Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So now that Cro is in the fold, what do we do with the 1st round pick?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pcola;3516214]Excellent post. I was throwing around the idea of us picking between Tate, Mathews, Robinson, or McCourty.

Then you mention Pouncy. Can he shift to guard? I know you are a big Gator fan so I know your opinion won't reak of homerism. :D

[/QUOTE]

Perrsonally I love Pouncey for us, not only can he play guard, but I feel like he can play tackle too, just like Woody did...came in after junior year after playing center and eventually played all 3 positions in NFL. He is 6'4 318 lbs and as a college center, has the necessary athleticism. The reason I like him is that he can replace either Faneca or Woody next year. Yes i know he has never played tackle, but he has the size and athleticism to handle RT, esp since we have moved more towards a zone blocking team. Lastly, we have been very luck with injuries, and god forbid we lose mangold for any extended period, this guy can come in and play center.

I know its a lot to ask someone to learn/play 3 positions but we dont need him to start this year, can bring him along as a swing player this year, and have him ready to start next year.

We need to protect our young QB and RB, and keeping the line strong is the way to do it....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    there's no way the jets would take an offensive lineman in the first round of this draft, when ellis is on his last legs and the team couldn't generate any pass rush from its D-line. a guy like slauson could fill in at a guard spot.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Paradis;3515760]2 words

no receivers[/QUOTE]

:confused: I don't understand this. We had the worst passing offense in football last season and people insist we don't need help in that area? Are we really satisfied with Clowney as our number 3 next year? Are we really confident in our current depth at that position? God forbid something happen to Cotchery! If G. Tate, or a wr of equal value, falls to us in the first we'd be crazy not to take him. I understand we have depth issues at other areas, but our WR depth is scary bad IMO
    Last edited by catfish; 03-06-2010 at 10:40 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    TBTDD - The Best Trade Down Deal

Pick up an additional 2nd and a 3rd or 4th....

Heck Trade down twice and end up with 2 2nds, a 3rd, and a 4th...

And go (not necessarily in this order):

DE
    CB - Need a nickel CB
    WR - 3rd / slot / KR/PR
    OLB - Edge Pass Rush

5th Round - OT/OG
    6th - FB (John Conner)
    7th - whatever

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Cack89;3515727]2 words, GOLDEN TATE[/QUOTE]

Why use a first round pick on a WR when the Jets already have two first rate WRs? The Jets are not going to be a 3 WR set team. Sanchez is not a gunslinger ( we saw what happened when he tried).
    Want a slot guy? Get one later. DE is the highest need.
    I have also noted elsewhere that Leon says he is less than 50-50 to come back (all over yesterday's papers).
    That's a problem and may require the Jets to take his 2 tender and their #29 to trade up for CJ Spiller.
    The Jets are a running team and will remain so until Sanchez learns his craft.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=augustiniak;3516266]there's no way the jets would take an offensive lineman in the first round of this draft, when ellis is on his last legs and the team couldn't generate any pass rush from its D-line. a guy like slauson could fill in at a guard spot.[/QUOTE]

I understand the need for youth along the D line. I am just open to the possibility that Dan Williams and Ordick will be gone by the time we pick. If we reach for a lower rated prospect to fill a potential need, it will hurt us in the long run. Also, these guys like Graham, Hughes, etc. are not coming here to play DE. They would come here to be OLBs who we already have legitimate starters.

Maybe they consider taking Lane in the 2nd. Thats about as high as I can see him going so if the jets love him, they should be able to get him there. This would give Ellis an opportunity to rest and also not throw Lane in with the pressures of a rookie playing on the #1 D in the NFL (specially a raw prospect). Now that leads the Jets to taking the best available pick at 29 regardless of position (to a point).

Lets say the Jets have Pouncy or Iupati rated as top 20 and they are still available at 29. Would you pass on both of them to take a DL that may be rated in the 30s? Then what happens if Woody's back gives out? We have been considerably lucky with our OL's health the past two years. Unless they feel Hunter, Turner, or Slausen can fill in long-term, they have to consider the possibility that one of these guys will be available, and what to do if our other "crushes" are gone by 29.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=catfish;3516273]:confused: I don't understand this. We had the worst passing offense in football last season and people insist we don't need help in that area? Are we really satisfied with Clowney as our number 3 next year? Are we really confident in our current depth at that position? God forbid something happen to Cotchery! If G. Tate, or a wr of equal value, falls to us in the first we'd be crazy not to take him. I understand we have depth issues at other areas, but our WR depth is scary bad IMO[/QUOTE]

The Jets picked up Edwards well into the season.
    The reason the Jets passing offense was lousy was the QB. Forget the reason why (rookie, hurt etc) - it was Sanchez who was the problem. Now a year in he'll be better just like he was after they put a leash on him.
    Clowney stinks. Pick up a real WR late 2 or early 3 on a trade down.
    How many teams have three big time WRs. I can't think of one. Forget Indy - Collie and Garcon are ok but where were they drafted?
    And a first rounder to sit on the bench and wait for three WR sets. NO.
    The Jets were effective last year because of a #1 pass defense and a #1 run offense. Tighten up the run defense with a DE. Add a slot guy. Love Jacoby Ford. Plus the guy is a kick returner.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=catfish;3516273]:confused: I don't understand this. We had the worst passing offense in football last season and people insist we don't need help in that area? Are we really satisfied with Clowney as our number 3 next year? Are we really confident in our current depth at that position? God forbid something happen to Cotchery! If G. Tate, or a wr of equal value, falls to us in the first we'd be crazy not to take him. I understand we have depth issues at other areas, but our WR depth is scary bad IMO[/QUOTE]

