Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So now that Cro is in the fold, what do we do with the 1st round pick?

So now that Cro is in the fold, what do we do with the 1st round pick?

I was wondering about this. I assumed we'd take the best man-to-man CB on the board at 29. Now that we have Cro, we won't take a CB in Round 1 or 2 unless something ridiculous happens and a terrific value presents itself.

To me, there are 2 options, WR and a passrusher. Maybe a Golden Tate if he falls to us?

2 words, GOLDEN TATE

Best available CB, WR or DL

All Pro
    Defensive Line round 1 & 2. This defense is going to be awsome adding young d-line man can make this defense under Wizard Rex a dominating defense

All Pro
    2 words

no receivers

Veteran
    BAP PERIOD

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=John_0515;3515732]Best available CB, WR or DL[/QUOTE]

I'd say best available WR, DL, or OLB.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=zonajetfan;3515768]BAP PERIOD[/QUOTE]

I've never understood this. So If Jimmy Clausen is still on the board at #29 and is considered the BAP, you'd take him?

You have to take the BAP at a position that is at least somewhat of a need.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;3515787]I've never understood this. So If Jimmy Clausen is still on the board at #29 and is considered the BAP, you'd take him?

You have to take the BAP at a position that is at least somewhat of a need.[/QUOTE]

QB has zero chance of being the bap at 29. That is the 1 position that the jets would not take tho to your point. My point is take a CB, G, T, DE, DT, S...whatever they have as their best available player on the board. If it was a C or QB...look to trade down IMO

I generally prefer BPA

But I'm hoping that player is a pass rusher for sure.

I did a two-round mock rough draft and I noticed some things:

-I don't think Okung, Campbell, Williams, Davis, Buluga, Iupati, and Pouncey will all go before 29 and they're all pretty solid 1st rounders at this point. Interesting.

-RB's could be aplenty there. Spiller will most assuredly go before 29, but I would be surprised if at least two of the following aren't in play: Matthews, Dwyer, and Best. 1st round talent? Borderline...

-With the depth at WR, I don't think WR's will go as early as they think with teams just saying "I can get a good one in the 2nd." I have Bryant then Tate with Benn falling to our pick. Throw in Williams, Thomas, Gilyard, LaFell etc. and there's value there...even in a trade down scenario.

-The depth at DE/OLB has been well-documented. I think one out of the Morgan, Dunlap, Graham will be there at our pick with the other usual suspects like Sapp, Hughes, etc.

-Teams in the early 2nd who need a QB and passed on Bradford/Clausen could be scratching and clawing to get back in the 1st to ensure they land a Tebow/McCoy. Reach? Yes. But it's supply and demand.

Point of this post. I really like where our pick is. I think it sucks to have a pick in the teens this year.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;3515787]I've never understood this. So If Jimmy Clausen is still on the board at #29 and is considered the BAP, you'd take him?

You have to take the BAP at a position that is at least somewhat of a need.[/QUOTE]

There's literally no chance that Bradford/Clausen are there at 29. There are way too many QB hungry teams to let that happen.

And if by some miracle it does, the Jets will have a great opportunity to fleece someone in a trade.

I think the better question is, what do we do with our first two picks, since the two main areas of need most of us agree on are DE and WR.

As much as I like Tate and Bay-Bay Thomas, I could see us taking one of the better DE/OLB tweeners if they fall to us, like Brandon Graham or Everson Griffen. There should still be some good slot WR candidates in the late 2nd round like Jacoby Ford or Brandon Shipley (who is not a pure slot WR).

Yeah, Tate is a great talent. But you have to look at what combination best addresses the Jets' needs: the best edge rusher in the 1st and the best WR in the 2nd, or vice versa. Considering that [I]any[/I] WR will come in as the #3, while a good OLB/DE could easily be starting in game 1, perhaps we should be focusing on identifying the DE that can best bring pressure from the edge, while understanding that we will find a very talented WR that may better suit what we have available for him at the end of the 2nd round.

