Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coach Ryan calls Cromartie a difference maker

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

Coach Ryan calls Cromartie a difference maker

Link:

[url]http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/11193/ryan-on-cromartie-hes-a-difference-maker[/url]

Article:
    New York Jets coach Rex Ryan has weighed in on the trade that brought cornerback Antonio Cromartie to his roster.

Cromartie
    Cromartie
    Guess what?

He likes it.

Quite a bit, actually.

"He's got great man cover skills that are unusual," Ryan said in a statement released by the Jets. "It's rare to see a corner with his ball skills. He's a difference-maker.

"There's an old saying when you evaluate corners: 'Can they find it? Can they catch it?' And he can do all that. He's got long arms where he can press you at the line of scrimmage. He'll fit perfectly into our system."

Ryan claimed Cromartie's athleticism will allow the Jets to camouflage their defenses better by allowing them to move All-Pro cornerback Darrelle Revis off the opposition's top target. Stealth is a major component to Ryan's aggressive 3-4 defense. The fewer tells they exhibit before the snap, the more dangerous they become.

"Now we don't necessarily have to always put Revis on the toughest guy," Ryan said. "We can switch it up. This pair gives us even more options on defense. We should be able to disguise what we're doing a little better than we've done in the past.

"He's going to be a huge, huge addition for us because what he's going to bring to the table from a physical standpoint is going to be tremendous. He's got some unbelievable gifts, and we're just fortunate to have him on our team. When you combine him with the players that we already have, we're going to be really tough on defense."

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I believe he's getting at 'You'll see more 'big play' ability out of Revis this season'...

Basically translates to, he'll get the flashy numbers so some schmuck from Wisconsin won't rob him of the DPOY again :cool:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cromartie has certainly made a big difference in the U.S population since 2004.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Revi$_I$l@nd;3515697]I believe he's getting at 'You'll see more 'big play' ability out of Revis this season'...

Basically translates to, he'll get the flashy numbers so some schmuck from Wisconsin won't rob him of the DPOY again :cool:[/QUOTE]

I see your point. Makes sense.
    But about the DPOY....you underestimate the stupidity of people who vote for this award.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetsFanInDenver;3515764]I see your point. Makes sense.
    But about the DPOY....you underestimate the stupidity of people who vote for this award.[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

They need to see big numbers in the stat column.

They don't care that he's the leader of a secondary that let Rapeaburger throw for 500+ :eek:

A game in which he gave up more TD's than Revis did all season :rolleyes:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Kleckomania;3515705]Cromartie has certainly made a big difference in the U.S population since 2004.[/QUOTE]

:D:D:D:D:yes::yes::

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Kleckomania;3515705]Cromartie has certainly made a big difference in the U.S population since 2004.[/QUOTE]

OMG! He works for the census bureau too? :eek::rolleyes::D

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would keep Revis on their #1 and let Cromart cover the #2 which should be an easier assignment than what he is use to.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=mmckiernan;3515808]I would keep Revis on their #1 and let Cromart cover the #2 which should be an easier assignment than what he is use to.[/QUOTE]

I think Rex is referring to matchups really. As in when we play New England, perhaps the shorter Revis on Welker while Cromartie deals with Moss, who are both very similar in body types.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Revi$_I$l@nd;3515697]I believe he's getting at 'You'll see more 'big play' ability out of Revis this season'...

Basically translates to, he'll get the flashy numbers so some schmuck from Wisconsin won't rob him of the DPOY again :cool:[/QUOTE]

+1 :yes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

:rotfl::rotfl:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

+1 ... Exactly how I read that. :D

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seriously........... has anyone watched the tape?
    [IMG]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i289/tanncomp/5kkln4jpg.gif[/IMG]

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck with that........... clear shot at the runner and never even tried.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think he was already on the payroll.........;)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=badXample;3515912]Seriously........... has anyone watched the tape?
    [IMG]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i289/tanncomp/5kkln4jpg.gif[/IMG][/QUOTE]

My....my god man....what have we done?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3515918]My....my god man....what have we done?[/QUOTE]

Greene is a beast, but Cro clearly didn't even try at a clear shot to the runner. You can see him pull up and stop for no reason, other than being soft and avoiding contact.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=badXample;3515960]Greene is a beast, but Cro clearly didn't even try at a clear shot to the runner. You can see him pull up and stop for no reason, other than being soft and avoiding contact.[/QUOTE]

Being an obvious San Diego fan... do you feel that Norv Turner has the ability to motivate anything at all?

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets women. Run. The Baby Maker is in your area. Hide all the women, Champagne bottles, and lock all the Night Clubs.

Thank you for taking our Pooftah. ;)

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys, yep, diehard Chargers man here, just popped in to see what everyone is thinking in regards to the ScareCro deal you guys have made.

Personally, theres a group of us over at the Charger Board that couldn't be happier to see his arse finally kicked to the curb..........total no brain cancer, that takes gutlessness to a new level, that will never live up to his potential, simply because he has nothing at all going on between the ears.

You'll love his hotdogging on the field, his twittering is legendary,( but you'll need a dictionary to figure it all out) ........ his partying and Champagne bottle throwing need so work though, and well we all know about the antics with the Ladies, its a never-ending story with this Primmadonna.

I really dont see the New York nightlife being of any interest to him whatsoever, I mean we are talking about a highly intelligent individual afterall.

No smack intended, just telling ya like it is ........ this is one trade you'll seriously be regretting come Xmas if NOT before, but we all over at Chargers.com Thank You for taking him off our hands.

Good luck......