Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gholston

Jets Insider VIP
    please god..... no more gholston threads until

a) he actually does something on a football field

b) he gets released and we are rid of him

this is how gholston will impact the 2010 draft: it will give tanny some pause before drafting a hybrid DE/OLB who is expected to have to transition from a DE in college to an OLB in the nfl. that said, this time around, he has rex and his assistants, in addition to the scouts, to help make the decision.

gholston sucks. they should have drafted mayo that year. off the subject of this douchebag for a second, does anybody know what RB free agent we are looking at? taylor would have been a nice fit but thats not happening anymore.

[QUOTE=jetsfaneh;3516000]Pace is really good, Bryan Thomas is good in coverage and is a little underrated around here, and Rex has publicly stated that Vernon deserves more playing time and opportunities. Lots of money tied up in this position. I would be surprised if we go OLB at #29 but am not against it.[/QUOTE]

You point is valid. The Jets have 2 solid starters at OLB. Gholston is a backup currently and there is the future HOFer Westerman. The bigger need is 3-4 DE. Ellis is old (yes he was effective last year but old at 32). Douglas is also 32.
    Plus you may need an RB. Jones may not resign after being cut and Leon says less than 50-50 he comes back. Maybe a lot of smoke, maybe not.
    DE as the first pick. WR as the second. Unless Leon leaves.

Rookie
    [QUOTE=Chupa;3516123]Look, I admit Gholston has been a colossal disappointment.

But.... Has he really had a shot? He didn't play at all his rookie year, and last year he was pretty decent until he lost his starting job to pace.

I really feel that a guy making this type of transition needs to be thrown into the fire from the get-go, he has to be given time to develop, to learn, to fail.[/QUOTE]
    So this off-season... Rex needs to grab this guy by the facemask Look him eye to eye, tell him this is is it... **** or get off the pot.....Ride his ass all through OTA,'s camp, then make him play every preseason game as if he was a pro-bowl caliber starter. If he comes around great..... if not at any point... cut his ass, take the medicine and move on.... meanwhile, use the draft to find a replacement... because after almost three years in the NFL with no development, the chance of success with my strategy is poor.:steamin:

[QUOTE=Untouchable;3515984]You want a fresh one?

Settle down.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_geaYLaNDaUw/SbRYFh9yKQI/AAAAAAAAA9E/U_tNHps_Qno/s400/analyze+this+1.bmp[/IMG]

Look - he's a product of the Ohio State Luckeyes defense. Everyone knows you only draft offensive linemen from that school! ;)

Could you imagine if we still had John Abraham with this current defense:eek:

[QUOTE=jetman in indy;3516342]Could you imagine if we still had John Abraham with this current defense:eek:[/QUOTE]

Then the Jets wouldn't have Mangold. I'll take Mangold

[QUOTE=jetman in indy;3516342]Could you imagine if we still had John Abraham with this current defense:eek:[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2009/football/nfl/draft-2009/04/28/2010/greg-hardy.jpg[/IMG]

All League
    Gholston should have NO affect whatsoever on what we do in the draft this year, infact I believe that if anything he should have the opposite affect and make us look for/draft a OLB pass rusher since he hasn't got the job done yet and shows no signs of doing it either.

Personally I WANT the Jets to go OLB in round 1, pass rushing is way too valuable, especially in Rex's system.
    Last edited by PaPZ187; 03-06-2010 at 12:42 PM.

All Pro
    My concern with Gholston, now that he's had significant opportunity under new leadership is that I can't remember even one play where he showed a flash of brilliance or serious talent lurking behind a raw exterior. He has been decent at best and invisible at worst. I figured it was fair to give him a full year to show something before labeling him dead weight, but I'm highly dubious at this point that he will suddenly wake up and become a good starter, much less a very good one. I've joined the sceptics on Vernon.