Agreed, my opinion has not changed. Take the best player available at 29. I'd take a WR, DE, OLB, S, CB, RB, NT

Essentially we are covered in all of those positions. We have a bit more age at DE but we also have some decent young guys who have played there like Devito. Even if we draft a DE there is no guarantee he will automatically jump in and be a full time starter.

If you can improve a position you already have covered in the draft that is fine. We have Safeties? We can get a better Safety. We have CB's we perhaps need a 3rd CB for slot coverage.

Now if the team is sitting there looking at a number of players of perceived = value then of course you will be going for a position of more need like DE due to the age thing but if a really good player falls into your lap that is the best prospect you should take him in my opinion.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^ our rb depth is just as scary and far more important to the success of our offense. we've already spend a rnd 3 pick on Edwards, i'd like to see RB addressed first.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pcola;3516214]Excellent post. I was throwing around the idea of us picking between Tate, Mathews, Robinson, or McCourty.

Then you mention Pouncy. Can he shift to guard? I know you are a big Gator fan so I know your opinion won't reak of homerism. :D

I also think that its less likely that any of the DE/OLBs will fall. SO pick your poison: Mathews to team up with Greene to form a beast of a running game ala Carolina, Robinson or McCourty to give us potentially the deepest secondary in the NFL, or go with Tate to give Sanchez all the weapons we need.

Either way, we will be in a position to add a huge upgrade to any of the units above.[/QUOTE]

My Gator posts are always fair! I know Dunlap has turd characteristics, Tebow has a ton of work to do, and that Spikes is a liability in coverage.

Anywho, yeah definitely. But someone will take him high before of his value as a C. He's going to be one of the best C's in the NFL for awhile.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Trade the 1st round pick and draft Jordan Shipley in the 2nd round.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Terrance Cody or Dan Williams is there at 29 there is no way we pass on either of them. Huge mountains of men don't come along that often. Cody will play as a 2 down linemen and we don't need him to be more than that. Plus it'll make it so that Jenkins can play at DE against the smaller tackles and take less wear on his injury prone body.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Paradis;3516387]^ our rb depth is just as scary and far more important to the success of our offense. we've already spend a rnd 3 pick on Edwards, i'd like to see RB addressed first.[/QUOTE]

We'll be getting a running back somewhere in this draft. Either that or resign TJ on the cheap but I'd prefer to get a younger and more explosive backup to Greene.

My general preference is BPA in round 1.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kdelgado;3516452]If Terrance Cody or Dan Williams is there at 29 there is no way we pass on either of them. Huge mountains of men don't come along that often. Cody will play as a 2 down linemen and we don't need him to be more than that. Plus it'll make it so that Jenkins can play at DE against the smaller tackles and take less wear on his injury prone body.[/QUOTE]

People are going to b*tch if Tanny takes Cody but they're just stupid. Jenkins is coming off an ACL tear and was injury prone to begin with and yes Pouha has finally awoke but what if he comes back down to earth next year or gets injured? Also like you said we can even use Jenkins as a 3-4 DE where he would maul people or go with 4 man fronts occasionally. Nose Tackles are very difficult to find just ask Mangina who tried to run a 3-4 for 2 years with Dewayne friggin Robertson.

Oh but Cody runs a 5.75. That's too bad because we all know Nose Tackles run 40 yards in a straight line very often during an NFL game.:rolleyes:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=gangGREENinsider;3516407]My Gator posts are always fair! I know Dunlap has turd characteristics, Tebow has a ton of work to do, and that Spikes is a liability in coverage.

Anywho, yeah definitely. But someone will take him high before of his value as a C. He's going to be one of the best C's in the NFL for awhile.[/QUOTE]

Hey I was just giving you a hard time. I live in Pensacola (ton of Gator fans) and work in Foley, AL (obviously AL fans). So I have to hear about both of those schools daily.

I agree that there are too many teams in front of us that need OL. Plus, I wouldn't be shocked if the Colts moved up and got Pouncey.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=VincenzoTestaverde;3516457]People are going to b*tch if Tanny takes Cody but they're just stupid. Jenkins is coming off an ACL tear and was injury prone to begin with and yes Pouha has finally awoke but what if he comes back down to earth next year or gets injured? Also like you said we can even use Jenkins as a 3-4 DE where he would maul people or go with 4 man fronts occasionally. Nose Tackles are very difficult to find just ask Mangina who tried to run a 3-4 for 2 years with Dewayne friggin Robertson.

Oh but Cody runs a 5.75. That's too bad because we all know Nose Tackles run 40 yards in a straight line very often during an NFL game.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I'm still waiting to see how much he benches. Far more important to judge a D-line prospect with than the 40... though his 10 yard burst was fairly miserable iirc