Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rolle signs with Giants, now highest paid Safety

Hall Of Fame
    is Kenny Phillips permanently injured??

If not, the Giants just gave the biggest defensive back contract ever to a guy who isn't even the best safety on their team

All Pro
    This is a perfect example when your team has big needs after a bad season. It basically forces you to overpay and while Rolle is a very good player, he is not worth that kind of money. Makes you appreciate the way Tannenbaum has handled things in recent years even though we also spent a bit in free agency...

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    is Kenny Phillips permanently injured??

If not, the Giants just gave the biggest defensive back contract ever to a guy who isn't even the best safety on their team
    No, but he has a serious arthtritic knee condition, he is better but you never know, and the secondary was a huge part of their problems last year.

All League
    wow did they ever over pay for him

Rolle is a good player, but nowhere near what they're paying him.

I'm already arguing with Giants fans who think their Safety tandem is better than ours.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBensAngel7 View Post
    looks like the NFC west is going to be an open invitation now. if the 9ers could get a decent qb, they could take over the NFC west.
    Alex Smith was good at the end of the last year.

Him and Vernon Davis were unstoppable in the last quarter of the season.

I think they take the division next year.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Danza View Post

I'd wait until after the draft to make that proclimation. Arizona has 8 picks in the draft. They could pick up some really good players in a really deep draft.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGKIDD325 View Post
    I'd wait until after the draft to make that proclimation. Arizona has 8 picks in the draft. They could pick up some really good players in a really deep draft.
    Just my opinion but with their lack of a running game and the change at QB even if it is not Linnert their ship has sailed.

All League
    Two words...

Matt Leinart.

put those 49er bets in now.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace Wright View Post

I'm already arguing with Giants fans who think their Safety tandem is better than ours.
    It's going to be pretty close between the two teams. If Phillips is healthy they have two really good players who can play either role back there....

BTW guys: Everyone's both overpaid and underpaid. Focusing on the money aspect is more annoying than anything else. The market is the market...
    Last edited by SenorGato; 03-06-2010 at 12:00 PM.

All League
    Two words...

Matt Leinart.

put those 49er bets in now.
    He had some good games before he got hurt and conceded that job. He has a fantastic set of receiver even without Boldin. It wouldn't surprise me if he were to play well.

Banned
    Arizona has been absolutely picked apart this offseason

Kurt Warner
    Karlos Dansby
    Antrelle Rolle
    Anquan Boldin

4 of their best players are gone.
    Next year is clearly a rebuilding season for Arizona. They went to the playoffs last two years including a trip to the Super Bowl so ownership believes the fans will be willing to wait until 2011 or 2012. They're going to see if Leinart has anything next season.

Giants definitely overpaid for a Safety. Especially considering this is a pretty deep draft at the position. No way do you give a Safety that kind of money unless he's named Reed or Polumalu. Jerry Reese is one of the best GM's in the league but this looks like an overreaction to the defense falling apart last season.

Banned

I think so too. They have the running game with Gore and their passing attack has a chance to be very good with Vernon Davis and Crabtree. Alex Smith just has to play decent.

Arizona has been absolutely picked apart this offseason

Kurt Warner
    Karlos Dansby
    Antrelle Rolle
    Anquan Boldin

4 of their best players are gone.
    It's been going on a while too...Pace...Antonio Smith is a REALLY underrated player (as is their whole D)...I think Robinson just retired on their DL...the good thing is that they sucked for so long that they had guys who could step up. That said, they never replaced Pace and Dansby will also be extremely hard to replace.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    This is a perfect example when your team has big needs after a bad season. It basically forces you to overpay and while Rolle is a very good player, he is not worth that kind of money. Makes you appreciate the way Tannenbaum has handled things in recent years even though we also spent a bit in free agency...
    LOL, what are you talking about?

The money we paid to Faneca, Woody, and Pace is exactly what you just described. We totally overpaid after a bad year to fill needs.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    LOL, what are you talking about?

The money we paid to Faneca, Woody, and Pace is exactly what you just described. We totally overpaid after a bad year to fill needs.
    I don't think you overpaid for Woody and Faneca when you had one of if not the best lines in football for the past two years.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallace Wright View Post

If Philips can come back 100% and be healthy, he would have a pretty strong argument. But that's a huge IF with that injury.

Overpaid, hes not that good of a safety. Jerry Reese is so overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by MDL_JET View Post
    If Philips can come back 100% and be healthy, he would have a pretty strong argument. But that's a huge IF with that injury.
    Disagree.

Even the people on here who hated Rhodes agreed that he was still better than Rolle. IF Phillips comes back and is 100%, it would be close. He's a good safety, but nothing too special.

And Leonhard is boss.

Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    Next year is clearly a rebuilding season for Arizona. They went to the playoffs last two years including a trip to the Super Bowl so ownership believes the fans will be willing to wait until 2011 or 2012. They're going to see if Leinart has anything next season.

Giants definitely overpaid for a Safety. Especially considering this is a pretty deep draft at the position. No way do you give a Safety that kind of money unless he's named Reed or Polumalu. Jerry Reese is one of the best GM's in the league but this looks like an overreaction to the defense falling apart last season.
    Seriously? He won a Super Bowl in his first season as GM with a team he didn't build and since then they've gotten worse every year. This is the equivalent of someone saying Sanchez is already a HOF-er. Reese hasn't done anything to warrant top half consideration in the league.