[QUOTE=gpers75;3516197]gholston sucks. they should have drafted mayo that year. off the subject of this douchebag for a second, does anybody know what RB free agent we are looking at? taylor would have been a nice fit but thats not happening anymore.[/QUOTE]

Who drafts a non-pass rushing LB with a top 6 pick?

All League

Abraham was good but he was injury prone. The best player in the world is no good to us if he can't stay on field.

No, it will have no impact at all.

When we drafted the ghost, we already had Bryan Thomas and his big contract.

He was basically the same then as the ghost is now. He then became a decent player, not exceptional, but decent.

One thing that everyone seems to forget about Ghoulston is that we really didn't want him when we drafted him. We were stuck in that 6th position, the couple of players that we wanted already went. The talent dropped off drastically after that 6th spot. We were stuck in No Man's Land. Noone would trade up with us and it would have cost way too much for us to have traded up to get one of the other players that we wanted.

Vernon was a big ??? and everyone knew it. He was either going to be a phenom or a bust. We had no choice. Nowhere to go and no matter who we would have drafted in that spot would have been considered a bust. And had we drafted someone else, and Vernon turned out to be the phenom that he had the potential to be, Tannenbaum would not still be here. He would have been run out of town.

So, please, everyone just get over it. We had no other choice and we did the best that we could have with a bad situation. It just didn't work.

[QUOTE]So, please, everyone just get over it. We had no other choice and we did the best that we could have with a bad situation. It just hasn't worked out so far.[/QUOTE]

Fixed for a +1

Undrafted Free Agent
    [QUOTE=VAJET58;3516409]No, it will have no impact at all.

When we drafted the ghost, we already had Bryan Thomas and his big contract.

He was basically the same then as the ghost is now. He then became a decent player, not exceptional, but decent.

One thing that everyone seems to forget about Ghoulston is that we really didn't want him when we drafted him. We were stuck in that 6th position, the couple of players that we wanted already went. The talent dropped off drastically after that 6th spot. We were stuck in No Man's Land. Noone would trade up with us and it would have cost way too much for us to have traded up to get one of the other players that we wanted.

Vernon was a big ??? and everyone knew it. He was either going to be a phenom or a bust. We had no choice. Nowhere to go and no matter who we would have drafted in that spot would have been considered a bust. And had we drafted someone else, and Vernon turned out to be the phenom that he had the potential to be, Tannenbaum would not still be here. He would have been run out of town.

So, please, everyone just get over it. We had no other choice and we did the best that we could have with a bad situation. It just didn't work.[/QUOTE]

We could have passed on the pick like the Vikings did a few years back until ,say... the tenth or fifteenth pick or where ever we felt good value was.:rolleyes:

[QUOTE=Jet Ski;3516429]We could have passed on the pick like the Vikings did a few years back until ,say... the tenth or fifteenth pick or where ever we felt good value was.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Yea uh...everyone on the Vikings was pretty pissed off at the time. It's not some super plan they came up with to fool the league. They're lucky as hell they landed Kevin Williams that year ('03), but there was no Kevin Williams in '08's draft.

Undrafted Free Agent
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3516433]Yea uh...everyone on the Vikings was pretty pissed off at the time. It's not some super plan they came up with to fool the league. They're lucky as hell they landed Kevin Williams that year ('03), but there was no Kevin Williams in '08's draft.[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.nfl.com/draft/2008[/url]

Some pretty interesting names on that list: Flacco,Chris Johnson, Rivers just to name a few.:yes:

Veteran
    I think its pretty obvious vernon has the ability to be a good player. It seems as if he just doesn't care to be an impact player. He got a huge contract and seems content to cash his checks without having to put it much effort. Every blurb from him is "I just try to do what's asked of me" not the stuff from a motivated guy. But its hard to cut a guy who has the potential he has.
    He played like a beast in college in order to get a huge contract. Now he just coasts, somebody has to find out what will motivate him. Unfortunately you can't force a guy to play hard if he just doesn't care