Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gholston

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Gholston

Yeah, another thread on this deadbeat.

I've been seeing his name mentioned often in regards to the Jets draft, as in "The Jets won't draft player x, y, or Z because they already have Gholston and his big contract and Pace and HIS contract at the OLB position". Obviously, this is coming up with the thought that the Jets may have the opportunity to get an edge rusher like Sergio Kindle, Brandon Graham (I wish)or Jerry Hughes in the upcoming draft.

But my question is, with Gholstons complete lack of impact as an NFL player and his status as a textbook "Bust", do people really think that Rex or Tanny would shy away from drafting an Edge Rusher in the first round because of Vernon Gholston and his contract (which is a constant reminder of a HUGE mistake that continues to cost them money)?

If given a chance to get a guy they think could be a major upgrade for the Defense, would finances limit them to taking a guy who could be both a need and the BPA when they pick? How many chances do people think Gholston should get, and does the fact that he WAS a first rounder basically give Gholston the right to continue to sit on the sidelines, or stink it up while collecting a hefty paycheck and occupying a roster spot?

Just curious because I've seen a lot of the mindset both here and in the media that the Jets won't pick, say, Jerry Hughes at 29 "because they still have a lot tied up in former First Round pick Vernon Gholston".

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 03-05-2010 at 11:53 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree. The only reason Gholston is still on the roster is because of his contract- but that won't keep the Jets from drafting someone at 29. Another top 6 pick at OLB? maybe there's a point.. but not at 29.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gholstens a joke. ****!n turd

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Totally agree.

I don't give a sh*t how much money we have invested in the linebacker position, you keep drafting passrushers until you can find one that can make an impact.

Gholston has shown nothing so far. I know we all want to believe that things will suddenly start to click and he'll breakout, but that's just sheer optimism.

If Graham is there, you take him, period. Just too good of a player to pass up and he would fill an immediate need. I also have no objections to taking a guy like Kindle or Hughes.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=shuler82;3515948]I agree. The only reason Gholston is still on the roster is because of his contract- but that won't keep the Jets from drafting someone at 29. Another top 6 pick at OLB? maybe there's a point.. but not at 29.[/QUOTE]

Especially since it is an uncapped year. The Jets dont have to worry about one position taking up too much money and taking away from other areas.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely not.

It doesn't matter how much money you have tied up in one position, if it's still not suitably addressed.

PS: #29 picks do not make a lot of money anyways. Only Top 10 makes a ton of real money right out of college.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hes not a joke Joe, hes an ALBATROSS. A colossal, enormous draft miscalculation and a constant sore spot that the Jets need to cut bait with ASAP in my opinion. WHO CARES if some other team signs him, the guy does not have the instinct, heart, desire, or football talent to succeed in the NFL.

Its time to draft a FOOTBALL PLAYER for the job of an actual, real threat as an Edge Rusher and bid farewell to Mr. Ghost

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another Tanny BUST.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2;3515979]Another Tanny BUST.[/QUOTE]

You want a fresh one?

Settle down.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    maybe its just me, but i actually havent seen anyone suggest that gholston is going to influence the jets draft decisions...even if he werent a bust, pass rush is clearly the biggest need on this team

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pace is really good, Bryan Thomas is good in coverage and is a little underrated around here, and Rex has publicly stated that Vernon deserves more playing time and opportunities. Lots of money tied up in this position. I would be surprised if we go OLB at #29 but am not against it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think it's more likely we draft a DE/OLB late rather than early.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think if they were picking in the top 12 in the draft they would be gunshy on a pass rusher, but at 29 they are going to go BAP. According to Tannenbaum they were locked in at CB at 29 until the trade. Now they should be looking to take who they feel is best value.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    won't stop the Jets from taking an edge rusher at all... in fact, after getting Cro, I think there is a good chance Tanny will grab a DE or OLB in round 1 and/or 2... especially if Tate is off the board.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Question... say he sucks the first 8 games, which most likely he will, can we cut him midseason and save our cap for next year?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Even with Gholston's contract our two starting OLBs are over 30, so it would make sense to load up on pass rushers now to plan for the future. And if there's any chance we can get Sergio Kindle we'll be set at that position for years. :yes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quality organizations also develop talent behind their starting talent...kind of like the Jets might have been doing with Gholston.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3516119]Quality organizations also develop talent behind their starting talent...kind of like the Jets might have been doing with Gholston.[/QUOTE]

Ya don't say!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Look, I admit Gholston has been a colossal disappointment.

But.... Has he really had a shot? He didn't play at all his rookie year, and last year he was pretty decent until he lost his starting job to pace.

I really feel that a guy making this type of transition needs to be thrown into the fire from the get-go, he has to be given time to develop, to learn, to fail.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Chupa;3516123]Look, I admit Gholston has been a colossal disappointment.

But.... Has he really had a shot? He didn't play at all his rookie year, and last year he was pretty decent until he lost his starting job to pace.

I really feel that a guy making this type of transition needs to be thrown into the fire from the get-go, he has to be given time to develop, to learn, to fail.[/QUOTE]

I'm all for him having a legit shot....(maybe even a couple mistakes :eek:)
    But we'd better have a real "backup" who CAN get the job done if Vernon can't.