning the fewest points allowed per game; maybe even most number of shutouts. :drool:

[QUOTE=TheMikeIsHot;3514495]Jenkins comes back, hopefully he stays healthy. Pace won't be suspended.[B] Maybe, just maybe, Gholston can contribute.[/B] And they might even add another pass-rusher in the draft.

With some luck, this could be one of the best defenses of all-time.[/QUOTE]

lol nothing like getting a little over excited. I love how like some articles have said, that the Jets are finally not those guys who pass on very talented players because they character issues. Gotta take a risk on guys like this...wouldv'e never happened in the old regime.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=FREEJET;3514517]Relax there! We are not all that yet and have not won anything yet. And stop with the Gholston contributing...never going to happen.[/QUOTE]

I'm never the Homer around here. In fact, I'm usually the "negative nancy" for my beliefs.

But here's what I see from last year's team:

-Jets had the #1 ranked defense in the NFL in 2009. While they didn't shut down everyone, they did keep the Super Bowl Champs to 17 points, no thanks to Sanchez. IMO, the Jets had the 2nd or 3rd most talented defensive team in the league.

-Most of their impact players on defense are young guys who are getting better every year. Revis, Harris, Rhodes and Pace are a nucleus that not may other teams match up with.

-Jenkins is one of the best NTs in the game and he missed the end of the year. Pouha and Green and Devito did a good job, but they just aren't KJ. The rotation was lacking it's best player.

-Lowery and Sheppard did a good job, but Lito was banged up and Lowery was forced to cover starting caliber WRs -- something he just can't do.

So with the addition of Cromartie, Lowery can do what he's here for, nickel and dime.

The better coverage will give the pass rush the extra second they need to actually get the sack. How many times last year did they get there just a fraction of a second late? That changes the whole complexion of the down/distance and plays right into the strength of the D.

The only thing separating the '09 Jets D from greatness was sacks and turnovers. Something that Cromartie can really help with. We've all seen the gravity defying INTs he's made over the years. If his coverage in a press-man scheme is as good as Ryan and Tanny think it is, the QB will have nowhere to throw the ball.

Ok I am starting to come around on Cromartie...I trust Rex will get the best out of him and do not discount Revis trying to show Cro how to prepare and study...

Schluberator & Gadfly
    The term "freakish athlete" concerns me. I keep having Gholston nightmares.

[QUOTE=chesapeakejet;3514705]The term "freakish athlete" concerns me. I keep having Gholston nightmares.[/QUOTE]

Cromartie has played and produced at the NFL level.

[QUOTE=chesapeakejet;3514705]The term "freakish athlete" concerns me. I keep having Gholston nightmares.[/QUOTE]

Was this post supposed to be in the Pierre paul thread?

Cromartie was ALL PRO in the NFL.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=TheMikeIsHot;3514495]Jenkins comes back, hopefully he stays healthy. Pace won't be suspended. Maybe, just maybe, Gholston can contribute. And they might even add another pass-rusher in the draft.

[B]With some luck, this could be one of the best defenses of all-time[/B].[/QUOTE]

Lol, i love it

Schluberator & Gadfly
    [QUOTE=C Mart;3514709]Cromartie has played and produced at the NFL level.[/QUOTE]

Just in general, that term "freakish athlete" leaves me with a bad opinion.

Maybe it's b/c it's starting to be overused by the media.

In anycase, I think Cromart will do well with us.