[QUOTE=Cack89;3515727]2 words, GOLDEN TATE[/QUOTE]

The Ravens today just made that a 90% chance that Tate would be available at #29 by getting Boldin, since the Ravens were the only team from picks #22 thru 28 that [B]need[/B] a WR.

If Jets don't want Tate then that #29 pick becomes very attractive for trade because these teams at these picks are desperate for a WR and Jets could get their 2nd round pick below along with that team's early 4th rounder.

# 34 overall - Lions
    # 35- T Bay
    # 36 - Chiefs
    # 37 - Redskins
    # 38 - Browns
    # 39 - Raiders
    # 40 - Seahawks
    Last edited by Kleckomania; 03-05-2010 at 09:03 PM.

Give our first rounder to the donkeys for Marshall. there is no WR or player that will make an impact on the JETS like he would for that price.....

draft

At 29,would not mind grabbing a good o-lineman.Faneca and Woody are getting older,never too soon to get their replacement.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=jetsfaninCO;3515900]Give our first rounder to the donkeys for Marshall. there is no WR or player that will make an impact on the JETS like he would for that price.....[/QUOTE]

Yeah, no other WR's would demand a $70 million dollar contract either.

this draft is basically a gift for the jets. they don't need any key positions and can, in theory, take BAP. and it just so happens that this draft is deep in DE/DTs and CBs, which are 2 key areas of need.

conclusion: this is a gift draft for the jets, who desparately need to upgrade the DL and can, if they want, get 2 very good prospects on the DL despite picking 29. or, they can go DL/CB. i go back and forth b/t taking a guy like tate or williams, but in the end, given the depth in this draft, the jets have a prime opportunity to upgrade the DL for years to come. in other years the 29 pick wouldn't have a shot at a guy like odrick.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=section314;3515907]At 29,would not mind grabbing a good o-lineman.Faneca and Woody are getting older,never too soon to get their replacement.[/QUOTE]

If Iupati is there at 29, it would be a solid move IMHO.

All League
    [QUOTE=gangGREENinsider;3515802]I did a two-round mock rough draft and I noticed some things:

-I don't think Okung, Campbell, Williams, Davis, Buluga, Iupati, and Pouncey will all go before 29 and they're all pretty solid 1st rounders at this point. Interesting.

-RB's could be aplenty there. Spiller will most assuredly go before 29, but I would be surprised if at least two of the following aren't in play: Matthews, Dwyer, and Best. 1st round talent? Borderline...

-With the depth at WR, I don't think WR's will go as early as they think with teams just saying "I can get a good one in the 2nd." I have Bryant then Tate with Benn falling to our pick. Throw in Williams, Thomas, Gilyard, LaFell etc. and there's value there...even in a trade down scenario.

-The depth at DE/OLB has been well-documented. I think one out of the Morgan, Dunlap, Graham will be there at our pick with the other usual suspects like Sapp, Hughes, etc.

-Teams in the early 2nd who need a QB and passed on Bradford/Clausen could be scratching and clawing to get back in the 1st to ensure they land a Tebow/McCoy. Reach? Yes. But it's supply and demand.

Point of this post. [B]I really like where our pick is[/B]. I think it sucks to have a pick in the teens this year.[/QUOTE]

Excellent post. I was throwing around the idea of us picking between Tate, Mathews, Robinson, or McCourty.

Then you mention Pouncy. Can he shift to guard? I know you are a big Gator fan so I know your opinion won't reak of homerism. :D

I also think that its less likely that any of the DE/OLBs will fall. SO pick your poison: Mathews to team up with Greene to form a beast of a running game ala Carolina, Robinson or McCourty to give us potentially the deepest secondary in the NFL, or go with Tate to give Sanchez all the weapons we need.

Either way, we will be in a position to add a huge upgrade to any of the units above.