Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rolle signs with Giants, now highest paid Safety

Rolle signs with Giants, now highest paid Safety

[quote] Giants signed FS Antrel Rolle to a five-year, $37 million contract that includes $15 million guaranteed.
    He's the NFL's highest paid safety, ever. The Giants needed to upgrade the position, but of all the free agent signings so far, we like this one the least. Rolle has fine ball skills and range, but has never made a Pro Bowl, tackled poorly throughout last season, and often seems to be out of position. In a perfect world the Giants would team him with SS Kenny Phillips to form an imposing safety duo. Phillips' future is cloudy, however, as he recovers from microfracture knee surgery. [/quote]

[url]http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/status/10056101817[/url]

Wow.

All League

Giants get S Rolle

Biggest contract ever for a Safety

Per schefter

You can't beat me, I'm on fire!

Definately fills a need for the Giants. The article really puts Rolle in a bad light considering how great of a player he was talked up to be on this board.

[QUOTE=intothegreen;3515961]Definately fills a need for the Giants. The article really puts Rolle in a bad light considering how great of a player he was talked up to be on this board.[/QUOTE]

The problem is he's not as great of a player as he's been talked up to be on this board.

A Rolle in NY

is it true he signed with the Giants?

Apparently.

[url]http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2010/03/ny_giants_sign_safety_antrel_r.html[/url]

[QUOTE]
    For the second straight year, the Giants identified a defensive player, brought him in for a visit on the first day and signed him to a long-term contract. Last year, it was linebacker Michael Boley; this year it's safety Antrel Rolle.

The former Arizona Cardinal agreed to terms on a five-year contract Friday night, according to someone informed of the progress of negotiations. The person, who requested anonymity because the Giants haven't yet announced the signing, confirmed ESPN's initial report the contract is worth $37 million with $15 million guaranteed.[/QUOTE]

Jets Insider VIP
    Yes, 'tis true.

[QUOTE=Ven0m;3515963]The problem is he's not as great of a player as he's been talked up to be on this board.[/QUOTE]

Well thats anticipated. No one is ever as good or bad as people on this board make them out to be, but that does make for good conversation and debate.

And somewhere Darnell Dockett cries..

Darnell Dockett's Twitter

[QUOTE]Man I'm bout to CRY! ! Birdgang is over now its like "torn feathers" watching dansby get ready to go is tough! I need a DRANK! A double thx. First Calvin pace, then antonio smith, now dansby and rolle.!! This could of been a real NAsty Defense and we are all young! I'm crying Now. I'm not watching NO MORE NFL FREE AGENT TALK, I'm done !!!! This is depressing!! #RIP-BIRDGANG. What a day! I'm gonna Retire!!! I shouldn't love something that won't love u back!!-> 1st the fat boys break up then the ROC, now Birdgang! I just talked to Antrell Rolle!! And I already know what's about to happen, mann I'm speechless I'm going to Bed. I'm done with twitter BYE! Shoutout to all the NFL teams that's spending money to get better! The rams go after Mc Nabb, 49ers got 2 1st rd picks, seattle trying to get WR Marshall and TE watson! Mann! *tapping my feet* *rollingeyes* [/QUOTE]

Trader Mike, get on the phone.

2nd rounder and Giving Rex 5 min to inspire Kurt to unretire for Dockett.:yes:

I'd trade our whole draft this year for Dockett.

[QUOTE=SenorGato;3516044]I'd trade our whole draft this year for Dockett.[/QUOTE]

you're nuts. Dockett is good, but not that good.

Good pickup for the Giants. They overpaid though.

Sucks to hear about Kenny Phillips. Dude has skills.

Arizona has been absolutely picked apart this offseason

Kurt Warner
    Karlos Dansby
    Antrelle Rolle
    Anquan Boldin

4 of their best players are gone.

Hall Of Fame
    home of the hot guy in my avatar.. oh baby!
    looks like the NFC west is going to be an open invitation now. if the 9ers could get a decent qb, they could take over the NFC west.

[QUOTE=Ven0m;3515963]The problem is he's not as great of a player as he's been talked up to be on this board.[/QUOTE]

And it's really embarrasing... THe article states everything I tried to in the other Rolle thread.

He was drafted as a corner and failed there becuase he doesn't have the hips to play it. Although he could tackle in comparison to other corners, he can't tackle compared to other safeties. Same concept as Brad Smith. Throws good for a receiver, SUCKS for a QB.

He's also not that GREAT at coverage either.

This will turn out to be a bust for the Giants. He'll be OK at best but another bad signing by Reese. COupled with the retarded signing of last year with Canty not fitting that system at all.

[QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;3516067]you're nuts. Dockett is good, but not that good.[/QUOTE]

Wasn't even worth replying to...

[QUOTE=SenorGato;3516044]I'd trade our whole draft this year for Dockett.[/QUOTE]

Tells me all I need to know... Thanks!

[QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;3516067]you're nuts. Dockett is good, but not that good.[/QUOTE]

He's the most underrated DL player in the whole league...beasted in the playoffs too.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 03-06-2010 at 04:53 AM.